Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is it just me or does this slip yoke look weak?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beef Stew, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Bought this from Denny's for $35 (regular $60). Here's the pic from their site:

[​IMG]

But this is what it looks like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the less than great pics but it was dark in the garage. Notice how much material was machined off from behind where the u-joint goes. It really doesn't feel like a very beefy piece. Has anyone used one of these? Am I being overly concerned here? Seems like this is a pretty critical component in the driveline. Definitely not the same yoke as in their pic.

If it matters, the car is a '29 Model A Tudor Sedan on a '32 frame. Power/torque should be around 400/400.

Am I good to go or should I think about using something else? Thanks guys!

2. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

At first I thought it was an extended seal. If the yoke is cut down like it appears, it seems dangerous. You don't want a drive shaft coming apart at the front.

3. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

The shaft as well as the coupler is weakened signifigantly. Find a replacement instaed of asking for trouble using that part. Gotta wonder wtf someone was (not)thinking removing that material?

Send that back to dennys,its not the same and has been modified.

4. F&J

F&J

I'd bet you can't break it, "if" it is forged. I say "if" because you can't trust any repro part these days. that's why I don't buy anyhing new unless there is no other source.

Back to that yoke, break it, I want to see it;). The cross would snap first IMO

5. Well when you think the price is to good to be true.......it sometimes is.

Funny thing is, that Denny's is in my backyard but I bought my stuff from Inland Empire in Ca., you are doing the same only opposite .

6. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Yeah, maybe I'll give them a call. Was hoping that someone might have some first hand experience with one of these pieces.

7. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Pretty sure it's not forged. Doesn't say that it is on their site so I can only assume it's cast.

I just read on their site that they give their customers 5 whole fucking days to call in and request an RMA. 5 DAYS?? WTF?!? That's horrible. This'll make a nice paper weight. Or maybe whenever I come to visit Buffalo I'll chuck it through their front window. :rolleyes:

8. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

What is the application? What is the U-Joint size? I'll get you a picture of a genuine Spicer part.Maybe give me the part number.

bob

9. river1

river1

reminded me of this classic ad

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3QjTIm-vSKg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hope that works

if it doesn't go here http://www.youtube.com/embed/3QjTIm-vSKg

later jim

10. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Hi Bob. Like I posted before, this is going in my Model A Tudor Sedan. It's fenderless and on a '32 frame. Engine is a turbocharged late model 4 banger. Should make around 400hp. Car should weight what, 2500lbs (it's currently still being built)? Not going drag racing or doing clutch drops. Just looking for a decent slip yoke that'll put up with some occasional hot rod abuse.

U-joint is a 1310. Denny's PN 2055898. TIA!

11. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

It'll probably hold up. If they won't return it, use it during the build and break-in driving period.

12. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Why is it rusted?

It looks like someone cut it down into the casting marks, which tells me that it is not factory spec (what factory would put a casting number in a place destined to be removed?).

I wouldn't be happy with it.

13. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

It's a little rusted because I've had it for several months and I've touched it with my bare hand a number of times. Plus I'm about two miles from the Pacific Ocean.

I'm just now getting around to getting a driveshaft ordered but I needed the slip yoke to figure out where the front u-joint was going to be while I was laying out my rear suspension.

14. 56Firedome

56Firedome

It would probably be fine, but why have that little bit of doubt in the back of your mind?

15. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Here is another variable...what transmission are you using?

16. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly! That doubt is always going to be there, and keep you from really putting your foot into it for fear of it failing. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of building a hot rod if you can't slam the pedal to the floorboard.

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

The piece you have does not look like the typical finish machined surface, more like a first rough cut. Just the stress risers alone would make me not want to use it. This looks like it should have been rejected at inspection and put back in the remelt pot.

Frank

18. squirrel

squirrel

Now you know why they knocked half the price off it

I've never bought a new yoke for my stuff, I always seem to be able to find a good used OEM yoke laying around. The more I see things like this, the more I like to save old parts.

19. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Trans is an Aisin AR5. It's basically the newer, later model equivalent to the old BW T5. It comes in the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon pick ups. It's also in the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky. Just your typical 5 speed manual transmission.

20. squirrel

squirrel

You'll break the trans before the yoke, but the yoke is still flaky

21. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Called Denny's and they said they wanted to take a look at it so I'm emailing them some pics. Super nice folks to deal with over the phone.

22. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Denny's emailed back and said this is how the yoke is supposed to me. Hmmm. Guess I'll take a $35 bath on this one because I don't trust this yoke.

23. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

They are full of it! Post the contact info so we can email them.

24. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

With a taper like that it looks to be the weak link in the chain. As the yoke slides into the rear of the extension housing, how does the soil seal work where it steps down.:confused:

25. Funny how yours looks nothing like their picture. Half off the price and yoke, awesome!!!

26. HamD

HamD

The has the "uncircumcised" output seal which has the double-layer seal (all seals have this,) plus a third dust boot seal. Look closer at which part is metal and which is rubber foreskin.

27. chopo

chopo

the seal does fit the shaft nicely

28. I take it the yoke is pushed in as far as it will go in your photo then?

29. deuce295

deuce295

If you have ever seen or experienced a driveshaft coming apart at the front it makes one heck of a mess. For that amount of money I would use it for a paper weight. It may or may not break but it sure is poorly made.

30. How did I know that was coming, he's a first class arrogant ass hole and I sure told him that to his face before. I went there to ask him about a bolt in yoke replacement for a cube van th400. This yoke is shorter than a standard yoke and I ask how it was just as strong if you have less splined yoke on the shaft.
    His reply was that I must be from Fleetpride (competitor) because only they ask such stupid questions. I said no for real, if the shaft is shorter that means it has less contact area. He repeated his original answer, at that point I wanted to stick my fist into his smart ass mouth. I'll never deal with that pompous ass EVER !