Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Handicapped Hotrods Carshow

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratticis, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Ratticis

Ratticis

Back in 2007 I was running a towing company. This ment a lot a working any time, 24 hours a, day 7 days a week.One particular night in early August I got home at around 2 am. I decided to take a quick shower before going to bed. I slipped and fell, hitting both my head on the sink and my side on the side of the tub. About a week later I started feeling worse and worse, untill on August 7 when I woke up unable to move from the chest down. That's when I finally went into the hospital and after over a month of messing around (Royal Alex, 'nuff said) they finally figured out that when I fell I had ruptured my bowel and ended up with a football sized abcess around my spine. So 4 1/2 years and 17 surgeries later I'm a T4 complete parapalegic.

Anyway, more to the point, pretty much as soon as I was stable and came to the realization that this was most likely permanent, I started planning out how/what I was going to drive now. My truck is a '49 Ford F-47 (4 speed with the original flathead) that I built over the course of about 3 years, a little at a time with my dad. We're still planning on getting that so I can drive it again, but in the meantime we've got several other projects lined up. That being said, I started a group on facebook, and later a website, for people with an obsession for all things mechanical and some sort of physical dissability. Bassically, I just wanted to show that just because you've got an SCI doesn't mean that you can only drive a minivan. I've been thinking about it for a while, and would really like to organize a carshow for that purpose, only I'm not really sure where to start. I was thinking sometime in August and maybe in the parking lot of the Kingsway Mall (Edmonton, Alberta). I picked that place because it's so close to the Glenrose Rehab Hospital, and would give newly injured people the chance to get out and see the possibilities.

But like I said, I'm not really sure where to begin, so If anyone can offer some advice or wishes to help with this, please send me a message.

Thanks,
    Chris Repp

Website; http://handicappedhotrods.webs.com/

Facebook Group; http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/groups/77478695239/

2. Johnunit

Johnunit
    from Toronto

I don't think I can personally be of any help, but it's a good cause so here's a bump.

There's a very cool hand-control 51 chevy panel van with a 350 around here. I always find the different solutions used for different vehicles and disabilities interesting.

3. Master of None

Master of None

Hit up Kripfink. He's the fellow with the bad ass flaked panel truck. I'm sure he'd be happy to help, and answer any questions.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

there are threads here talking about a "first time" Car Show. Getting local car clubs involved would be a big plus. they likely have put on shows and know what must be done and have contacts within the Government, potential sponsors, etc. once the ball starts rolling on this it should be a great show.