Register now to get rid of these ads!

California's printing black plates again? Really?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SamIyam, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The State knows when theres money to be made. There goes the resto guy's. Ok, rant over. That would be great :).

2. Fenders

Fenders

WYF 187 ..... maybe I'd like WTF 350 !!

3. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Let's hope it doesn't go through. It will only generate more money for the state, the greedy DMV and it will decrease the value of the plates that people have now that are real. It won't look right, you will be issued a 7 digit number and everyone will know it's a newer issued plate.

4. KK Hickey Designs

KK Hickey Designs

You can order 6 number plates as custom plates. I did it when they made me turn in my black plate (Because I only had one...Bastards.) for my Mustang. I got the numbers from the original plate on my new white plates, so I don't see why they wouldn't let you do it to these too. Besides, the original plates will still be worth more. I mean which would you rather have original or new?

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I hope they go through with it. It's one of the best ideas those Cali Politicians in a long long long time.

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Very true, and I read the other comments as well. Here's my thought on this. How many topic friendly cars are out there with white plates. Is there enough old plates out there to cover the demand. Maybe this is where my thinking is best. I hate seeing older cars with white plates. So I welcome it. Differant strokes for differant folks is what I'm trying to say.

7. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

They will probably be an improvement over the white ones, but since they most likely will be flat plastic and reflective, they won't be as cool as the real ones.

8. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

They will also be reflective and the state name just painted, not stamped. I doubt they will fool anyone with some knowledge. I'd rather have the state generate funds, this way, instead of raising ticket fines:)

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

If that's the case then, I would reject the whole idea.

Yep, just went back and found this. Here's a copy and paste.

That means the finishes will mostly likely be reflective, which was not a feature of the California plates until the mid-1980s. Ideally, the plates will also have the retro block-letters spelling out California, though they will likely be printed only – not stamped.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I recently sold my original black plate Lark overseas. The car is still here waiting for the exporters truck. I feel kind of bad seeing these cherry plates leaving, but I don't know what I could do besides refuse to sell it. And I really wanted to sell it. Also my blue plate vega is leaving at the same time.

11. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

According to the Hemmings blog, they're only going back as far as the 1956 plates--meaning that everything earlier should still fall under the Year of Manufacturing law.

This would seem to mean that the Year of Manufacturing law would be revised, although I have no idea how this would play out.

Also unclear is whether the "repro" plates will TOTALLY REPLACE the originals--or if you somehow will be able to run either on cars made from 1956 on.

To folks who are pointing out that the paint and the number of digits will be modern--I'm sure you're right. Something will be off to all of us, and I'm sure they won't look old.

Last--while part of me hates this law and hopes it won't pass because I love OLD things, not new things made to look old (like the PT Cruiser), I do think our state could use the money, and so for this reason, passing it would be a great thing.

California is broke!

12. Cabover

Cabover

Black plate question...
    I bought my 64 Galaxie wagon from CA. and it has black plates. They don't seem to mean alot here in Michigan, is there a market for them? Can guys in CA. register them and put them on their car, or do they have to stay with the original car?
    Thanks,
    Dan

13. When I see stuff like this... I always think about the universal truth that hot rodding is about individualism.

These plates, even in a 2012 Camaro... are cooler than a white plate.

Also, they are not going to recind the law about letting us keep our black and yellow 1963 plates.

The thing I do not like about them... is the fact that the "California" will be painted on and not embossed.

That's easy to fix...

Sam

14. firingorder1

firingorder1

Coming soon. "For sale. Genuine black plate car"

15. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

ill keep my YOM plates thank you

16. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

If ya have to get new plates, itll be better than the white ones. I got a white embosed one that im sure could be painted to match the new ones after i order the duplicate number in the black or yellow.

17. There is definitely a market for them and they dont need to stay with the original car.

Wait umm nevermind- they are worthless.....but I will give $20 for them if you like :D

18. I am 99% there is a form you can fill out to keep the plates- kind of like when someone sells a car with personalized plates they want to keep for their next car....

I would get over to AAA stat and check it out before its gone!

19. derbydad276

derbydad276

whats the big deal the state gets money without raising taxes .....and hot rodders can get what looks like a black plate fot their car

20. Weasel

Weasel

Yep, gotta get me a pair of them genuwine fake black plates....

21. Muttley

Muttley

Yep.

22. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

What a bunch of horse crap! The state is going broke and they submit this kind of crap.

Daily rant over.........

23. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

"Only 6 digits" ? Mine are 7 digit, issued 5 years ago, and still current. Double check this,..or call a different DMV office.

4TTRUK

24. Fenders

Fenders

Sucks they took your plate.
    Massachusetts is usually not easy to work with but in this case they will approve a single YOM plate even if two were originally issued, see 2(v)

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/forms/20132.pdf

25. deto

deto

I bet is has something to do with why licenseplates.tv doesn't sell CA plates any more. They're gonna corner the market. I would buy these if they go through with it.

26. I just logged on to their site... damn, it sucks...

Sam

27. Hyfire

Hyfire

This is a great idea. It will only make us guys value the old original raised letter plates more.

I hate the state's politicians, but the YOM program has been great... and is executed pretty well. I hope they do more of this stuff.

Better making money off this instead of going after our money through regulations...

Josh

28. KATFISH

KATFISH

Let me restore your original California plates. There musr be lot's of people running them,
    (the black 63's) ,because we've done a lot of them.

29. When I got my 53 Ford with black plates it made me feel like I had found a great treasure that not everyone could get. Sounds hokey but I felt special to get them. Making reproductions won't take that away from me cuz I'm sure the "new old plates" are going to look blatantly new and cheesy as hell.