Register now to get rid of these ads!

Recommended Caster Angle on IFS?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tlmartin84, Mar 28, 2012.

1. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

I am about to set the front clip under my rails, what is a good caster angle for street use on an IFS?

I am assuming a 2" rake on the frame, the front clip is about 1' wide where it contacts the frame. With the rake I would have to shim the back of the clip down .21" to hold a 1 degree caster. There is some caster adustment in the lower control arms....I'm just not sure how much.

Should I aim for more than 1 degree???

2. depends on what suspension you are using! and power or manual steering

3. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Its a 03' CV clip, power steering rack....

4. Sorry - but what the hell is a CV? lost me there

5. bolt_boy_49

bolt_boy_49
    from USA

I think its a Crown Victoria if so I think you will need 5.25 degrees caster. I would look for alignment specs for a 03 Crown Victoria. How much will your rod weigh? Using the crown vic specs will only be helpful if your weight and wheelbase are close.

I googled my way to this.

http://i39.tinypic.com/29eof1s.jpg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  6. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

how are you measuring the caster?????

7. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

yeah crown vic.

Position the control arms so that an imaginary line through the upper and lower ball joints is 90/perpinicular to the ground. Then rotate the upper balljoint counterclockwise(positive) or clockwise(negative) to the specified angle........

This is something a lot of people overlook when grafting in clips from other vehicles, no thought givin to it whatsoever.

8. Yep - 5.25° to 6.75° is what's called for. I think if you really go a 1°, she's going to wander all over the road.

9. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Yeah I'll pu mor in it, I could't find any specs. Everything I found give the tolerance not the angle. Thanks guys!