Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why is cruising dead???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zombie 51, Jan 24, 2011.

1. nexxussian

nexxussian

Waiting till the driveway thaws out enough so the car doesn't high center getting in and out.

2. Muttley

Muttley

It quickly becomes lame if you are the only guy out there driving around in circles.

3. Because Mr. Charlie says we can't cruise the local spot anymore. I don't get how cruising the streets my tax dollars pay to maintain, patrolled by the police my tax dollars pay to put there, fueled by the gasoline I paid the same amount for as everyone else is illegal, but sure enough, just pass the same place 3 times and you get a ticket. But damned if there aren't drunk college kids staggering up and down the sidewalks, fighting, sexually-assaulting, causing a bunch of ruckus 9 months of the year. Probably because mommy and daddy pump all their tuition money into the local economy, and the cruisers are mostly working guys without a bunch of expendable income. At least the drunk college girls will show you their tits. This is how shit woulda been had the Nazis won the war.
    Alright, maybe not, but it sucks.

We do have a local event that for one Saturday night a year, cruising is back and in full effect. It's called the "Cruising is not a Crime" cruise. :D
    It's supposedly unofficial and the local merchants make more on that night than any other night of the year. There's way too many cars for the law to ticket everyone. They actually have been really cool about it, and unless you're really asking for it, they leave you be.
    Other than that, I take a lap Friday nights when it's warm, maybe hit the Sonic Drive-In, and go home to drink beer in my garage.

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Like a lot of things...... all it takes is one yahoo to screw it up for everyone else.

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

It's like Foxworthy said I got in trouble for taking a frog to school you couldn't take a frog to school today somebody would shoot it.

6. bluthndr

bluthndr

I am 36 now, and have a 14, 12, 4, and 1 year old. It seems all anyone at my house is ever doing when I walk in is watching Netflix or playing on their damn ipads. The 12 year old (girl) does do some artwork from time to time, but there is far too little "doing", "going", or "building" by most of the younger crowd. I could go on about closed local auto shop programs, shuttered race tracks, and the like, but we've been down that road on here. Cars just don't seem to be where it's at for many people anymore. Sad, and I don't understand it, but what do you do?

7. Cruisin around here has died.. or if you dare cruise the strip, you are guaranteed to get pulled over and ticketed for anything (low washer fluid will do). Even if you cruise, there is nothing to see. it's all teenage kids in their borrowed mom's minivan driving stupid and blasting their radio. The police pull over anything that looks old/ special interest and put you in an inspection line up for 3 hours (there goes the night), while the inprudent teenagers driving way to fast just drive by.. wtf?? .
    Even a mom and pop out for a cruise and ice cream in a stock, restored 1955 Chevy gets grilled too.
    When approching the authorities, you mostly get no response, but one officer commented that the attraction of all the spectators/ conjested traffic (a sunday night can be busier than rush hour) is the older cars. He best explained that it is similar to a riot... the cruisers may not have started it , but we are there and in riot standards, you are in trouble if you are there.
    I disagree, in that even without the older cars there, the streets will always be full of irresponsible kids.

Is it true that there were curfews back in the day to curb cruising in some regions?

Daily driving my car is very satisfying, but the idea that there will be a day where the street is full of early cars cruising is just a dream.
    Keeping cruising, building cars and any interest in old cars for the future generations is the responsibility of everyone today. We all got influenced somehow when we were younger and likely had someone to look up to, guide us to who/where we are today. (that's another thread.)
    Static shows are ok, but driving your car is what it's all about. The closest to cruising these days is getting hold of as many individuals to go for a drive with, whether its club members or calling up those lone wolves or invite the kid down the street that admires your car to come along. Next thing ya know the kid will have an old ride on their parent's driveway. Keep the racing and challenges on the drag strip, and put endless miles on those cars.

8. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

We have about 5 Cruise In's a month here in Mobile, Al....and surrounding 50 miles.....If you want to Cruise your Hearts out, come to Cruising the Coast on the Mississippi Coast this Oct. 7-14, 2012......it's the coolest show of the year....sure some have learned how to make money off it but for $75.00 you get a week of Cruising, Great Music, Shows, Cruise In's, and Beautiful Cruise sites........I'm almost 60....remember the days of cruising back in the late 60's when it would take 3 or 4 trips through most of the 6 or 8 hangout hamburger places and bowling alleys to find a parking spot.........I think our generation has just gotten older and it's not as much a priority as it used to be...we have the girl now, have the car or cars, but we'd rather sit and watch Abby on NCIS than get in our car and cruise around........Dad Gum, I'm getting bored just talking about it........I need to get in my car and get a life...........a Cruising Life I mean................

9. Harry o

Harry o
    from Georgia

Look up ... old rides.com ... All you guys should check this one out ... Every cruse night in every state in the USA ...

10. There's plenty of local "sits" around the area, but only the one real cruise.

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

and that's wrong... why?:D

Attached Files:

• abby.jpg
      abby.jpg
      File size:
      17.3 KB
      Views:
  12. Blown Monte

Blown Monte
    from Delaware

13. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Luuuv abby................

14. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Who owns the streets? Who pays to upkeep the streets? Who pays for the police salaries to maintain safety? Who is paying gas taxes that support Gov.?
    Cruise your streets people. It's your's to use, and enjoy.

15. exshelby

exshelby

Cruising or cruise nights? Cruise NIGHTS killed cruising..Hanging around in parking lots showing off you wax job became cooler than cruising on the streets , stop light to stop light..one race at a time...

I remember my first 'Cruise' night..it was at a hot dog place in Waterbury,maybe 1984...nearly a two hour drive for me...cars came and went....now they just come..and PARK.

I remember the Berlin turnpike in Ct. and the NEBA Nationals on Central ave in the Albany area...It's just not the same and hasn't been for a loooooong time.

16. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Cruising is a happening thing. What is now known as a "car gathering" is mostly a non-happening thing. Its people sitting in lawn chairs looking at their rear bumper, and chasing away kids from touching their cars. I can only take small amounts of these gatherings, before I get the itch to cruise. I've had people ask me "Why you leaving? The trophies haven't even been awarded". Yeah, right....

17. Is this the date for 2012? I want to make sure I take off from work for it this year.

18. 73super

73super

There's definitely more "gang related" activity now... drive by's, etc. Things we never had to deal with when we were cruising. Worst thing that happened would be a fist fight.. now they'll "cap your ass".. over the smallest stuff....whatever. It's a different time now.. I can totally understand why there is less cruising now.. Plus.. and I'm just talking as a father of a 17 year old.. there's the texting, video.. heck.. they don't even want to leave they're rooms anymore... lol... esshhhh.

19. Yep, say what you will, but the kids are a lot dumber these days. We did some stupid stuff, but never going out of our way just to hurt people. Tough times bring out the scum of the Earth, and times are getting pretty tough for a lot of people it would seem.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  20. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

It's more live now then ever here in Miami,but not the same as it was when I did it in the late 50's to 65' ,it's just in a def style then back when there were lots of car hop eating places and ya could stay with your rod or right near it,so now we have outdoor shows on weekends,but no carhops(darn I liked the carhops too)

21. dB Zac

dB Zac

In California cruising died because the "kids" that made up most of the cruisers couldn't vote, there for didn't have advocates in office

22. bsteele331

bsteele331
    from California

In reading through most of the replies it is obvious that it died for many reasons and for different reasons in different areas. I lived it and atleast in my area there were always a small minority of losers that caused trouble. The losers did have somehting to do with cruisings death. Are kids worse today? Maybe but i think there are just more people so the total number of losers is higher. Other reasons are, atleast in Southern California, too many people, and with that most all problems are magnified. For the people too young to have been there, it was an awful lot of fun and I am glad I grew up at that time....BUT...it was never as great as the old timers stories or how it was glamorized in American Graffiti for example. All those things might happen over the course of years but not in one exciting night. I remember struggling to pay for gas then too, let alone the price of your car and modifications. Times change. You can't go back and sadly it never will be like that again. I do miss it though. You can however still have a great time in your cars in many different ways.

23. 117harv

117harv

MTV...video killed the radio star...and cruising:(

24. Its a live and well in ColoRODo!! From Golden to Longmonte to Colorado Spings and Pebelo.

25. agreed times 100. every one at my school turns their nose up at my 63. even some of the guys ask me why i want to drive "that old rusted P.O.S." i always tell them "its a work in progress", which it is. i wish i coulda been born 50-60 years earlier. when everyone cruised instead of play friggin video games and do drugs and all that other stuff. :(

26. Model T1

Model T1

Cruisin in central Illinois where we came from and here in NW Florida is still alive and well. Clubs gather and cruise to cruise nites in other towns.
    Back where we came from it was watched by cops more than now. If you cruised thru the A & W Rootbeer stand or Steak-N-Shake too many times ya got a ticket. If ya burned rubber or got caught drag racing, ya got a ticket. Stupid kids just like today brought cruising to a halt for many years.
    But it's come back even stronger with many places having DJ's and discounts on food. It's true, now we hang around for hours making it a mini car show where back in the 50's we got a tray full of food, stared at a few cars, and girls, then went to the next drive-inn.

Keep in mind old people retire to Florida and bring old cars and old memories.

27. HllywdWolf

HllywdWolf

I cruise Hollywood Blvd when i have gas money to blow. the only rides i see are new on 20+ rims with loud sound systems. you ocassionally see 60's era muscle, lowriders, choppers with sound systems and rice burners. you rarely see pre'65 Kustoms or Rods. the cops don't really mess with you if your not doing stupid stuff, they usually look out for dui's and fights. it gets dead after a couple hours cause most people go to the nightclubs. the only thing that bothers me is that theres a Mel's on Hollywood & Highland but you have to pay for parking.

28. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

Cruising is cool. I just believe that the kids now days have not done it, and don't know how much fun it is. I live in Phoenix and they ( Cops ) and the city put up no cruising signs, They say if you pass by this spot twice within 30 min you are in violation. A bunch of us guys have started it up again, we pay taxes and should be able to go up and down any street in the city. We meet at McDonalds and have a burger and drink so we are (customers), we talk cars and take a cruise. We pull back in and an hour later do it again. It has been so much fun doing this again, and talking cars and good 60s music. you should try to get guys together and get it going again.

29. Fenders

Fenders

Get a few friends to pass by that often in their 2000's Hondas, Nissans, etc. and I'll bet they wont get ticketed, much less noticed. Document that, so you can claim profiling of customs and hot rods if you do get ticketed.

30. NoBackPressure

NoBackPressure

Back in the day, we used to cruise from one local corner to a deserted back road or other "known" spots and just get together to drink beer and listen to loud music. The cops didnt mess with us much cause we didn't stay in one spot too long. Even if they did, they just told us to break it up and go home. But as far as cruising dead? Naw, We just do it in a different way, on our Harleys either bar hopping or long country cruises. At least thats how it has evolved among my friends.