Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stuff you're better off paying for...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BlackLion, Mar 26, 2012.

1. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Better yet.....foam filled.........:D

2. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

My freebie...local high school shop was tossing it

[​IMG]

3. i will give you a tire for the kids swing man , just limp on down on your flip flops an getRdone!!

4. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

That's some funny shit right there---but I'm laughin WITH ya--so start laughin!

5. RodStRace

RodStRace

Too bad you are many states away; I could toss a few tires your direction for the swing. Bet if you post your address, you will have plenty by morning!:D
    Now you know why there is a special tool for that and has been since the '40s at least in darn near every gas station. Ain't no fun without the right tools!

I did a search for vintage tire changers and found this guy made his own.
    Maybe you can get even by building your own so the next time you can post a success!

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=toolt&th=276409

6. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Add exhaust system to the list of things your better off paying for.:eek:

7. afaulk

afaulk

Dude... i feel your pain LMAO! Just don't tell me ya fell off the roof.

8. S.F.

S.F.

haha, good read..............I cut a few tires off with a sawzall in about 10 minutes once....and theres nothing wrong with wearing sandles while : welding, grinding, painting, hammering stuff, doing a brake job, removing/installing an engine.

Things better off paying for :
    radiator work...

9. khead47

khead47

BIG LAUGHS! But seriously..... knew a kid in high school who changed his own tires. He would break the beads by driving over the tire! It worked.

10. Drewski

Drewski

I had the cure for your problem out in the shop............just down the road from Nashville.

[​IMG]

11. I use a jack all to break the beads loose, then a couple tire irons. I'm secure enough with my manhood to wear flip flops!!

12. Cantstop

Cantstop

I knew an old farmer that did his own too, could do a tire inabout 5 minutes...things you should pay for...drywall finishing

13. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

That's a great story. Funny stuff!

14. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

Great advice. Just today I went to Goodyear and let them break a tire/wheel down for me. I don't have time to waste or lessons to learn over and over LOL!

15. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

I am still painting the inside of the house I bought 5 years ago and swore i would have done before everything was moved in.

As for the tires... been there and done that. They don't look so menacing until you try and do it.

16. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I have a 6'8'' son in law who teaches high school auto shop, tires and wheels NO problem!

17. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Don't know about yours but my man card has a punch mark involving flip flops and the Grand Canyon

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  18. kleinbike

kleinbike
    from Nor Cal

Try the trick a neighbor pulled. Soak it with gas and set it on fire. :mad:

19. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I bought an old nasty coats10/10 at an auction for $50. It works great to break the beads, but is too worn out to dismount the tire. I used to throw the tire on the machine to break the bead, then take it off the machine to remove and mount the tire with 2 large screwdrivers.

Lately I just take them in to get dismounted, old age and laziness has set in. I can give someone a deal on a tire changer, you just have to come to my house to get it. Gene

20. hasty

hasty

Great story. Sounds uncomfortably familiar.

21. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Yep, I too use a car to break beads loose. Just drive on the the tire to be removed, it breaks the bead easy. Then I just use some soapy water and some big ol' tire irons to pry it off. Not really that hard once you see it done. I will say I have seen a few tires that seem to weld themselves to the rim, though. The worst I have seen were fat tires on some alloys. On the other hand, that guy was using a fancy machine at a dealer, and it was clear he didn't know what he was doing.

22. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Yes it does, it works very well. Learned that about 25 years ago. Changed tires before by hand but trying to set the bead with the air pressure out of one of those 25cent air stations does not work.

23. manyolcars

manyolcars

I grew up watching grandpa break down tires with a big metal wedge and a hammer on the farm and have been doing my own for more than 40 years, roofs too. About 20 years ago I paid $111 for a machine like Strokers.
    I still have grandpas wedge and the machine too

24. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Theres not a shop around here that wont break a tire down for less than $10.00 a tire,i said screw that,i bought my own used tire machine,its paid for itself 10 fold...

25. 41 C28

41 C28

You could replace Andy Rooney with your colorful commentary. You're right sometimes it better just to pay up. Maybe you should consider some "man shoes" for working in the garage.

26. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

What he dont want you to see is THE MACHINE!!!

27. moefuzz

moefuzz

Oh your a funny guy!

:rolleyes:

;)

28. i used to watch my dad dis-mount tires in the driveway with a bumperjack and a pry bar took about a half hour to do one tire

he placed the tire under the bumper of some car and then placed the baseplate of the jack to where the front of the base would just clear the side of the rim and then jacked the car up let the weight of the car break the bead then let the car down flipped the tire over and then broke the other bead the same way then used the pry-bar toroll the bead over the rim

and if your wonderin yes my dad is was a backwoods redneck but i never saw him get hurt doing this and i seen him do it ALOT didnt matter how wide or narrow the tire was

and i have done a few this way also

if the tire your taking off is junk you can cut the tire itself off witha sawzall then use a grinder or a air chisel to break the steel band (bead) just becarful cause the band has kinda of a spring tention to it

i cut off to old 14inch tires with my sawzall the otherday just to use the rims to put under a car when working under it (under the cars tires) i just left the bands on the rims though

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  29. rayjon

rayjon
    from Reno Nv..

drive onto to them with the truck to break the bead, 2 really big prybars and a pair of vicegrips work... then a ratchet strap around the tread to bead it when airing it up.. if its a big off road tire the lighter fluid trick works just air it up fast before the gas inside cools...

30. swazzie

swazzie

dude.... flip flops? . . . . dude . . . .dude