Register now to get rid of these ads!

Update. Maybe even semi tech. Roll pan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeem, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

This is going to suck for a tech post but the pictures tell the story. I think.
    ----------
    This is the altered :) wheelbase truck in question. It needs a roll pan under the tailgate.
    [​IMG]
    If you look at the hood you can find all sorts of uses for the sheetmetal contained within. I used a spare hood to make wheel tubs as well as a major portion of the roll pan.
    [​IMG]
    Basically, I measured and cut the ends, lengthwise, off of the hood and we welded them into place in the bed. I capped the ends off with more sheetmetal (also from the hood, had a friend louver them too). The whole bed area will probably get a spray in lining because I cringe at doing that much more body work just to get the tiny dings and imperfections out, yeah, laziness.
    ------
    Here is a pic of what I have so far for the roll pan, hopefully it makes sense as it is what's left of that hood. More louvers and the entire edge front and rear has a small 90º lip hammered into it for strength and to give it a finished edge. The end caps started as 3" dia. exhaust tube u-bend, well, it had to be pie cut in a few places to make a nice bookend match for the lower bed corners. The tubing was then split into quarters and two of the pieces were swapped side for side and then vertical sections of sheet were welded to it. Those endcaps were then welded to the louvered hood section. The difference between what I have to date, and the bed corners will be spanned with more sheetmetal. I'll actually have to go buy some flat sheet for that (unless someone has another hood for the cause!)
    [​IMG]What you are lookin' at is upside down sitting on the driveway, it'll be flipped and attaches to the bed under the tailgate (no shit?) and the relief in the center goes around the license plate.
    ---------
    As soon as we get that together and get rid of a few more minor dings as well as tune up the tailgate itself, I'll be getting some sealer put on it, no more nekkid truck.

2. man, im really a fan of that truck...great post.

3. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

me to.........

4. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

JEEM you fuckin ROCKSTAR!! you KNOW i love that truck. you need to post some more pics, and no little tiny ones either. i think i'm following you but i need more visuals. if it was your idea i KNOW it'll be fuckin AWESOME!! that looks like some TOP NOTCH metal work. did you do that?? i think you should do the body work in the bed too :D . easy for me to say, right?

i can't wait to see that roll pan ON the truck.

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

......you rock.

6. Cool!

I'd like to see a pic of it when you get it on the truck!

Sam.

7. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Truck looks good nekkid tho.

8. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Can you post a bigger pic of the pan? I can't make out much of anything at that size.

9. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Sorry, I posted last night and thought I had it right. It's fixed. Look where the license goes and you'll see two dimpled areas, that's where the hood emblem went. The plate covers that area entirely but I'll clean it up a little. Oh, those those boot tips are those of 55safari, who's gonna make the cookies?
    -----------
    Those two extra louvers?! Don't ask.
    -----------
    I told you this tech post would suck, I just looked at that pic of the pan and it is right side up after all. The way you are looking at it is the way it attaches to the bed.

10. Don't give up your day job, Jimmy...:p :D

Jus' kiddin.....looks tits. You're a man of many talents ;)

11. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks, but it's pretty basic stuff. Something you'd knock out in your sleep!
    Me too.

12. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i don't know. since i've been laid off i've been sleeping ALOT and still nothing seems to get done when i'm asleep :confused: . guess i'll just have to try harder :D .

it looks killer Jeem. i think i'd cut out and weld up those tow "extra" louvers though. get that sumbitch done so we can see it on the truck. your such a tease!!

how'd that home (work space) improvement project go?? get it done yet??

13. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

FYI. if you ever sell that truck i want a crack at buyin it. i like it! ;)

14. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I dig it, lets see a pic. of it installed !

15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Holy shit what a cool truck. Get that pan on and post pics!

16. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

The concrete is in and setting up rock hard like, well......

Built a fence on the other side of the house for a dog run and now the doggies are pooping over there and my one geriatric dog is not pissing in the garage anymore. I so miss the essence of dog urine on a hot summer day.....
    Need to build the awning for my future work area as well as a porch cover for the back of the house, but that's another story.

I'll be attaching and hopefully somewhat finishing the pan this weekend, I'll post pics then.

17. Barrows

Barrows
    from Union ME

Wow, I love that!

18. TRUCKRODDER

TRUCKRODDER

Looks great, and recycled parts ,well done! :cool:

19. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Yeah, how many tree huggin' green people do you know that put this much effort into recycling?:)

20. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

Nice piece...need to see it on the truck. Get that garage finished!

21. GreggAz

GreggAz

come on jeem dont keep the people waiting... lets see the "finished" product!

22. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Well, thanks to 55Safari and his magical metal fusing box, the roll pan is for all intents and purposes, finished! A little tweaking and a few more hidden attachment points and it'll be there.
    [​IMG]
    You can see, hopefully, the end pieces that were welded to the center section. I put a couple of 90ºs in the end pieces with my sheetmetal brake A.K.A. the front door (not recommended as the door casing hates it) then I put a gentle roll in it to match the profile of the lower bed corner, once that was completed, I broke out with my OTHER sheetmetal brake A.K.A. a pair of vice grips and slowly worked a 90 in the edges that would mate up with the bed corners.
    [​IMG]
    Here it is, somewhat, mostly attached to the bed. Sorry for the shameful display of alcohol. Think of it as a reference for scaling.

23. FONZI

FONZI

You have taken my favorite model pick up and made me love it even more! Great funkin job. Love it.

FONZI

24. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

uhhhhhh, thanks! That little roll pan was a lot of work for a simpleton like me.

25. Cool fo shizzle!

26. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

sheeit. you've taken a truck that i did care much for and made ME love it. now THATS impressize.

love it Jeembo. good job.

27. Mel

Mel

sweet! looks great!

28. loogy

loogy

That looks great Jeem. Makes me wish that I had an extra hood laying around.

Chris