Register now to get rid of these ads!

Modern but retro looking stereo?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shakey Jakey, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Shakey Jakey

Shakey Jakey

Seems like I've seen these somewhere, retro looking but modern car stereos. Links to websites would be great. Thanks

2. mojo66

mojo66

I think you are possibly looking for www.customautosound.com . I have a secret audio in my 66 Fairlane, which is nice because I can leave the stock dash alone and still get great tunes!! good luck, hope this helps!!

3. Shakey Jakey

Shakey Jakey

Perfect, Thanks[​IMG]

4. lownslow

lownslow

mojo ,
    how long have you had yours ?.... i had the secret audio in my car . the cd changer lasted 6 months .... then had it fixed ....after that another 6 months right before the warranty ended.it broke again.got it fixed..then the remote took a shit .THEN the cd changer broke a third time.... now the whole thing is junk ..... i do not recomend them at all .....

5. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

i saw a helluva cool way to hide a cd player at the car show here in town for the 4th... buddy of mine has a 63 fairlane, mounted a good CD player up in his dash behind the ash tray opening. has a spare ash tray, and cut it off 1" from the face plate of it, just enough to slide in and stay in the dash. the CD player has a remote with it, and the way his works, the crack between the dash and the ash tray face, like less than 1/8 of an inch, is big enough for the remote to operate the cd player with the ash tray closed... only would work with a wide ash tray, but nonetheless, i thunk it was purty cool.

6. mojo66

mojo66

I have had it abaut 4 years with no problems. Cd is mounted in the glove box.

7. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

I found an old Philco bakelite home radio that I am attaching under the dash that will house the stereo and speakers. i ripped the guts out of the old unit. the style looks great and was a easy fix to cutting the dash to bits!

8. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

we left the stock radio in (whick still lights up with the ignition on) but the real deck is in the glove box on a wireless remote. the subs and amp are completely hidden in a custom box behind the rear seat, and their is a panel in the trunk from one wheelwell to the other. No one knows the car has a stero unless we tell them.

9. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

I took an old 4/8 track player, under dash unit and gutted it then hinged the face, glued the knobs back on and bingo, new tune box hidden in old tune box, after all the best place to hide a tree is in the forrest. Von Doc

10. FONZI

FONZI

Same exact deal in my pals Galaxie. I am gonna hide my ipod in my center console and just run an amp. No head unit.

FONZI

11. Duck

Duck
    from Pasco, WA

There was a Custom Autosound in my '58 when I bought it and I took it out as soon as I could afford a CD player. Bad radio reception and the posts were all sloppy.

There is one in my Mom's '64 1/2 Mustang, and that one seems to have less problems.

-Duck

12. jimmyfromhell

jimmyfromhell

There are so many different options for applications of newer stereo equipment in older cars.The retro looking stuff is okay, but you may have to compromise quality of the components.Personally, I think that you are better off to go with a "stealth" install of new equipment.You can install audio equipment anywhere, with a little creativity.

13. I am in the process of sending a Custom Autosound tuner for a 62 Chevy back. It was in once while brand new for repairs and it still is giving us fits. For $200+ it is a piece of shit.

This is not the first one, we had a 55 Chevy unit that has never really lived up to the customers expectations as well.

I would buy real audio equiptment instead. With todays remote mounted tuners, all you have is a remote control like your TV or stereo at home.

14. mojo66

mojo66

I gotta admit that the reception wasn't that good, but I usually had the CD going. I did find that the remote was a little tricky.

15. jimmyfromhell

jimmyfromhell

I did an install about 8 years ago, on an old ford.I'm not sure what year it was, but the factory am radio was round( looked just like a gauge ).I mounted a new alpine cd/am/fm tuner in an under dash kit, up under the middle of the dash. I built and upholstered custom panels for 6" speakers up under the dash, and 6x9's in the rear, under the convertible top.I disassembled the factory radio, and flush mounted the remote in its place.I used vinyl and 1/8 inch panels trim out the remote, and i extended the ir at an angle pointed towards the head unit.The owner had already converted the car to 12 volts, and he ran the great american race series with it.It sounded great, and you couldn't see any of the components.

16. BigDdy31

BigDdy31

Hey dude, would you do a tech on this or if not, PM me some detail? I'd love to do something like this but I like my music fairly loud sometimes so I want to push some air too. Thanks.

17. Eryk

Eryk

I like that idea.

18. jimmyfromhell

jimmyfromhell

This is very easy to do, you just have to make sure that you get a decent match on the audio levels out of the ipod, as compared to the input levels of the amplifier.The ipod puts out more signal to drive the earphones, so you may just have to run the gains on the amp all the way down.This will help keep the amp from getting too hot.Also, ipods have a tendency to pick up horrible engine noise, when wiring power directly to the car.If you are using the internal batteries, you will be fine.

19. How 'bout an iPod Shuffle inside an old Muntz 4 track? As retro stereo as you can get.
    [​IMG]

20. Steve

Steve

a better option would be to pick up something like the nyko stereo link adapter
    [​IMG]

or the sendstation pocket dock
    [​IMG]

these utilize the line out from the dock connector which is the ideal audio feed when connecting to a stereo.

21. FONZI

FONZI

This is what i had planned on using. Just having a simple dock inside the console that is plugged into the amp, and charges the ipod.

FONZI

22. rookieoftheyear

rookieoftheyear
    from UK

Have you seen this its the panasonic B flat[​IMG]-

23. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Antique Automobile Radio in Florida.
    They'll concours restore your stock radio face, lense, knobs, buttons and case, then gut it and put in a state-of-the-art signal seeking AM/FM stereo.
    Turn the radio on, and it's FM. Turn it off then on again and it's AM.
    CD jacks in the bottom of the radio.

Excellent, excellent quality. Got one in my '54 Buick, and love it.
    And the owner of the company is in the office every day, and is a helluva nice guy. Not a huge company that's forgotten what customer service is about.

Lost the phone number, but do a websearch. He's also at the Turkey Run every year, and other big shows.
    -Brad

24. trey

trey

wow, thats really cool. expensive?

trey

25. nice if you're looking for a retro "CB" radio -- 10-4 Good Buddy!
    [​IMG]

26. rookieoftheyear

rookieoftheyear
    from UK

yeah its not so cheap at around $950 but its one of the best