Register now to get rid of these ads!

FIRE !! it can happen to anyone. It happened to me !!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Roadster, Mar 27, 2012.

1. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Thanks for the heads-up and glad nobody got hurt.

2. Roadsir

Roadsir

I wonder if the root cause of some fires is fuel quality related??, and possibly getting some degredation or varnish build up during storage?

I just fired up my Roadster two weekends ago, and got some fresh fuel in it...and I need to get a few fire extinguishers

3. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

saw this on the way home tonight....glad your ok, hope this guy was as well....I was on I64 by Levenwoth, Indiana

[​IMG]

4. Scott

Scott

Keep us posted on your progress Randy. Glad no one was hurt. I will have an extinguisher in the cab!

5. Randy....I know nothing can make such a bad day better,but It could have turned out MUCH WORSE! Thank your lucky stars you walked away. Me and another guy pulled this guy out of his burning work-truck one morning. It literally MELTED! A couple minutes later and he would have been bacon. When I was a VW guy,we would get at least one a week that had caught fire.

6. shoebox50

shoebox50

Sorry to hear glad your okay!

7. cheveey57

cheveey57

If the fire was out why did you let the " fire ninjas " touch it? I wouldn't have let them near it. Glad you are ok though.

8. tjm73

tjm73

You mean the liquid dynamite we pour in the tank by the gallon? I highly doubt the gas is any more or less flammable. Or had anything to do with it other than burning.

Glad you are ok and the car can be saved.

P.S. God bless the fireman, but the "nozzle nuts".... we can do without.

9. Bummer! I've had it happen too. Always good to carry an extinguisher.

10. sawzall

sawzall

Glad your ok randy, fire scares the hell outta me

11. 46mercury

46mercury
    from livonia MI

:D only we make sure we have 200 gpm or more water ready to hit it!!!

12. 343WINDOW

343WINDOW

After looking at those pic's it makes you wonder about fiberglass cars...I doubt there would be much left!

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I was thinking the alcohol eating rubber components in the fuel system.

14. tjm73

tjm73

Not sure about the fuel in his area, but 10 or even 15% shouldn't attack the seals and if the carb was recent it should have materials that are up to handling 10-15% fuel.

15. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

i recall when i was on the volunteer department,we ran a pumper up at the river,the test came out to be 750 gallons/minute.
    thats 2 minutes with what was on the truck.

sorry to hear about the fire,glad nobody was hurt.

ethanol fuel evaporates the alcohol,and then leaves the gummy residue behind,no to mention damaging rubber components.
    it wreaks havoc on small engines,premium gas and sea foam go a long way.

16. retiredblue

retiredblue
    from california

just a note- and I am sure that other folks have mentioned it- when ever I am driving my car around I am sure that the hood chain is UNCHAINED- taht is to say that I am able to open the hood without fooling with any locking device- when it is parked ok- just a thought

17. Ramjetus51

Ramjetus51

Damn Randy sorry to see this.......I can not agree that just because you have good insurance that eases all the pain, guy must have never had an attachment.........Well, good things will come out of this, you probably are already planning to make it even better this time..........

18. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

WOW!!! Just saw this Randy and can't believe the run of unfortunate issues you have had lately. I'm remembering the rearend collision you had with the '40 a few years back and how that one came back to fight another day. I'm confident this one will do the same, just an un-needed detour. Glad to hear you weren't injured or burned (burns can be worse than cuts and broken bones, ask me how I know:(). I'll submit this one to the same resolution we discussed the other night thru PMs.

Frank

19. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

Sorry to hear about this...........but glad that you are ok !! Dale

20. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

Sorry that happened to your roadster.

My 69 Ford Econoline suffered an electrical fire. The fire was under the dash and it caught the gauge cluster on fire because I couldn't get it out, the CHP put it out with his extinguisher. Then the Fire dept came and they used an infrared camera and poured bottled water on it. The fire extinguisher made a huge mess but it put ouyt the fire. My extinguisher was out of charge, so check your extinguishers if you have one in your car!!!!!

Here it is after the fire

[​IMG]

21. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That suck Randy!!! Glad you are OK...It could have been a LOT worse....

22. It just makes me sick to view those pictures! :(

Good thing your roadster is "real steel" from Henry rather than fiberglass, probably would have been a "total" in that case.

I know you probably have driven that beautiful roadster 40 or 50 thousand miles before this happened!

Do you think that the ethanol in our gasoline today might have deteriorated a float, o-ring or gasket?

Thank goodness you weren't out on the interstate highway or in the middle of nowhere when it happened!

At least you have the 3-window to drive until the roadster is "back in service".

Let us know how Grundy treats you.

Looks like you're going to be "off to see the wizard" soon!

And MOST of all, thank God that you weren't seriously injured!!!

23. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Glad your alright. The roadster will buff out.

The ethanol in our gas nowdays is terrible on the rubber gaskets, o-rings and fuel lines. Started up my 60 Falcon gasser recently and saw smoke coming off my fenderwell headers. Opened the hood saw fuel spraying down the engine from a cracked rubber fuel line. I got lucky and got the car shutoff before anything happened. I just replaced the fuel lines, they were less than a year old the ethanol had deteriorated the lines from the inside out. I replaced with the new rubber fuel line made specifically to hold up to ethanol. Most parts stores carry it.
    Definitely carry a full fire extinguisher. I have Grundy myself heard good things about them, will be watching to see how they take care of you.

24. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

Really bad news, but I am glad to hear that you are OK. Keep us posted about grundy. I have them also. A friend of mine has his 48 truck burn to the ground and they paid off in full with no problems at all.

25. Sorry to see that. I had a 54 Chevy truck try to burn on me when I was a teenager....all due to my poor wiring job.

You've reminded me to get a new and large extinguisher for my nearly-done 54.

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1 To that both ways.

At least it doesn't look that bad beyond the obvious damage we can see and the fact that the engine will have to come down after they soaked it.

I'm another one who got spooked when I saw the header on the thread as I thought it was going to be about the garage going down with the cars in it.

27. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

WOW, sorry to hear the news. Those photos are heartbreaking.:(

28. That's for sure, but maybe some cookies would help the hurt. :)

29. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

AAAGH! Fuck man, I'm sorry that happened to you!!
    Shit.

I keep an extinguisher in my cars, after putting some guy's freshly restored (and I mean FRESHLY, as in "Maiden Voyage") Buick Skylark Convertible out at the ice cream store when I was 17.

It's amazing how much damage just a short burn will do.

I'm glad there doesn't look to be any metal warped... It won't buff out, but it's damn sure better than it could have been.

-Brad