Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 50 Chevy Chop- Finally In Process

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by JVK54, Feb 22, 2012.

1. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Another monster born!!!!!!

2. Good lookin profile. How much clearance do you have from axle to frame in the rear? Are you planning on a mild notch in the frame?

3. caddy6d

caddy6d

Looks way better already

4. CUTITUP53chevy

CUTITUP53chevy

looks great glad to see you fixed the roof cant wait to see it done

5. JVK54

JVK54

Enough to have a pretty good sized dude jump on the rear bumper with some enthusiasm and still have no contact issues with the frame, pumpkin or torque tube. I'm not planning on a c-notch at this point. But, once the springs settle , the interior is in and under real driving conditions it's always possible that there might be problems. If so I'll probably fine tune with smaller blocks.

6. JVK54

JVK54

A pillars are gettin there
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think my car got T-boned in the 50s..due to the clearly replaced pass side rear quarter and lots of old lead work
    [​IMG]
    This is not a rat rod and this guy smelled pretty bad when he started to heat up
    [​IMG]
    Nothing like a night warm enough to work with the doors open..oh well, back down to the 40s tomorrow
    [​IMG]

7. BadLuck

BadLuck

perfect amount out of the top..great work!

8. JVK54

JVK54

Well, still a ton to do but the b-pillars are looking good
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and we have the rear window placed pretty much. I thought we might need to take and inch or two of hight out of it . But I think it ill flow really well like this and can stay stock...Sail panels are getting mocked up as well. Because I want to have this car running and driving this summer, and pretty much every body panel has issues- I'm temporarily going to run mar-glass and bondo..and then address a quarter at a time..or simply wait till next winter to do the metal work on the body..Yeah..I know..it sucks BUT I really want to enjoy driving the car while completing it.. which could easily take a couple of years,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wiring in process..at least the important stuff on the firewall is done!
    [​IMG]

9. Thanks for the link Jesse.

10. Albie

Albie

Great chop. Car looks pretty solid. I know what you mean about driving it. Ive got an east coast survivor with rust issues. Was originally gonna drive it while working on it, but decided to fix all the issues first. That was 3 years ago and its hard to find the motavation sometimes to keep at it when its in pieces in the garage. Keep it going.

11. Ficco55Merc

Ficco55Merc
    from Mass

Looks great. Hope to see it in person at a show this year

12. billys54

billys54

13. metalinnovations

metalinnovations
    from mass.

Some photos for you Jesse. We started messing with the rear window and sail panels. We slanted the window down and also moved the whole rear window forward 2". We will also change the shape of the belt line between the 1/4 glass and the rear window so it flows better into the quarters.

Attached Files:

14. JVK54

JVK54

Thanks Albie. Yeah the weird thing about this car is that it really has very little rust issues for a New England car . Everything is oil collision damage. The right rear quarter had been replaced in the 50s(judging from the lead work)..and then was hit again(judging from the bodo)..It looks like a tree fell on the roof and hood...plus really strange and similar damage on the lower drivers side quarter..Then there are dings some rust and just the usual stuff to deal with almost everywhere else..It's just a lot of work...Eventually the whole body will be metal..but for now I just want to get the chop done, make the body presentable and drive it as I go.

15. JVK54

JVK54

Last nights efforts- It's really fun when ya start to really see things take shape. Next we need to tack the rear window into it's permanent "real" place.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    When Chevasours ruled the earth
    [​IMG]

16. JVK54

JVK54

Shaved the doorhandles...and did a quick spanish chrome job on the bumpers (they are temporary) Hope that GIBBS stuff works because I just bought 4 cans and I'm going to running some bare metal this summer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. hvychvy

hvychvy

Nice work,dig the chop,flows nice!!

18. Albie

Albie

Looks sick, great work man. Ive been inspired to get out in the garage! Im shooting for August. Keep up the progress!

19. cretin

cretin

Nice, tasteful chop. Nice work.

20. nek635

nek635

21. JVK54

JVK54

Needed a little instant gratification. Plus I want to get the dash wired and make the car run because I'm at least a moth behind schedule..So I painted the dash yesterday. It's Lexus Black Garnet Pearl and Wimbledon White..The body will run in black epoxy and bare metal this summer . Once all the metal work and mods are done on the body I will be going with black, the brandywine or a combination of the two.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

23. Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly

24. JVK54

JVK54

25. JVK54

JVK54

Door tops done ('cept for the trim holes)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And some real impressive stuff by Jon-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BAM!
    [​IMG]

26. Tin Can

Tin Can

chop is lookin good. THats a nice corner piece you made there!

27. 510madmav

510madmav

28. SycoSteve

SycoSteve

That is a really cool jig you made for the quarter window radius! Bad ass!

29. docmike

docmike

Man I like the way your car is looking. When you get done practicing your top chop on your car let me know and I'll bring mine over so we can get started on my '52. Man, I really like the way your car is turning out. I'm going to be following this thread because I want to see what you do for your tail lights. I've been thinking about using '50 Ford tail lights also.

Doc

30. metalinnovations

metalinnovations
    from mass.

Some more photos. Got the rear quarter pcs. in and got rid of the trim holes on the door tops. Movin on to the rear.

Attached Files: