Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. OK is that the same Don Moyer (From Ohio) that has drag cars here on HAMB ???

He does seem to have some type of FORD connection in the past.

Just --- Movin/on

2. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

To answer to the question on Don Moyer (from Ohio) NO!
    That car ran out of Fredericksburg Va. by Moyer Lincoln Mercury. Of the 6 factory 65 AFX Comets that was number 7 which was a backup Car just in case one of the 6 Factory Comets gotting into a bad Wreck in the first part od the season.
    Stropp sold it Moyer Lincoln Mercury with a 427 Med Riser in it it, It wasn't long before they put a 427 High Riser in it. It changed hands a few times and ended up in Ohio, where it was picked by Rick Kirk who restored it with a 427 SOHC in it. I haven't seen a picture of it sence Rick Restored it. From looking at the picture of it with the drivers door open I could see a window crank to roll down the drivers window. Every 65 AFX comets side windows did not roll down. Believe me it got hot in the car. It might have gotten added later on. Smart move on there part. All for now!! ~~~~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~~~

3. 65COMET

65COMET

Dave;never found those pictures,I must have been thinking of a different Comet. In the center picture of the Moyer Comet you can see the window crank. ROY.

4. In thE last picture in the series of the moyers comet the window is rolled down upon launch, must have been really hot that day!

5. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Back to the 65 AFX Moyer Comet;
    Take a look at the 3rd picture down, for Us clone builders there is a lot to learn.
    Check out the rear housing, it's a 9" center piece with 8" axle housing tubes welded on both ends, they had the small bearings on both ends. With the way the traction hook under the springs it will twist the housing up at the center section yoke. I twisted my BFX housing with a 289 ci 271 hp Engine. It twist at that neck down section at the ends. I replaced it with Small Bearing 63 Galaxie housing narrowed to the Comet size.
    Notice 2 spring on the Right and more on the Left, those Air bags make a big differanted along with the 50/50 shocks back then, don't forget to have longer spring shackles. Some shackles were longer on the right rear.
    See the Stuart Warner fuel pump, they were OK for a FLAT HEAD motor.
    The 65 AFXs did come with a muffler like the 64 Comets and T-Bolts.
    ~~~~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~~~

6. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Roy;
    As far as pictures go if you are at the track or shows ask around there is a lot of us Comet nuts around.
    The only 65 AFX Comet that had windows that might have went down was Don Nicholson 65 because it was a Prototype Build, The rest of the factory cars stayed up except the Moyer Car.
    All The 65 BFX Comet had Windows that went up and down, of the 2 Runs of Stropp BFX Comets the first batch plexglass window all around front and rear. The second batch had Glass on the side only with plexglass window front and rear. There is a lot to learn about the 65 AFX and BFX Stropp Comets.
    ~~~~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~~~

7. wayne421

wayne421
    BANNED

Dose anybody have any pics of passin gas 65 comet

8. 65COMET

65COMET

You mean the one that has all four wheels off the ground on launch?There are pictures of it on here in various posts. ROY.

9. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Roy not that one!
    The 65 BFX Comet that ran in Southern Califorina back in 1965 maybe up to 1970s or so? Maybe some of the older Dragracer or Dragrace Fans might remember! I been trying to find out for Years. I have the BFX with the VIN next to mine only a 3/4 mile down the Street but that doesn't help me. Comet Folk out there I need help. ~~~~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~~~

10. 65COMET

65COMET

Dave;that answer was for wayne421,sorry,should have been a bit more clear!!Dave I have been going to the drags in So.CA. since 1950s,been racing here since 1968,can not place that Comet! ROY.

11. wayne421

wayne421
    BANNED

Oh okay I had some pics from a magzine from 65 somewhere

12. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Mystery Comet in the works....not mine.Wish it was!

Attached Files:

13. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

It was for sale at Mecum.Look it up...and yes,it is the one doing the bunny hop on the launch,with a passenger!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  14. 64 a/fx

64 a/fx

been a while since I posted, been trying to finish the comet. got the air box and tubes in. not the period correct but will work for street use and an occasional trip down the track. took it to goodguys Ft. Worth and had a blast with it. only one other comet I could find and it was a 202 427 post car. lots of lookers and bunch of questions on it. surprised how many are not familiar with the comet stables.

alan

[​IMG]

15. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Looks great Alan Good Job

16. wayne421

wayne421
    BANNED

Any info on how much passin gas sold for or any more pics

17. dscomet

dscomet
    from michigan

nice comet looks great

18. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

This ad is from Drag News 1 Aug 1964 Pg 7.

Drag News also mentions Houston Platt having the Comet in the 25 July issue.

Did he actually own this car or was driving / selling it for someone else?

Regards,
    Dennis

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  19. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

RE mystery Comet, it states in the caption. West Bros L-M in Plymouth MI. Known as the Motor City Marauder. Owned/driven by Norm Wertz, then sold to Lou Zangara.

Regards,
    Dennis

20. Falconred

Falconred

I hope to see Hubert at a local event in the near future and will ask him. Take care Dennis, when you coming south again?

21. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Passing Gas will be at the Mecum Auction Indy.It is lot # F195 and is scheduled for auction on May 18 Friday at 3:00 pm.Go to the Mecum site and there is some pictures of the car.

22. 65COMET

65COMET

Alan;your Comet looks great!! Did you figure out the cooling issue? ROY.

23. 64 a/fx

64 a/fx

not yet, talked to the guy from PRC at goodguys. they think that possibly my fans are not moving enough air. the ones I have are no name and do not list cfm or anything. may look into spal and see if that will help but would like to know what I have now is pulling for cfm. suggestions?

alan

24. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Alan, take a look at Derale's website. I've assisted with design, and R&D on some of their newer stuff. They have a 17" unit that we designed for push/pull. A modular design, fits into very tight spaces. I have one of the original's on my '64, and have put it out in front of the radiator. But, they're others as well. Advertised CFM rates, and "true" CFM flow are two entirely different things

www.derale.com

Dale

25. ratbassturd

ratbassturd

My father is putting a '65 together now. It is going to be all original, sitting high in the front as they were, with the stock stainless hubcaps. Will post pics soon!

26. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Reall nice looking car Alan, like the blue interior goes good with the white. Al

27. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Thanks Dennis

[​IMG]

So this Comet became this one

[​IMG]

And then later the Golden Comet and then wrecked.

[​IMG]

28. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

[​IMG]

29. 64 a/fx

64 a/fx

as long and big as this thread is some might forget all the pictures that have been posted. here are some I have collected over the years. maybe some old that are on here already but maybe some new ones. buttttttttt, 276 pages is a lot to go back over.

alan

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. 64 a/fx

64 a/fx

here's a couple of others, again not sure it they have been posted before or not.

enjoy

alan

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]