Register now to get rid of these ads!

30 inch glass packs not loud enough

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by christines49ford, Mar 6, 2012.

1. That's what I'm saying. Why are you using mufflers at all? Is it a legal/inspection thing your trying to curtail? Just run straight pipes. As for the "rap" (we've always called it "thrap") smash your tail pipe ends shut a little.

2. daddio211

daddio211

Your mufflers won't be affected by water like steel packs or glass packs are. There's nothing inside yours to be burned out so you're wasting time, water and risking burning yourself.

There are additional things to consider here. We all understand the potential effects of cold water on hot, thin steel, right? I know its "traditional", but what if you get too much water up the pipe and it flows into your cylinders? I've heard many stories from my dad about cracked blocks and heads, split pipes (mentioned earlier in this thread), etc. But yes, that's how he blew out his glass packs too.

3. Heo2

Heo2

Use a god grease to lube
    the muffler bearing.......
    chheezzzz

4. It depends what you want.
    I have two 22" Smithys mounted midway back. They are still not loud at all, they have a nice mellow rumble. They could do with being slightly louder so I may mount them further back when I get the inclination. The best part is they dont rap (I dislike rap) and they dont drone on a trip (that gets old real quick).

5. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

You won't burn out glasspacks in a month if you mount them reverse flow, what an idiot. I ran a set behind a sbc for 100k miles and had no problems.

6. codeblu

codeblu

A buddy of mine with a Chevy six in his 51 AD truck runs a spilit manifold, dual pipes and two different length glasspacks....gives it a very distictive sound.

7. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Cherry bombs (aka ticket magnets) on my 2 1/2" system, shorty tailpipes out the side,.....Punch throttle, hold ears......Rap like crazy after about 3,000 rpm !

4TTRUK

8. 35 Dodge Hot Rod

35 Dodge Hot Rod
    from Mecca

Just do what all the high school aged rednecks do with their lifted Chevy trucks, don't put a muffler on.

9. man, everytime I read an exhaust thread all I can say to myself is there sure have to be some crappy sounding cars out there with all the "Suggestions" and "remedy's" :eek:

10. slim53

slim53

Agreed. If you want a louder and better sound, check out some of Porters. Their shorty mufflers are only 14".

Slim

11. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

I put 24" Cherry Bombs on my 32. Before I installed them, i looked inside and saw that the louvers are punched so that the direction of the exhaust flow goes thru those louvers. I installed them the other way. They are loud. I love them, and I don't have tail pipes yet.

12. krackerdave

krackerdave
    from mt vernon

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. docmike

docmike

My Mom's neighbor, who still owns the '66 Chevelle SS 396 that he bought new, once told me that the way he used to "prep" his glasspacks was to take the brand new glasspack out into the back yard and shove one end into the ground. He would then fill the muffler with gasoline and light it on fire. He said it would take quite a while for it to burn out but, when it finally cooled there would be no fiberglass left in the muffler.
    I've never actually seen it done but, I always thought it sounded like it should work.

Doc

15. afaulk

afaulk

Now that right there is funny Beaner! A new career? I spewed beer all over my keyboard.

16. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

Dual 30' glass packs? Thats alot of mufflers to tone down a V8. I think those 30' glass packs are for running just one muffler like for a Suburban or larger truck with single exhuast. I had one on my Tahoe and it sounded just right.

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

check muffler shops, etc for old removed glass packs - had a set on a '54 Chevy that I called La Bomba because it was so loud but, fun

18. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

If you want it louder, run the exhaust inside the car and you'll be able to hear it better.:rolleyes:

19. Chester

Chester
    from At work

I had a single 30 inch on my 50, it had a polite rumble...not loud at all.
    It was located just in front of the rear axle.

My understanding of mufflers is that the loudness is affected by how close or far the muffler is from the exhaust manifold.

My Mustang has 2 12 inchers in front of the axle and they aren't the loudest either in that location, but are louder than the 30 inch.

20. metalshapes

metalshapes

How much gas does a 30" glasspack hold?

About a gallon?

From what I've heard, that equals to about two sticks of dynamite...

Sounds like another very bad idea to me.

21. sololobo

sololobo

Now your talking, buy two flowmasters fill them with gas and burn them to the ground. Then go get a set of Porters, Smithy's, Brockman's, or any other real hot rod mufflers, put that set on and drive and enjoy! ~sololobo~

22. A Boner

A Boner

Why don't you just buy some 29" glass packs?

23. docmike

docmike

Like I said, I've never actually seen it done but, in theory, as long as you don't plug both ends you won't have a pressurized vessel so you shouldn't have an explosion.....then again it might blow up like a pipe bomb turning any living tissue within 50 feet into hamburger. I never said it was a GOOD idea. ;)

Doc

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Or just get the real thing to begin with and save all the BS for somone else.

Let them blow themselves up or fry all their skin off :eek:

25. I put 30" Smitthys on mine, behind a 383 big block. MUCH quieter than I anticipated, but sounds great.

26. I replaced the 30's with 12's. Much better;)

27. GREASER815

GREASER815

Just don't use mufflers

28. I would just run straight pipes. Much better.

29. 1971

from canada

I had dual exhaust on a'71 superbee back in early '80's. I just saw a vintage ad for Thrush mufflers from a 1979 Car Craft mag. In the ad it says there is no fibreglass in them. All I remember is that when you held them up you could see straight through them. I had the shop at the time cut my pipes and install the mufflers just before the rear axle. Was not that bad when just cruising, but was insane loud when you punched it. The muffler they show in the ad looks exactly like the ones I had and appears to be the ones you were talking about.

30. woodypecker

woodypecker

The older I get the shorter my mufflers get. Also need more TV volume.