Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrome Ford Spindles chrome on bushings

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by op4wd1, Mar 28, 2012.

1. op4wd1

op4wd1
    from IN

I just got a set of Chrome 37-48 Ford round back spindles. The king pin bushings looks like they were install before the spindles were chromed.
    It looks as there is chrome on the bushings, king pins fit snug right now but will slide all the way in the spindle. I fear the chrome on the bushings could case gnawing on the king pins.
    My question is would it be OK to leave the chrome on the bushings or not.
    There was an extra set of bushings in the kit that I could replace them with if necessary.

Thanks
    joe

2. squirrel

squirrel

I would replace them, and of course get the new ones honed to fit the king pins

3. I agree with Squirrel again. The Chrome won't last and sooner than you want you'll be doing it anyway. Also your right, the king pins will be damaged if you run them as is. Do it now while it's apart.
    The Wizzard

4. moonman29

moonman29

Replace them, chrome coating is brittle and with fall off really quick and most likely it will damage the king pins. Chrome is not meant to be used as bushing material.

5. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

I would say they are junk since the bushings are chromed. Send them to me and Ill send you back a stock set.

Rob

6. Sweats

Sweats

It would stand to reason that the spindles were chromed with the bushings in place as to ease in clean up. A lot easier to just knock out the old bushings and put the new ones in.

7. op4wd1

op4wd1
    from IN

Guys, Thanks for your replies. After looking at both spindles, the lower bushing on one spindle you could throw a cat through. So I will be changing the bushings out.

8. I didn't do it , but if I was going to have my spindles chromed, I would send them with the old bushing still installed. The bore would remain the same ID & ready for new bushing.
    Send them empty and you'll be reaming the spindle to get the bushing in.
    Send them with new bushings youll be reaming thru the Chrome trying to get where you need.
    Probably why you have a replacement set of bushings.

9. Old Guy

Old Guy

The only problem I see with removing the bushings after they are chromed is that when you push them out it is going to peel the chrome off the top of the spindles. Might get away with grinding a bevel out to the edge of the bushing.
    I haven't had anything chromed in a long time,but they used to have a coating the could apply where you didn't want chrome.