Register now to get rid of these ads!

What would you do with this car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by manyolcars, Mar 28, 2012.

1. manyolcars

manyolcars

I hate ads that claim they will crush a car if it doesnt sell, but what else can I do? Its got to go! I have tried selling this car on ebay, craigslist and of course here on the HAMB. I have tried selling the parts off of it. No luck there either. I MUST get it off my property! What would you do?

no title, bad glass, floor rotted out, tailgate needs a skin, doors gone and of course no engine or transmission

Attached Files:

• 55.jpg
      55.jpg
      File size:
      5.3 KB
      Views:
  2. squirrel

squirrel

How much have you been asking for it?

3. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I had the same situation with a '55 first series truck, I finally found a guy who had a pretty rough, big old AMOCO sign. We both figured around $500 bucks plus some beers and made a trade. It took a while with some ads on CL but it was worth it!

4. can't tell is it 2 or 4dr? i could use some 2dr glass,wish you were closer!

5. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

Give it to someone who may need a few parts and while haul it off, if you don't need the $300 it will bring at the crusher

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well with no clue as to what state or locality you are in it's harder than hell for anyone on here to decide if it's worth going after even if it were free or a simple chickens for ducks trade.

If you have run adds on Ebay and Craigslist and haven't received an offer or any real interest you might examine the add from a buyers standpoint. I've read adds on both that were total turn offs and even got my sailboat dirt cheap because the seller wrote such a bad add and put really bad photos of it up on Ebay. I've seen a lot of adds on Craigslist that were such a turn off that I didn't bother to check them out. I've also seen rigs clearly overpriced with the "buy it before I crush it" claim.

Someone on here probably has a use for that wagon if it is close enough to them and the price is reasonable.

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

As much as I hate to see any old car get crushed, sometimes that is all that one is worth. From your decription,especially the no title part, it sounds pretty far gone, and not many parts on it.

Can't really tell from the small picture, but I fear that is what might happen to this one. Not all of them can be saved. :( If it were at least a good parts car that would be different. I have passed up cars in the past that were offered to me free, just because of being too far gone.

Don

8. Rogueman

Rogueman

Where is the car!

9. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I would post the ad as For Sale or Trade . I have gotten rid of many things that way since the times are so bad right now . many would love to have the wagon but can't afford to buy it due to low income or no job . Look at the area you are trying to sell it in . If the job market is very poor or jobs that don't pay well , you will probably not be able to sell it .
    I would also get some better pictures that the one you have now . Doesn't show the good , bad and ugly . Doesn't matter how well you describe it , pictures is what sell the best ! also if you have any big car shows with swap meets that would be the best place to sell or trade it at since many sales like yours is the spur of the moment sale .
    If not I would try to find a storage place to keep it at so china doesn't get it .
    If it's a 2 door then that would make a great nostalgia gasser wagon . The East coast would be a good place to make a post for that . You can always try the millions of Chev forums on the internet as well to get rid of it .
    Just a few thoughts ! Good Luck !

Retro Jim

10. 327Eric

327Eric

I was in the Same situation with a 51 Henry J,in the same condition, and ended up sawzalling it to get rid of it. Tried for 9 months to sell it. Hated to do it, but it ended up freeing up a bunch of parts to save other cars.

11. skull

skull

look for or search for a circle track around you. there are several tracks and racers who are doing nostalgia/vintage classes and may use it for there project.

there has been several people who are making NASCAR clones and that may be another area to look at.

l hate to see it crushed if some one can use it.

http://www.nvraracing.org/

heres a list of some organizations;

http://www.dirttrackfan.com/?section=race-organizations

if l was near you, that is what l would do with it.

Later :cool:

12. wvenfield

wvenfield

My question also. I searched the classifieds and couldn't find it.

13. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Many of his old posts mention stuff around Texas so thats my guess as to location.

14. Find a kid in your area with an intrest in old cars and sell him his first classic project and let him make payments.

15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Always wondered wher ... was.

16. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

See if there is an automotive trade school around... Don't crush

17. tjmercury

tjmercury

What he said!

18. well you can get new glass and IF its in /from texas unless its a shore side area it shouldnt be all that rusty compared to ohio rust the only real issue is the no title but it shoulod be usable for a drag car or something dont crush it

id like to have the grille /body trim for garage art

19. scotts52

scotts52

If it were close to me I'd give it a home. Saved alot that looked worse.

20. firingorder1

firingorder1

If you can't sell it why not just give it to someone who will do something with it? If it doesn't owe you any money give it away. Or is there something basically wrong with my type of thinking?

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Location is everything.

22. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

any more pics? where the hell is it ?how much you asking??????

23. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

24. manyolcars

manyolcars

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. It is located just off Interstate 20 near the Texas/Louisiana stateline.
    I guess Studebaker Eric has the best idea. I had asked $250 but TP points out that its worth more as scrap

25. klazurfer

klazurfer

Why not save those parts that`s Nice ? Pull everything that is in Nice, Or fair condition .. Then You let it go.. ( scrap ) :)

Klaz

26. farmboyhotrodder

farmboyhotrodder
    from PA

DO NOT CRUSH IT. That would not be a SMART thing to do.

27. 55chevr

55chevr

Cars are wrecking out at about $240 around here. That is with an engine and transmission and you bringing it to the shredder. Oh, yeah, forgot. You need ownership documents if you bring it.

28. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch
    from Easley SC

Use it to store firewood.

29. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

If you were closer I would take that in a heartbeat! I bet compared to Midwest cars its not that bad, and what's not worth fixing today may be worth gold someday. Look at the 32 fords we are building today,I bet 15 years ago nobody would have considered saving some of them.

30. squirrel

squirrel

Sounds like this is the issue...if you're trying to sell it for more than scrap value and it has no title so no one can scrap it, and it doesn't really have any useable parts, it won't sell.

If it were me I'd probably scrap parts of it.