Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs *** 1961 Cadillac CDV Kustom build ***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ian Berky, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Man! It's coming along nicely, the floor and firewall look great.

2. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spacely Sprockets sales rep Caddy for sure.

3. lowcad61

lowcad61
    from 18947

just stumbled across this thread. I have been stalled for a while on my 61 coupe - but I somehow feel motivated now.....

Awesome metal work Ian. I have mine bagged and that took me a whole summer. You should have your own TV show. Jesse James ain't got nothing on you.

4. gecko54

gecko54
    from Sumner, WA

Nice job on the column (and everything else). Question, how are you holding the bearings in, set screw, tack-weld?

5. 39 tow

39 tow
    from Utah

wow, every time I come to this post you inspire me to scrap what I just took hours to do and do it over so that it looks better. I don't know wither to hate you or to thank you. you are inspiring me to take my own level of craftsmanship up a level or two (although I am NO where near your level) just the same the inspiration is awesome. thank you.

6. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thank you for all the nice comments!

JJ is definitely one of my favorite shaper/fabricator and that you think I'm in his league is very kind, but if I were to put compare on a scale of 1/10...... I am at about 1.5 and JJ is at about 11. But thank you.

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks Ian, I try my best. I've been getting pretty good with the old mig weldeerrrrr.....oh wait you mean Jesse. Damn it.

8. dB Zac

dB Zac

Sweet car man! I just picked up and bagged a 62 hard top so that I have something to play with while I blast the body apart on my wagon for the final stage of the build. Looking at this thread makes me want to cut the caddy up and put a chopped bubble top on it (but I tild my self, no body mod's just quick and easy LOL)

9. Zaid880

Zaid880
    from Phoenix

Hey Ian,

When you put the rear back together:

1. Did you nix the rear shock altogether? I see that you cut the whole mount for it off.
    2. The plate you welded on the trailing arm: does the base of the rear bag fit flush against that? It's hard to tell from the picture.

I have some more questions but this will really help!
    Thanks dude.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  10. skee

skee

Where's the updates, I can't wait any longer.

11. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Same here!

12. Reijer

Reijer

Sweet Jebus, what a project.

13. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thanx guys for all the comments!! Cadillac is a bit on the back burner for now , but as soon as the panel truck is painted....im back on it and im stoked about it... Nice to take a step back!!!!

14. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I hear ya Ian I am glad mine is at the painter.....you going to Gambino sitdown?

15. themotherbrain

themotherbrain
    from New York

Hey zaid. You can look in my album on the caddy forum for clarification, but the shock mount is still there in the pic from what I can see. You need the rear shock or it's pretty bouncy ride. To answer your other question the base of the bag does sit flush on that plate welded onto the trailing arm and a bolt is fed through a factory hole the arm from the bottom to attach it. The shocks go in the same place as always. These cars are set up perfect for air ride with very little need for modification.

16. themotherbrain

themotherbrain
    from New York

Looking forward to the next chapter Ian. I eat, breath, and shit '61 coupe deville (dragged another one home) in my spare time it seems, lol.

17. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

GOOD TO HEAR MAN!!!! NO SITDOWN FOR US.... I HAVE NOTHING NEW TO SHOW AND MY WIFE IS STARTING A NEW JOB IN MAY SO NOT MUCH PLAYTIME ..... AND WE'RE A TEAM!!!;)

Cant wait to see the Ford!!!!:))

18. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Right on man!!! I've been excited in the last week or so on getting back on it and it's really nice!!!! got burnt for a while!!!!

19. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Cool deal. We will hook up sometime.

20. themotherbrain

themotherbrain
    from New York

I know what you mean. I had all the plans for the short-deck, then I got a decent deal on a coupe and decided to start the tear-down all over on that car instead because i love that sexy bubbletop. At least all the suspension stuff and drivetrain I restored is the same and I don't have to do that over again. I did waste some good time there though. I've stripped 4 of these things now (2 beat ass 62 parts cars) and it's getting a little redundant! Some day I'll get to drive it though! :D

21. HEAVY100

HEAVY100

22. L2A3Sterling

L2A3Sterling
    from Wisconsin

Awesome job (design as well as the metal work) on the Caddy so far Ian... Can't wait to see it complete.

BTW this thread got me to finally join the HAMB.

Adam

23. 1927 Death Trap

1927 Death Trap
    from CT

I'm glad to hear you've put things down for a minn, sometimes you need a creative break and I would personally not like to see this one get rushed. My cats and I will be waiting patiently. ;)

24. 62droptop

62droptop

Ian, just wondering if you have any new progress to show

been checking back regularily hoping to see some progress on the totally bitchin build

25. lgh1157

lgh1157

Ian - great seeing you a few weeks back, the rides are looking good.

[​IMG]

26. metalix_421

metalix_421

Lookin good Ian any progress?

27. oldman2

oldman2

Yeah, anything at all???...Jim

28. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

You've got to go to Ians facebook page for updates. "IB Kustoms" It's still in the works and looking more Killer all the time.

James

29. Dang thats a bummer he isnt posting here anymore. I love watching his builds, and I dont have face book =(