Register now to get rid of these ads!

Floating Hubcaps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kage, Feb 7, 2012.

1. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

..........and sad.

2. in 69 dodge also had these made up for the superbee they are much rarer then the roadrunners awhile back somebody was making reporductions of them

ive seen them in person , mopar didnt drill and tap the spindels they had a specail grease cap that held the cap while the rim turned if you used a short enough valve stem you wouldnt have to worry about it like the chrome ones for mag wheels , but you have to take the hubcap off anytime you wanted to check air pressure

3. FatDaddy53

FatDaddy53

floaters are bad ass man!!!!

4. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Sorry for the delay on the videos but here they are.

http://youtu.be/pxpa7gYctCA
    http://youtu.be/mMOnycFunfU

and here is the how to tech all broken down into steps.

Its a simple process to do.

1. drill and tap your spindle...approximately 1/4" below the carter-pin hole
    2. thread in your all thread and cross drill it thru the carter-pin hole.
    3. install your castle nut and carter-pin.
    4. drill a hole thru your dust cap.
    5. run a nut and lock washer down your all-thread until it bottoms out against the spindle..snug it up.
    6. install your dust cap. make sure the hole is big enough to clear the nut and spins freely around the nut. The nut should stick out a little past the dust cap (this is very important. if the nut is below the cap then the spinning dust cap will unscrew your hubcaps)
    7. You will need to make a larger round washer the size of the center hole on your hubcap.
    8. drill a hole in the middle. once you have the whole in the middle take a piece of all-thread. run a nut down it about 1/21" place the washer you just made on top of the nut and then run another nut down on top of the washer to hold it flat and snug.
    9. weld the top nut on to the washer. the unscrew it from the all-thread.
    10. remove the mounting ring from the back of the hubcap.
    11. center the washer in the back of your hub cap and weld it in place.
    12. at this point you should be ready to screw your hubcap onto the all-thread.

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

Don't forget to put your valve stem on the inside of the wheel..... :D

6. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I didnt have to. my caps clear the valve stem.

7. atomickustom

atomickustom

Yeah, baby! There was an old guy around Joplin when I first moved here in 1996 with a '49-52 Pontiac coupe mild custom and he had his front wheel covers floating so the Indian head always pointed forward. Totally cool.

8. atomickustom

atomickustom

How do you lock down the cap to keep it from rotating and coming loose from the all thread? Weight at the bottom of the cap? Tighten the f%@$ out of it? Check it obsessively every time you drive your car? (These are legit questions, not sarcasm: I am now considering this for the front of my car.)

9. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I am using a lock washer between the stopping nut and the back of the hubcap. snugged down real good and then just check it when ever you make stops.

10. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

I don't know if I would run them all the time, especially on a long road trip.
    Maybe install them once you get close to your destination. Then take em' back off for the long trip home. The effect can really only be appreciated at slow cruising speeds anyways.

11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Oh believe me when I saw those floaters on a Houston cab it was NOT at cruising speed unless you consider cruising speed 70MPH. They can be very surprising at highway speeds too!

12. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Thanks for the videos!

13. Don't you mean, "DUMBASS"!

14. Sounds to me like Bob's heading out to the shop to make a pair of floating caps..............:D

15. You can weld up the front hole and redrill the back. Rims are steel and steel can be welded. Its simple.

16. amphicar

amphicar
    BANNED

I think I misunderstood what ya meant when you said floating hubcaps... here's mine. What so hard about that?

Attached Files:

17. Now that right there is funny.

18. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

hell yeah! Looks good!!!