Register now to get rid of these ads!

FIRE !! it can happen to anyone. It happened to me !!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Roadster, Mar 27, 2012.

1. outlaw256

outlaw256

damn, man i hate that it has happened again.2nd time this week. now im getting scared to even start some of mine. ive got carb issues on 2 of them. glad your ok and the ride wasnt hurt no more than it was. thou it dont look healthy right now im sure you can take care of that.around here we have a volunteer fire department composed of a few old guys and a few teens. kinda reminds me of the keystone cops.i really dont want them helping unless i REALLY have to!! i have had a electric fire on a 55 i use to have.back in the late 80s. my fault, im the one who wired it. didnt burn anything but wire and my hands cause i reached under the dash and just started grabing wires and rippingf them out. saved my car but burnt my hands all to hell.

2. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Sorry to hear about the fire. Glad you are okay.

3. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I saw your post over on Deuces Limited, Damn that sucks! Glad your ok Randy.

4. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Sorry to see the damage on one of my all-time favorite roadsters but I'm glad you saved it. Keep us updated on repairs.

5. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very sorry to hear about your damage and the experience with the fire department.

Had a fire in my older ('72) truck, caused by an electrical short under the dash, and the fire department was fairly careful about where they sprayed. They were asking about tearing apart the dash and when I asked them not to (because I was confident the fire was out) they honored my wishes.

6. monc440

monc440

That sucks but glad your OK. Be thankfull you don't have glass body car the pics would have been alot worse.

I worked in the RV industry for a bit and due to the poor engineering of the Norcold and Demetic refrigerators we used to recommend these halon auto depoly fire extinguishers in RV's mounted behind the frig anout 6 inches from the frig boiler. If I was building a closed hood car mine would have one. Check out the link.

http://www.rvcoolingunit.net/servlet/the-Halon-Fire-Fight1-Extinguishers*****/Categories

7. That sucks! I had a buddy that has an off topic 70 AMX that did the same thing, when he pulled off the highway he opened the hood and saw the fire, could not do anything as he didnt have an extinguisher:mad:....so he closed the hood. Those cars had hood insulation that was designed to fall on the fire to try to put the fire out. It slowed it down until the fire dept. showed up. They made him move away from the vehicle...then couldn't figure out how to open the hood, so they drove a pry bar through the very rare plastic front grill and pried up the ram air hood! I guess a fire man's main goal is to put the fire out at all cost....your safety as well as the publics is what they are trained to focus on. Glad you are ok, let us know how Grundy takes care of this.....

8. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

Wow! Sorry about your sweet lil roadster. Glad you made it out ok.
    This is really weird, 2 hamb cars burning, one 50's car burning yesterday just north of me and I just saw a 64-66 chevy truck burning when I made a biscuit run for the wife and I about 2 hours ago.

Fellas, GO GET NEW FIRE EXTINGUISHERS NOW!! Hell, buy two!

Again, glad you are ok and your deuce can be rebuilt.

9. Oldsmobucket

Oldsmobucket

That really sucks. Glad to hear you are ok.

10. harley rider

harley rider

That really sucks Randy .Glad your ok.that was a great lookin engine.

11. As much as I love your roadster I care more about you,,God knows you have had ENOUGH problems over the past 10 years you deserve a break!

I tried to call but got your voice mail.

I realize the roadster can be fixed,,try to stay positive,,If I can do anything to help let me know. Danny

12. putz

putz
    from wisc.

i had the same thing happen on sunday to my 35 pontiac with tri-power ,should have fire drills for hot rodders , first panic , second ...dummy... get the fire ext. but all and all wouldn,t give hobby....... good luck feel for you .

ps. heard of a guy having a halo ext. under the hood.

13. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

wow....that sucks. I can't remember, did it have a mechanical or electric fuel pump?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. I'v been through two house fires personally, a relatives fire and a work fire. So I'm super paranoid about vehicle fires. I have a kill switch close by and have a shut off valve to the gas tank, although I'd like to have that in the cab. Plus my extinguisher is on my seat. Glad your ok, and what don't kill you only makes you stronger.

15. jb39chev

jb39chev
    from Conroe,TX.

Had the same thing happen on 3/18/12, I guess I will now find out how good Hagerty Ins. is.

16. Would an air cleaner have prevented this fire? Or was there one in place?

It is fortunate that you were able to extinguish the fire!

17. Good news, bad news.

Glad you were not injured (except for your pride).

Maybe you can use Danny's (Brenda's) wagon until your roadster is back in shape. They aren't using it! :p:eek::cool:

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Damn!!! That blows!!!! Glad you're alright and in good spirits though.

19. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Glad no one was hurt and super glad the car is obviously repairable. Sorry for the damage.

Note to self: Maybe a second extinguisher in trunk is a good idea!

20. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

It had a air cleaner :)
    It is burnt and I removed it trying to put out the fire.

[​IMG]

:D

21. Randy,

I hate to see this.

Your attitude is great though. The important part is that you were enjoying a great day and lived to enjoy more. I have NO DOUBT that it will be repaired beautifully and in a very timely manner.

Glad you got out OK.

Jim

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  22. DeVille Gal

DeVille Gal

So sorry to hear about your fire Randy but, I am with everyone, glad that you are OK.

23. 'Saw this over on the Deuces board; really glad that it wasn't worse, as it so easily could have been.

Look at the bright side, you have a nice three window to fall back on and the roadster will be better than new for next years (2013) Deuce Run.

-Tom

24. 46mercury

46mercury
    from livonia MI

Our main goal is to keep people from being burned trying to save their vehicle and its contents. As tempting as it is to try to open the hood, the secondary latch will be too hot to handle, even with firefighter's gloves. And yes, even when the fire is out the vehicle must be cooled with plenty of water to prevent a rekindle.

I've had stuck floats twice but no fire. I've added extra fuel filters and I carry a very large extinguisher.

25. oneqwkfbody

oneqwkfbody

At least you can save the car. My 53 didn't fair so well! But I feel
    For ya. Glad you are ok and not hurt. Ride on brother....

26. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I learned long ago, NEVER OPEN THE HOOD ON A FIRE. The hood holds the smoke in and smothers the fire. As soon as you open the hood you allow airflow so the fire can really get going. Saw a man get severely burned doing that. It was almost an explosion as he started to lift the hood and the fire shot toward him.

Shoot the fire extinguisher in the grill or wheel wells to cut off air supply. I was surprised at the way firemen fight fires. They break windows and cut holes to vent the fire which is like opening the draft and damper on a fireplace.

27. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think its time to go buy extinguishers for all of my vehicles now,with all the fires I am hearing about with older vehicles I am wondering if the gas we have could be a cause.

28. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

29. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn, Randy. You can't catch a break here lately. Hope that you and your buds can get it repaired and running soon.
    Rock

30. Shaner's74

Shaner's74

Nothing makes me more PO'D than when the fire dept cuts the battery cables. I have worked for insurance companies and body shops and that is the worse. The other problem is when the FD gets jumpy to use the cutting tools. One fire dept totalled a car because they cut the roof off to get a guy out of the driver's seat in a very minor accident. The car needed a fender, bumper,headlamp and some repair on the door. Less than $2500 damage.