Register now to get rid of these ads!

40-41 willys truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty part, Jan 15, 2012.

1. rusty part

rusty part
    from wisconsin

I have a friend that wants to make a willys gasser truck clone. He's cheap and was wondering if there is another kind of truck cab that's close. If so what year and brand? He plans on running a fiberglass frontend.
    Thanks

2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Willy's are very pretty distinct. By the time he made it look like a willy's to anyone that knew what one is, he could have just built a real one.

3. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

Rusty best thing to do Is put the money up and buy one like mine.which Is ready for engine,wiring and wheels.

4. abone1930

abone1930

They aint growing on trees for sure. I think the backs and the roofs on 39 international are close. I have everything but the cab top and back section. The doors and cowl have to be Willys though.

5. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Kinda off topic, but a guy on another website I frequent is building this using a Dodge cab.

[​IMG]

As you can see it's going to differ from a Willys significantly in the hood, cowl and door area.

6. abone1930

abone1930

You got a link, and do they show any picks of the back?

7. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

8. Weasel

Weasel

Ain't nothing like the real thing baby....

hotrodtodd1960 likes this.
  9. abone1930

abone1930

He needs to change the back body line for sure . Thanks for the link. I know where a 40 all orignal pickup is , all disassembled , the front clip has been in a loft for 15yrs, for 15yrs the dude still want sell. Until he does, and if I can afford it(lol) will work with what I have :)

10. moparron426

moparron426

yeah if only real ones were a little bit affordable, I would have one...
    I started with a $200.00 cab and a $700.00 glass nose to do the one I am doing. I think its coming out just fine.
    is it a real willys, no. does it still look like a dodge, no.
    that's why it will be called "Identity Crisis"

a cab with room inside and the looks of a willys, I like it. Ron...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  11. abone1930

abone1930

What year model dodge cab did you use? I would have one too if I can find one that I could afford. Truck is looking good. Name is awesome for the truck too.

12. moparron426

moparron426

39-47 dodge cabs are all pretty much the same, just some small differences

mine is a 46 I believe.
    the biggest issue is the body line on a willys curves in and the dodge curves out so I had to modify the body line on the glass hood to make it work,
    i also had to cut the hood down the middle and widen it at the cowl area about 2". you can see that work in the pictures in the link below.

I like the name too, i thought about "half breed" also but I will be running it at the Barona indian reservation track and thought that name was not very PC. Ron...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013