Register now to get rid of these ads!

Considering an old Stude truck purchase - looking for advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by XXL__, Mar 29, 2012.

1. XXL__

XXL__

I've used search, and already read a couple dozen topical threads...

I'm looking at a '53 Stude truck with 241 Red Ram Hemi and 3-speed with electric OD (not working). This vehicle would be a "daily driver" type for my soon-to-be-licensed daughter, as well as a project vehicle (smaller projects while it's a driver). Of course, I'll apply due diligence when checking it out in person for condition.

What model-specific things should I pay special attention to when looking the vehicle over?

What concerns should I have over the drivetrain?

Also, some shortlist changes daughter and I have discussed for this are as follows--

• stab in an HEI distributor. It looks to be about $500 from Hot Heads for a Mallory unit and wires
    • update the brakes (any suggestions for fitment? I'd like to do discs up front, at least, and boost assist. Anyone got a fairly smooth conversion suggestion?)
    • yank the stick and electric OD in favor of a 700R4 conversion. Hot Heads has an adapter for about $400. Not sure what I'd need on the prop shaft end, and I'm guessing driveshaft length change.

Thoughts? ... related to the vehicle, not your version of what I should do as a parent.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, going to stick a newbie driver in an old unproven ride and hope for the best. why not start her out in a later model ride with more safety features to protect her. get truck for project and then with some miles on the road under her belt switch over to truck. start with 3 point safety belt in truck.

3. XXL__

XXL__

Thanks. I've got a post over on tellmehowtoparentmychild.com as well. On the HAMB, I was hoping to focus on the vehicle.

4. "Thanks. I've got a post over on tellmehowtoparentmychild.com as well."

That is funny funny stuff right there!~

5. Did you ask her what she thought of the truck? I'm not trying to tell you how to parent in this case; I think it means the difference of whether she's going to baby or beat the truck.

6. I would just be concerned with the basic shit , compression, belts , brakes, rust, oil in engine compartment and such...... I am also gonna go the same route with my girls.... good luck

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I have seen several trucks with the door hinges broken. But it's just a pin that goes and can be replaced with a bolt. Won't look original but mine works that way. I bought a Turner brake kit and think it may be the best thing I ever put on the car. I used a Summit universal firewall mount master cylinder and booster. If you want to stay with the under floor MC I don't know what to use.

8. sixinarowjoe

sixinarowjoe
    from eastcoast

Lmao!!-that is some funny shit right there , give it a few days and you will learn how to cut your grass the right way !

9. 73RR

73RR

$500 for ignition??:eek: Mopar conversion package P3690426 at ½ that price, or, get a reman dizzy off of ebay and the small parts from Napa, or, go to your local pick-n-pull.....
    The 318 distributor drops in a 241 without any adapters. If you go that route I'll post a wiring schematic.

I started my daughter on a 5-speed...sink or swim...now she can get in just about any car or truck and drive it. I considered it a safety item.

If the transmission is in even marginal condition the OD is worth a small fortune to the guy looking for one.

10. johnod

johnod

OOO that's good.

11. YaganaWcott

YaganaWcott
    from new york

I've got a post over on tellmehowtoparentmychild.com as well
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. XXL__

XXL__

4 wheel disc setup looks like a great swap. If the 318 dizzy is a direct swap, that looks like a great swap as well. My cursory research didn't leave me with the impression it was... but I'd be glad to give it a try. I'm going to scour the vehicle in the next couple of days... who knows? Maybe we'll be Stude owners soon.

13. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

Great truck to start with .

14. XXL__

XXL__

A few years ago when I joined the board (after lurking for a few years).

The OD. Truck runs and drives, but just the 3 speeds... no OD on top of that.

15. The guy joined over two years ago and has 208 posts. Find someone else to moderate over

16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You do realize that vehicle passed its best before date when Cher was a virgin?

17. hmm.. ok so Rimz? lol I don't know what exactly that rant was all about, but, entertained? why yes. but I am also entertained by tic-tac-toe so don't pat yourself on the back too hard lol

18. oh yeah, back to the point of the thread, x2 on keeping it manual, and 3 point belts...

19. saw this one as well on ebay....wouldn't be scared of it - but I run a stock V/8 overdrive Stude truck all over...for some 40yrs....

stick her in a Chevy and she can buy the parts at Wally Mart since that's the direction you want to go....

20. Did I miss something? Why won't you help him now?

21. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

It is usually the solenoid...
    Not that complicated of a fix...
    I just think that people should do a proper introduction on this forum, before trying to sell their stuff, or mining the knowledge that is so readily given here.

22. Oh, ok, I feel the same way actually. That being said, don't go looking for my intro because it disappeared during one of the last crashes. Maybe his did too? I dunno.

I was just being a busy body really. Carry on!

23. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

I am MORE than willing to help out anybody if I can.
    I'm a giver, and not a user.
    Just don't insult my integrity, I shut down at that point.

24. XXL__

XXL__

I'm a little confused. You offered some great tips previously in this thread, but you went back and deleted them. That's feeling a lot less like "a giver," and more like a "taker-away-er." Kind of sad, actually. Thanks for the posts while they were up.

25. Is it getting weird in here or is it me;)

Attached Files:

26. We may be used to driving old vehicles but most young girls are going to struggle steering an old truck. I'd upgrade to a newer power steering set-up. My guess would be Fatman probably has come up with one.

27. People of all shapes and sizes were driving these vehicles when they were new. I had two 2R Studes. They steer very nice and light if all the components are in good shape. All of the parts to rebuild the axle are readily available, if needed. I did put a Volare suspension under one of them but, in retrospect, a good disc brake setup would have been just as good. I'd just concentrate on making it safe, giving it the best brakes as possible, seat belts, etc. I taught both of my kids to drive a stick shift. It ended up paying dividends later on when my son worked at UPS. They needed additional drivers during Christmas and he got pulled off of the dock, even though he had less seniority, because he could drive a manual trans and the others couldn't

28. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Link to Pertronix to convert your stock distributor to Electronic Ign.

http://www.pertronix.com/

Pertronix Inc.
    440 East Arrow Highway
    San Dimas, CA 91773
    Phone: (909) 599-5955
    Technical Support: (909) 547-9058

29. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

I believe No Limit Engineering has a rack and pinon steering kit for the early '49-'54 Stude pickups.

No Limit Engineering
    455 South D Street, Unit 4
    San Bernardino, CA 92401

Tech Help Line: (909) 386-7637

http://www.nolimitparts.com/

30. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED