Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. okeyracer

okeyracer
    from california

Pic is Bob Nicholson of wichita, Ks

2. JBell

JBell
    from California

Please tell us you'll be photo documenting the restoration. I've only ever seen the car in photos. The details always blew me away. Bothe the front engine and rear engined were bad to the bone. Looking forward to seeing it when it's completed.

JB

3. [​IMG]

Maybe some of you guys from Forth Worth recognize this. The article has features on Drags at Santa Ana, Los Angeles River, Fort Worth. Clubs mentioned in FTW are Barons, Road Lords, Gophers, Nobeletts and Dragons. Even has a full page picture of Norn Grabowsky of Sunland Ca. in his "Ford" that cost him $8,000 and five years to build. Most cars were reported to break 100 MPH with the record of 166.97. Several mentions of speed crazy, dare devil speed manics.

4. WCD

WCD

I saw the car win the innagural Supernationals in 1970 by beating Schultz and Glenn. Damn near won 71 Bakersfield but for a "fluke!" I think these photos were from 1971 as denoted by the chrome box air scoop that replaced the candied, pinstripped tear drop scoop from the year before. Perhaps the same motor that was installed in the Pinto flopper that followed.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  5. A third reason was to let the engine heat out from under the hood. At least that was the thinking for the reverse bubble on the Ford Thunderbolts.

6. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

that chopper was something that i just thought the old man was going to get me from the local lawn & garden dealer, i sat on that thing so many times at the dealer thinking i was going down pch with a pack of bikers ,instead he came home with a 65 honda dream ,that i took a hack saw to to make my own chopper " 5 th grade hoodlum " still cutting good stuff up !!

7. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

funny i remember building my models that way too,
    a certain black 57 chevy comes to mind,
    i cut part of the plastic tree and glued it where the hood springs would be,
    sorry i dont have that model anymore, wish i did
    won 2nd place @ a 7-11 model contest back in the 60's sometime:cool:

8. 69Chevelle454

69Chevelle454
    from Texas

Hey bud, I live on top of whats left of Green Valley Drag, if you could scan that magazine for me and send it to me Id appreciate it. Or if you want to sell it ;)

9. I can't sell it but I will see if I can get a good scan and post the article.

10. bentwings

bentwings

I ran my 57 Chev with hood raised in the back as well as with the 2 hood ornaments removed. There were weekly battles over this. I was forced to close off the ornament openings after setting the class record at the local track. Funny thing I lower the record the following week. haha so much for tricks.

When I ran the Rochester FI I left off the air cleaner and connected a piece of stove pipe to the left side fender opening which gave a cooler air supply to the motor from over the left headlight.. More controversy. After a number of the East coast guys did the same thing we were allowed to do this or run a gutted air cleaner. I had already gutted my air cleaner.....can you imagin what that air cleaner would be worth today????

Whether all this did any good is questionable. I never really gave it with and without test. Since we didn't have much in the line of tires back then it was hard to get back to back times that were very consistant. Speeds were usually pretty consistant so the hp was probably not changed much.

We all ran with the front ends way up so there must have been a lot of air going under the cars. The 4 link, ladder bars and cheater slicks had not been developed yet so traction was marginal with the high powered cars.

11. Motor_Psycho

Motor_Psycho

This is the best thing I've read all year :D

12. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

We ran with the hood pins extended out on our old Thunderbolt gasser, the hinges were removed. It had a beam front axle and a lot of air went under the front. At speed the hood would bounce around and raise up.

13. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I just learned that Grumpy Jenkins has passed on at 81. RIP Grump.

14. 69Chevelle454

69Chevelle454
    from Texas

Grumpy Jenkins joins his fellow competitors "Dandy" Dick Landy, Sox & Martin and many others.

15. biscaynes

biscaynes

16. Brash

Brash

Yes, just read that. Afraid I don't have any pictures of the Grump to add. RIP Grumpy, one of the last real legends of drag racing is gone.

17. BSL409

BSL409

18. BSL409

BSL409

William Tyler "Grumpy" Jenkins (1930-29 March 2012) was an engine builder and drag racer. Between 1965 and 1975 he won a total of thirteen NHRA drag races.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-mshofoa_0-0>[1]</SUP> Jenkins raced in the clutchless planetary gear transmission era. Most of these wins were won with a manually shifted four speed transmission. In 1972 he recorded 250 straight runs without missing a gear shift.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-mshofoa_0-1>[1]</SUP>
    He was formally trained as a mechanical engineer at Cornell University, and he used his training and skills to build engines.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-NHRATop50_1-0>[2]</SUP> He has been inducted in numerous motorsports halls of fame for his engine building skills in the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) Pro Stock division. His innovations include drag racing's first kickout oil pans, Pro Stock strut-style front suspension, and dry sump oiling system, and cool cans, electric water pump fan, gas port pistons, and slick-shift manual transmissions.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-NHRATop50_1-1>[2]</SUP> Considered the "Father of Pro Stock", Jenkins-built engines were used to win five NHRA Pro Stock championships and three American Hot Rod Association (AHRA) championships.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-speedtv_2-0>[3]</SUP>
    He was nicknamed "Grumpy" for having a no-nonsense attitude at races.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-mshofoa_0-2>[1]</SUP> The Motorsports Hall of Fame of America said: "his continual search for improved performance left little time for idle chatter with his racing colleagues."<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-mshofoa_0-3>[1]</SUP>

19. bigolds

bigolds

I had the good fortune to speak with him on several occasions ......this man will be sorely missed!!!!!

20. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Did not know he passed...thanks for the info. RIP

21. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

22. Still_Crazy

Still_Crazy
    from . .

23. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  24. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

My buddy made Grump laugh once, sounding like the swedish chef muppet. He laughed and threw the beer cap under our trailer.
    RIP

25. red fox

red fox
    from (OHIO)

RIP Grumpy.:( He was the best chevrolet drag racer back in the day.

26. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

How likely would it be today for an individual with a full professorship in engineering give up university tenure so they could go drag racing full time ?

27. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Got an e-mail today from Eileen Daniels, Bob's widow, and this is the best place I know of where she might get some help. Anyone who has an idea, pass it on to me at [email protected]. Thanks...

Mrs. Daniels wrote...

"Now put on your thinking cap back to 1960. Who do you think in Indianapolis as a photographer would have been at a press conference the Wednesday following the Detroit Nationals in the announcement of the move to IRP? Raymond Godman had his car there for the ribbon cutting ceremony and he has found the frame and is rebuilding the car. He is looking for a photo of that day if we can find one.

"The car was a 27 T Roadster with Milton Bowen Welding Company on the doors of the roadster.

"Any help or suggestions on who I should contact sure would be appreciated."

28. okeyracer

okeyracer
    from california

Actually this was 1967 gary in Terry Gall's Car

29. okeyracer

okeyracer
    from california

Was 1967 in Terry Gall's car

30. WCD

WCD

There were but So-Cal guys who donned plumes on their helmits; Gary and George-Stone Age Man- Hutchiseon.