Register now to get rid of these ads!

cherry smash 1962 corvette

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1929rats, May 4, 2007.

1. 1929rats

1929rats

Does anyone have any pictures they can share of the 1962 Corvette named "Cherry smash" built by Bob Raines? It was the 1976-1977 international championship car built and display on the "hot rod show world circut" . I am building a very close copy along the lines of that car. The only picture I have is of the one in the hot rod show world book as attached. Any further pics, personal, or direction to a magazine or what not would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much, Pete

Attached Files:

Deuces and BigO like this.
  2. sandimasguy

sandimasguy

that thing is cool

looks like the car from hot rod to hell

3. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Do you have the hot chick to go with it?

VANDENPLAS, Deuces and Bandit Billy like this.
  4. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Dammit!:D Quit posting cool pictures of vett gassers! You guys are gunna cost me alot of money. I so want to do that to mine.:confused:

Deuces likes this.

5. guiseart

guiseart

ooooooo - that looks evil (in a good way)

Deuces likes this.
  6. brandon

brandon

was that candy loving .....???? same picture i have of it.....though its been a while since i have that show book out...lol :D brandon

Deuces likes this.
  7. tdoty

tdoty

I think I used to have that same show book :D

Deuces likes this.
  8. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Candy Loving is way hot!

Deuces likes this.
  9. 1929rats

1929rats

I want to say it is Candy Loving. This is exactly how I want my project vette to turn out.....a cross between this car and John Mazmanians. Ive been in love with the "cherry smash" since Ive been a boy first getting the magazine......I ve also been in love with candy loving too since Ive been a boy, but, thats another story.....anyone have pics or websites thay are aware of with this car a different angles, specs, etc???? I know its a far shot, but it'd be awesome to have!

10. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Dig this. Dave has some more on his site. socalcarculture.[​IMG]

11. T-Roy

T-Roy

12. Bob Raines showed the cherry Smash and may still be in Silver Springs Maryland.
    Not sure if he is still alive.
    He built a high-zoot yellow 33-34 3 window to compete for the Riddler back in the 80's and screwed up and showed it at a local outdoor event before Detriot.
    I remember speaking with the new owner of the car 3-4 years ago and thought he told me Bob sold it due to health reasons.
    Bob used to make and sell lead weights used to balance wheels.
    Not sure what ever happened to the Cherry Smash.
    Contact someone at Promotions Inc. in Detriot and ask about him.

13. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I know I'm s'posed to be looking at the car, but that is an awesome set of legs! Geez!

Deuces likes this.
  14. jens gt

jens gt
    from ashburn va

I couldnt find other pictures of it on that site...is there another link to the gallery?

I can tell you that unfortunately Bob Raines passed away a couple years ago, from a heart attack. I recently found out that he was my biological father and was doing some research which is how I came upon this site. I have an actual picture of him in the 33 coupe in his driveway....but none of Cherry Smash or I would share. I am supposed to be meeting some cousins and maybe will get some more pictures. I wish I would have been able to meet him, as I am also a huge lover of cars and have owned 3 Mustangs myself.

Anyway, thought I would pass on that info...

-Jen

Deuces likes this.
  15. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Okay, is it just me, or is the HAMB like "6 degrees of Kevin Bacon"? No matter what someone posts, there's a direct, personal link somewhere here on the HAMB!
    -Brad

dan31 and tmwracing like this.
  16. LUCIFR

LUCIFR
    from Seattle

It just shows you the power of the internet!! google something these days and odds are it sucks you to the hamb..I love it because you never know what your gonna get in this forum or who you will end up talking to?? Its like one of those magic 8-balls...
    Am I going to see pics of Cherry Smash???
    (YOUR CHANCES ARE GOOD)

17. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

Pete
    It was featured in I believe Oct 1976 Popular Hotrodding and a featured in a special issue in Car Craft on Street Freaks in either 1975 or 1976. The car was purple(but no other changes) when it was in CC.

Give me a day or two and i will let you know the exact issues.
    A friend has reallu up close detail pics of the car when it was at the ISCA in Pittsburgh in '76 or '77. His wife just had a stroke & cancer and is going through major financial problems right now. Email me in 2-3 months and I will contact him

18. jens gt

jens gt
    from ashburn va

I have a picture of it when it was purple also...no scanner at home though. Wish I could find more pics online...

19. Call Mike Sheridan at Promotions, Inc in Detroit. (I think he still works for them). He used to be the point of contact/historian for the ISCA show programs and calendars and he was good friends with Bob Raines.

20. jens gt

jens gt
    from ashburn va

Thanks for the info....ill check and see if I can find and email address for him also.

21. 1929rats

1929rats

Well, I'm still in the process of finding these pics....I appreciate the leads.....I got some time as I plan on taking the body off the frame this winter and putting in the motor with tranny first, then brake lines, etc....suspension is done, and the motor is done (well...kinda....want to do a little something different and want some custom headers welded togther, but that'd have to be done after the front-end stance is established and the body is on the frame....my goal is to be driving this car by the time im 35 so....we'll see, but it isnt a race....im learning fast that fiberglass is a totally different animal than steel.

Thanks all....Pics or scans i want to see are the ass end, front end, cove detail, and interior.....I know Ive seen this car in print as a boy growing up other than hot rod show world, and Im working on it....

I cant wait till what I have in my mind is completed and is sitting in my garage!

Thanks again,
    Pete

22. This is an old thread I am dredging up but this old Vette really does it for me.

Anyone come up with detailed pictures?

1929rats, How is yours coming along?

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have the PHR and Car Craft articles, but I am heading out to dinner. I will dig them up and post them tommorrow. I have kind of a backlog of pics built up I should be posting anyway, right Gigantor?:eek:

24. slammed

slammed

[​IMG] Found this looking for more pix of the Corvette.

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Went looking for the Car Craft, couldn't find it. I know its there somewhere.

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Only took me two months, well, never claimed I was speedy quick. Car was actually in PHR twice, once when it was purple, again when it was red. Sorry about the quality, no scanner, so I am taking pics with my cheap digital camera.

Attached Files:

Deuces and BigO like this.
  27. 60 ford

60 ford

I remember seeing it in the late 70s or early 80s, really cool car.

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I remember seeing it and getting hypnotised by the color.

29. gonchpup

gonchpup
    from Annapolis

Just decided to google "Cherry Smash Corvette" to see if I could find some photos online for one of my students. I lived across the street from Bob Raines when I was in middle/high school and worked like a little lackey on that car. I went with Bob when he purchased it and it was an impressive street car already - physically what it was all along. He first showed it in Glenmont, Maryland at a Chrysler/Plymouth dealership. It was black lacquer with hand-painted blue flames. Black leather interior and gray trunk paint underneath. We drove it to the show. I think Bob was pretty much hooked on the attention it got from people and he made the decision to go nuts with it. With body off, we went to work. He had minor body work done on it, boxed the frame, and had the car repainted. I (his grunt) ground and polished the blower, manifold, trans, etc... and much custom work was done on new headers, etc... After it was assembled and taken to a few shows, he decided he wasn't happy with it. I can't remember the sequence of paint jobs, but before it was the final candy red, it was also an orange and gold combo and also the purple and black shown in the mag pictures. The photos were shot by Jeff Tinsley in Aspen Hill, Md. With Cherry Smash, Bob toured the ISCA circuit and ended up claiming the top prize nationwide. He ended up selling the 'vette and got into building drivable street rods. I mean, the 'vette was "drivable" but not in a practical way. He built two 33/34 street rods but by that time I was getting out of high school and more interested in my '70 GTO Ram Air IV. It was an awesome experience as a kid to be involved in the Cherry Smash project. I haven't been to an ISCA type show since so I have no idea what is expected of a top car now, but Bob stopped at nothing with his 'vette. One embarrassing part to this story is when they did the articles for Car Craft and Popular Hot Rodding, Bob told the writer that I did all the work on the blower, etc... and they wrote it up as though I built the thing. I was friggin 14 or so and they made it out as though I was a master engine builder. As for my '70 GTO, I sold it a couple years later for $1,200. It was all original but needed a re-build and I did not have the money or time for it, but had no idea what I actually had. Restored, I think it would bring big bucks now. Ram Air IV, automatic, power seats, windows, air, etc... kind of a luxury model of a bad-ass goat. I am still kicking myself for one of the biggest mistakes of my life. Anyone know what one might be worth now? Maybe I don't want to know...

vtx1800 likes this.
  30. Da Injun

Da Injun

I have always loved that car since looking at the Popular Hot Rodding Mags my Uncle always had lying around as a kid (I eventually got all of his old mags, plenty of titles...going back to the early 60's !!)......glad to hear a first hand account gonchpup.