Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just spent a fortune on tires. Please tell me it's worth it!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atomickustom, Mar 26, 2012.

1. atomickustom

atomickustom

Okay, after a couple years of hemming and hawing I just got off the phone ordering almost exactly $1000 worth of wide whitewall radials for my '53 Chevy sled. I didn't spend that much money for any other part of the car, including the car itself ($850) or the drive train donor ($800), or the A/C system ($700).

Damn these things are expensive!! I kept waiting to find a used set, or for some other company to start underselling everyone else, but years just kept going by and my skinny whitewalls bothered me more and more every year. Every car I've ever liked had wide whites on it so I know I really want them, but damn! I better be jumping for joy when I get them.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  2. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

If your going to spend the money.... tires are a damn good place to do it.

3. atomickustom

atomickustom

I'm still just gagging on the price. I was even going to grind the skinny whites I have had on there since 2001 but they didn't have enough white rubber to make a decent whitewall.

4. 53choptop

53choptop

I have been there, was almost thinking of cancelling the order, but once they are on the car, it will be well worth it, wheels and tires make or break a car, besides unless you are planning on driving your car 150K plus miles a year they will last a good while.

5. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

Get the BFG radial T/A. Underneath the raised white lettering is a 2.5" WW.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I paid less than that for 6 tires for my motorhome. 16.5" super-duper 10 ply or something like that.

no whitewalls though.

7. Fenders

Fenders

Eleven year old tires? Yup sure time to replace.
    You may get shit since they are radials, but they will sure ride nice !

8. Jim J

Jim J

whadja get?

9. squirrel

squirrel

I bought a 57 chevy one ton truck a while back for $500, and built it on the cheap...then I discovered that putting tires on it was the most expensive part of the project. Over seven bills for generic 16" load range E truck tires.

10. atomickustom

atomickustom

That guy with the coupe: yeah, I know. I drive the car a couple days a week all year long and often with my family inside so radials it is.

Jim J: I got Diamond Backs. I didn't mention brand because I don't want to start a long thread debating the merits of various brands and models, or radials vs. bias plys. (There are several of those threads on the HAMB already. Just do a search and you'll see.)

53choptop: Thank you, that is exactly what I needed to hear.
    Really sharp Olds, by the way. I love those cars.

11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Think of it this way: Tires are the only thing on the road that keep you on the road......

12. Ya. It just plain sucks. It's one of the most expensive items of a build. They have you by the short and curlys when shopping for WWW. There are a few distributers but not much difference in price. Even skinny little bias WWW will set you back over $600. What the hell ya gonna do? It's the icing on the cake. They know that. And they know we'll pay it.
    Ya sure I've made my own WWW on a few real low buck drivers with great results, but there is just no substitue for the real thing.

13. jazz1

jazz1

quit looking at whitewalls now or you're going to find a set for $25 the exact size

14. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Thats not that bad considering the safety factor. I would never run used tires on anything that I or my family and friends were gonna be blowing down the highway in. Tires arent cheap. Three years ago I spent 1000 bux on my wifes car tires cuz she is out on the highway everyday. AND this hobby aint cheap by any means either.

15. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

here you go: I was worth it.

16. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You got screwed !! I bough 4 good used, WWW for $20.00 total. Of course, that was in 1962.................................:D

Actually, I spent $800 on a set of WWW about 4 years ago and I'm still thinking I was crazy, but whadda ya gonna do? If you have to spend outlandish money, tires & brakes is probably the most important thing on your car.

17. WornOutOldMan

WornOutOldMan
    from So Cal

It's only money. You can't take it with you...

18. Try riding on just rims . End this thread!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  19. Finding used ones are a slim to none chance. Also how old are used ones? usually past their expiry date and unsafe. Tires are a safety thing that should never be compromised. One of those parts of a car that is bought new only and should be one of the last items purchased for a long term project as even new tires can deteriorate and expire in 5 years. I've seem many individuals by a field car for a project ,then go buy a new set of tires for it, meanwhile the car is not going to see the road for years. I am getting off topic, so YES you made an excellent purchase ,once they are mounted on your car, it is priceless and safe too.

20. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Man I keep hearing shi% about the rubber only good for 7-8 years and they will start falling apart - that's bullshi% to spend that kind of bucks!! I don't think Corkie needs the money now - he owns damn near everything now - what gives? I don't like driving on 20+ year old bias ply 670x15 WWW. But I sure can't pay that kind of money either - if a tire lets go it will be parked - and that sucks!!

21. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Yup, tires are spendy. It was the largest single purchase I made for my coupe and it hurt a little. The sting will go away once you get those puppies mounted and on the car and stand back to take it in.

22. papajohn

papajohn

I always joke that everytime I buy new tires/wheels, I end up selling the car! Don't know why.

I'm sure it will look and ride great, and you will be happy with your purchase. Post some before and after pics when you get them.

23. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

Kind of OT. I put a $1300 optic on a $900 rifle. Just because it allowed the rifle to perform its best. Tires are the same thing, it is where the rubber meets the road literally! It sucks to do but buy once cry once.

24. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We were just talking about this the other night. I thought nothing of calling up Coker and spending $ 1000 for each car for tires for my two hot rods, but my daily driver is getting to the point where it will need tires soon and I am really agonizing over spending $ 500.00 on it ! :confused: We rodders love to spend money on our hot rods or customs, but for regular cars it is not so much fun.

Priorities. :D

Don

25. atomickustom

atomickustom

Everyone is making me feel better and I really do appreciate it. (Seriously. I was having strong second thoughts within seconds of hanging up the phone.) Thanks, HAMB.

26. Speed~On

Speed~On

They are expensive, but I like mine. I spent $1,000.00 on my Coker Classic WWW 2 years ago. Then it was another $1,000 for my powder coated steelies later that day. You will love them once you have them mounted and on your ride.
    Your buyers remorse will only last a few days. It is a little depressing though...for all of us that have made the purchase....now you're just sitting in the boat next to us...welcome aboard. :D

27. I like mine. I swapped swapped the tires on my Merc for the very same reason you are. I put the skinny whites on my 64 Pontiac that could have used tires and the skinny's look much better on it. Put wide radials on the Merc and have loved every mile on them (and the nicer look of the wide white).

28. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

I am running a new set of Diamondback whitewalls on my Fiddy One Victoria.......they roll nice, steer well, and are very comfortable.......you did not make a mistake....they are worth the price and will make your driving much safer and comfortable for many many miles........
    [​IMG]

And now with a '54 Chevy grill.....
    [​IMG]

CB

29. For once i was looking forward to NOT spending huge money on mag wheels plus tires. It's going to be a treat to save a few thousand and only buy shinny www tires.The wheels are so much cheaper on a shoe with caps.

30. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Reminds me of a joke I heard; the cheapest part of a hotrod is............(drum-roll here)..................................the owner. :D

It applies to me too.......I just received my new tires......two 600-16's and two 750-16's.....blackwall...........with shipping, just a tic over $900. Ouch! But like people said; it's all about safety-first.