Register now to get rid of these ads!

odd request???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Dan

Dan

Have some students competing in a VICA contest where they torture test an engine with no oil or coolant and see how long it will run until it seizes...
    they plan on using a sbc...
    what tips or tricks do you guys know that help this engine last longest?? thanks-

2. fbama73

fbama73

Use an engine that is pretty worn out already.

3. Dan

Dan

thats one of the ideas I had, figured one that is already pretty loose might survive alittle longer??

4. MERC 55

MERC 55

Run some Lucas through it before you drop the oil. At least a quart.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Slick 50 ftw!

( just kidding)

6. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Hide the ignition key

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

What was that stuff they were hocking on those TV ads...........Prolong ? They drained all the oil after adding some of this stuff and drove a couple hundred miles with no oil in the crankcase. I notice they aren't running those ads any more. :rolleyes:

They did a motor meltdown at BP a few years ago and parts of the engine started to glow before it finally seized up and blew. Fun to watch.

Don

8. chaddilac

chaddilac

Leave the oil in it....

9. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Plate the engine with molybdenum

10. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Ever notice they would usually be a slant 6? Those engines would run that way anyway..like the AK47 of engines

11. badshifter

badshifter

What are the rules? Gotta know what can/can't be done first.

12. slowmotion

slowmotion

Pull 4 of the rods/pistons, less reciprocating mass...:D

13. I agree, I run that stuff and it stays SLICK and still clings after thousands of miles.

14. My Dad always used to watch those ads for the super-fabulous motor oils on TV where they drained the oil out and the engine ran for hours and hours on a test stand with zero oil, and his opinion was that since the engine didn't have any real load on it that it likely WOULD last a long time. I'm guessing that he's right (but am not going to test his theory on any of MY engines!).

15. I watched them try and blow up a Japanese motorcycle.
    No oil and WFO - took a long, long time. Got tired of listening to it.

Neighbors kid ran his dodge neon back and forth to work for 4 days without a lower radiator hose. Still running good.

16. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Wynn's Friction Proofing did that as proof of how good the product was back in the late 60's.I used that stuff for years and still would if it was available,you could even put some on a thread tap and almost eliminate any drag that's how good it was.

17. raidmagic

raidmagic

Put it in the Chevette I drove in high school. That thing leaked so much oil it was run dry all the time and ran like a champ :D

18. beyondhelp

beyondhelp

What's the point of the contest? Just destroy some engines?

Try Zmax. Sposed to be all space age and stuff. Magically "soaks into" the metal.

Pull as many rings as you can that will still let it run? Could you remove a bearing or two and let things float a bit? If it's not going to be under load anyway. Run the valves a bit loose so if some stick it doesnt bend anything and bind? Never tried to destroy an engine before so I'm just guessing.

19. If Carroll Shelby put his name on it, it must be good!! :p

20. Dan

Dan

Not 100% sure what the point is, its for a VICA competition that some of my students are in as part of another class, I am not involved in VICA so can't say for sure what the rules or the point of destroying an engine is, personally I don't like wrecking prefectly usable stuff but they see jazzed on it so just trying to get some ideas to help them out cause they asked...
    I am thinking they could remove the oil control rings? retard the timing alittle, run it rich??

21. Find a low compression smogger-era engine, you can't kill those hateful slugs.

22. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

what about covering the bottom of the intake in grease so it heats up and drips down.

23. beyondhelp

beyondhelp

I know a jeep 4.0 won't die. Had one that would still run on 5 cylinders, no oil and several windows through the block and oil pan. Strong enough to drive around the yard and on and off the trailer. Sounded awful but the damage was already done.

I wonder what would happen if you ran 2 radiators and cooled the heck out of it. Might keep things stable for longer.

24. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

We used to coat all moving engine parts at assembly with Vortex pre-lube for SCCA racing. A couple of instances were documented where oil pans got debris holes and the engines survived without damage until they got shut off. Don't know if its still available.

25. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

use an air cooled engine. if you want to get real fancy build a split crank with sealed roller bearings similar to a two stroke. roller everything. coat the pistons and heads.

does it have to be an auto engine?? build a single cylinder so you lower your failure points.

add oil to the gas, run it rich with very loose rings :D

26. Substitute a Honda engine for SBC
    .... teach the children welhp