Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quick change noise...added PICS the 32 roadster!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowtech36rod, Mar 26, 2012.

1. lowtech36rod

lowtech36rod
    from Kentucky

****well i was going to buy it anyways but after all the positive responses about the quick change noise (see question below) I bought the Roadster today from a first class guy! couldn't be more happy. here are a couple pics

Hey guys. Looking at buying a car with a winters quick change (for which I really have no knowledge of) and while I was driving it, it has a loud whine noise. Sounds pretty wound up. Friend of mine that owns it says it's typical in these rear ends. The components are 40 axles and side bells that have all been "rebuilt". Gear ratio was 3.54 and that's about all I know.

Is a high pitch whine noise (best I can describe it) typical or is there a problem. Like I said I really don't know anything about them so I was hoping to get some advice. Thanks

Engine is a 59ab with an s10 5spd open drive shaft

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  2. sunbeam

sunbeam

They have spure gears there going to make noise.

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Welcome to the quick change world=noise.

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

the good news is if you don't like the noise, you can swap out the gears for quieter ones $$$

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I love the noise from my quicky. Mine is in my T modified but It probably does get loud in a closed car.

6. Master of None

Master of None

I wish I had a quick change so I could hear that whining noise..........

7. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

its the way the gears are cut, they will be noisey, ck with winters about diff. gears.

8. lowtech36rod

lowtech36rod
    from Kentucky

Ok thanks guys I really appreciate it. I just had no idea. I appreciate the advice.

9. AG F/C

AG F/C

I like the sound and the spiral cut quiet gears load the cover and are weaker due to end loads on the cover. Go straight cut and enjoy he whine.

10. Go to any local stock car track... they all sound that way with straight-cut gears, one of the things that makes them able to be changed in 5 minutes!

Bob

11. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Mine isn't that loud but on the interstate at just the right speed and load it sounds like a jet turbine.

12. Might drive ya' crazy on a cross-country trip, but for general local cruise-ins and around town use, that whine is "bad-ass". Just my 2 cents.

13. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

Thats funny the driver of my sprint car used to bitch about that all the time. so we asked quick chqnge guys and they said the spur gears are straight cut so they make a lot of noise. We removed spur gears then my driver bitched cause car wouldn't move. You just can't please some people!

14. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

...i LIKE THIS.....

15. AG F/C

AG F/C

I rather enjoy the whine coming from my QC. I would have it no other way. It's a hot rod, if it ain't making noise ain't running! :rolleyes:

16. :):):):cool:

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep those car go WEE WEE WEE all the way down the road. A lot of guys spend the money just go be able to hear that sound.

There is a bit of a cure for it though.

[​IMG]

At least for your passenger.

18. Forddraggin

Forddraggin

heard that!!!!

19. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

Nothing like a quickchange, rock crusher and a gear drive!......what noise?

20. TERPU

TERPU

Put a 6-71 up-front and the noise will go away. But seriously if you don't like it now don't buy it. I think it's beautiful, but yes they are noisy.

Tim

21. NSTLGA 33

NSTLGA 33
    from australia

Nothing like a quickchange, good thing is if your cruising aroung town a lot you can gear them low, and if your going across country somewhere, just simply take the back cover off and pull the spur gears out and put the bottom one on top and vise versa put the cover back on replace the oil which is only a cup full and your good for the highway.
    Mines only really noisy under load going up a hill, but there probably all like that.
    I've always made sure mines loaded up when I take off and periodicly take the back cover off and inspect the spur gears and it has done 60,000 miles with no problems.
    I,m not sure about the Winters but I do know with the Halibrand the newer gear sets are quieter than the old ones, the metalurgy is better and they are cut better so they mesh better still giving that neat whine but not as loud.

22. lowtech36rod

lowtech36rod
    from Kentucky

Added pics of the car. Thanks again for the advice

23. Kool pics. Looks like a fun ride. Enjoy the "noise".:)

24. Is yours a Champ or V8 Quickchange that you got the quieter straight cut Halibrand gears?

25. DOugG

DOugG
    from mich

I ran a quick change alone with a 6-71 and the quicky was surely louder. If you are running a 4:11 ring and pinion, you have a lot of gear choices. By choices I mean to pick a set of gears that have alot of teeth on them. By doing this it won't be as loud as one with fewer teeth per gear. I have a 4:56 ring and the road gear choices are not that great, and when I'd do a 16hr. trip with no insulation inside and the quickie under my ass and the 6-71 winning out front I was ready to get out for a bit.
    But I sure do miss it ,,surely need to get it back together.

26. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Mine really isn't loud at all, it doesnt change much with gear changes and its nowhere near as loud as the blower whine on my other car... not even close.

27. NSTLGA 33

NSTLGA 33
    from australia

Mines a Torrance assembled V8 quickchange.
    The original spur gears were fairly loud, found a chipped tooth on one of them so got a new set and the teeth have a softer edge on them making them quieter, at the same time that whine is still loud enough that you know you have a quickchange under you and Joe Public walking down the street still turns the head wondering what in the hell is that noise.:D

28. NSTLGA 33

NSTLGA 33
    from australia

Just for interest I,ve taken a couple of pics of an old spur gear and a newer one for comparison.
    The gear on the left is the old one and it might be hard to pick out but the teeth on the new one has a different cut.
    [​IMG]
    Here's another pic of the gears, looking at the old one on the left you'll notice the teeth are fatter than the newer gear, which is probably why the newer gears mesh better and are quieter.
    [​IMG]