Register now to get rid of these ads!

Good News & Good News

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 87Heaven, Mar 26, 2012.

1. 87Heaven

87Heaven

Well the first good news is that this Friday is my last day at work. I officially retire as of the 30th.
    The second good news is for a going away present (retirement is how they put it) they gave me a Thermal Dynamics Plasma system. A Cutmaster 52 to be exact.
    I am in the prosses of building a new shop so as for now I have no power or air to even try it out!
    By the end of April that should all change. I have been a nervous wreck after deciding to pull the plug, 50 years of going to work every day and now not is going to take some getting used too.
    So I thought I would share my good fortune will all of you.
    Thanks for listening

2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Congratulations ,Im 43 and losing faith working for idiots,for about 6 months ............How did you do it......50 years

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You'll get used to driving around and seeing everyone in a hurry to be somewhere. Day time TV sucks. Most of your friends will be at work. Those are the things my dad hated.

But he loved being able to do whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted. It all works out.

Congrats!

4. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Everyone I know that is retired has a job.....My grandfather put in 35 years as a union bus driver, and now delivers paint 3 days a week, that whole sitting on your ass and doing whever you want is not all it is cracked up to be.....

5. F&J

F&J

F--- work.

Sorry for the language, but... When you may end up on a deathbed and still be capable of thinking..., will you be thinking that you should have gone for 51 years?

go play with the plasma and new shop.

6. 1967gtafb

1967gtafb

God Bless Patience is Virtue Congrats Dont stop keep going PM me if you are stuck I will help

7. knotttty

knotttty

congrats to you 87heaven... enjoy your retirement... it sounds like your well on your way already.... good on ya.. I have 97 weeks to go...lol.....

Roy

8. paintcan54

paintcan54

Retired 3 years ago, my wife said your "retirement will not keep you a week," the way you spend money, you'll need to find yourself a job!!! Three years later and still looking.

9. KIRK

KIRK

You will enjoy retirement. Soon you will wonder how you ever had time to work. Have fun.

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Retirement and a new shop...perfect. All the best to you.

11. SoCal Merc

SoCal Merc
    from SoCal

Congrats. Enjoy your free time!

12. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Been retired for almost two years....don't know how I ever had time to work (40 years)....absolutely love it!.....hope you do also....all the best!

13. flathead okie

flathead okie

Great.............I can't wait for my turn
    Have fun with your new life

14. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

I retired after 37 years with the same company......12 years ago next month, I have not missed work at all. I spend every day in my shop working on my hotrods. You will have a new shop soon, you should not have any problems adapting! Congrats to you !
    Dale

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Enjoy, it looks like with the new shop going up you should be able to stay busy and away from the day time tv.

I watched my dad retire at 62 with big plans and then sit on his butt and fuss about what he couldn't do because he hadn't planned for retirement. I hope to retire a year from now and may have to take a part time job to get some rest from all the things I have planned.

16. welcome to the club, every day is Saturday from here on out. Stay busy.

17. Master of None

Master of None

Congrats! And the cutmaster 52 is a great unit. I have one, you'll wonder what you've been doing all this time with out it.

18. 87Heaven

87Heaven

Thanks for all the good wishes guys.

I dont think I will be watching to much TV (dont watch much now) I have a 40 ford to finish a T-Bucket to Finish and the list goes on.

I do have offers to work a couple days a week or so later on in the year.
    I think I would look forward to maybe some part time work, hot rod parts being what they are and all :):):)$$$

19. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

When I worked at Beaudry RV in Tucson here, I met quite a few folks who bought the motorhome of their dreams together, and then became widowed shortly after.

I'm just saying that sudden downshift in your life isn't always healthy. Stay busy if you can, make a commitment to something whether it be paid or volunteering. Having a place to be is a good thing.

20. Good health is the key. If you have that the rest will work itself out. I'm disabled, got a project car to play with but don't have the health to work on it and don't have the funds to pay somebody else to work on it so my big enjoyment seems to be watching it rot away in the driveway. If you have the health go play and have fun while you can. I wish you nothing but the best my friend.

21. k9racer

k9racer

Been retired going on 16 years.. Its six Saturdays and then Sunday. I don't see how I got any thing done while I had a job..

22. Lucky bastard!..................good for you.

23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Good for you. I'll raise a toast to you Friday as I chug one down on my Birthday. To bad I won't be old enough to retire though. With the current retirement plan that it's in place I have 17 more years to go. But I know when I get there, they'll tell me to work 10 more years ;).

24. Congrats my man. That work thing is way over-rated.:D

25. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Enjoy your retirement. The time will come when you will wonder when you had time to go to work!! Fifty years with the same company is a rarity these days, sounds like they appreciated your contribution.

Good luck and and have fun.

26. midnight auto parts

midnight auto parts
    from tn

enjoy the retirement, it will last about a week and then you will be busier than ever when the word gets out. i have been retired 9 years come may 1 and love it. between your shop and friends-family you are going to have a blast.

27. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I rest on Sundays tho

28. E HANSEN13

E HANSEN13

Well congrats and enjoy your retirement...
    PONYBOY

29. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations and prepare to enjoy the next phase of your life.

I retired at 55, 10 years ago, and was told I wouldn't get used to "doing nothing" for a year or more. Well, I was used to retirement before I even cleared the parking lot on the last day and never looked back. I'm much busier now than I've ever been, wrenching away almost every day.

30. 73super

73super

I never get those who go back to work because they have nothing else to do and get bored... man, I've got 3-5 years left and after that I can't wait until I have the time to spend in my shop really cranking out the projects.. HEAVEN! Congrats to you.. enjoy yourself! That's so awesome. If feel bad for the younger guys that are looking at 20 - 30 years.. Retirement with a pension is going to be a thing of the past.

Enjoy that cutter and the new shop.. wow.. what a way to start out your retirement!