Register now to get rid of these ads!

F1 hub vs F100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Armandi, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Armandi

Armandi

I know this topic has been discussed many times here before but i have seen different answers on one specific question.

I have a set of F1 hubs and 1 set of F100 hubs. Which is which?

One is slighty shorter than the other. My first thoughts were that those are the F1. I have seen a thread on here making the same claim but also a thread on another forum with the opposite. Both had pics.

anyone?

2. Here you go

Attached Files:

3. Armandi

Armandi

Thank You!

I am not sure how the Speedway conversion kit can work for both of these though (says so on their website). When I took them apart today the F1 has a larger diameter.

4. 54BOMB

54BOMB

The speedway kit is only for the F100.

5. Armandi

Armandi

6. It works because F-1 and F-100 use the same bearings and races on the same spacing.

The backing plates are the same along with all the brake parts.

The hubs and drums are the only parts that are different, and they interchange as an
    assembly.

I have found F-100 hubs and drums on an F-1 and vice versa, I have even found a truck with an F-1 hub and drum on one side an F-100 hub and drum on the other.

7. Armandi

Armandi

The part about The hubs being interchangeable makes sense. What doesn't is that the hubs had two different race sizes. The F1 races were too big to fit into the F100 hub. Unless speedway sends both sizes. Anyhow... I'll order the kit and test fit it to both. I plan on using the f100 hub to 42-48 spindles.

What you say definitely makes sense though because I thought I had a 53 axle but the hubs are the longer F1 version.

I'll post the results about the kit. Thx guys!

8. If the F-1 bearing race doesn't fit your F-100 hub, the hub is not a '53-'56
    F-100 hub, probably a later model hub, they used smaller bearings.

9. Armandi

Armandi

Could be it. I should still be able to use the F1 hubs then with the early spindles right?

I was tempted to go at using the F1 spindles but was unsure about the camber change. Unsure about what year axle this is.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  10. Armandi

Armandi

steering arm is on table below axle.

11. 54BOMB

54BOMB

12. It looks like both spindles have bolt on steering arms, if so, they are F-100
    spindles. F-100 spindles won't work on early axles.

Speedway's notes are correct, their bearing kit will adapt both '53-'56 F-100
    and '48-'52 F-1 brakes, just like it says.

I bought one of these kits, the bearings came unboxed in a plastic bag. They did not have a manufacturers name on them. I was not impressed; but they are less than half the price
    of name brand bearings.

If some of your bearings and races are good, you may not need the whole kit, you
    could just get the needed Timken bearings locally. Outers are 09067 & 09196, the inner
    cones to make this work are 14116, the inner cups are 14276.The seals are National 473440.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  13. Armandi

Armandi

Thanks for the info rich. I thought that was a 53 F100 axle myself. When I pulled the hubs they were then larger F1 variety. Like you said this they could have been changed. Axle looked pretty stock though. I saved all the old bearings and races so I'll post some pics today before I make an order.

I guess the good part of this all is by the time I get this to work I'll know what the hell I'm doing right? Thx again!

14. Armandi

Armandi

Ok I'll post pics later but here is what I know. The larger of the hubs inner race is Timken 14276. The inner race of the smaller hub is LM48510. What hub does that make the smaller one?

15. Armandi

Armandi

here go some pics

Attached Files:

16. Armandi

Armandi

17. The LM48510 is the inner cup used in a BR5 bearing set. This set was used in various '57
    and up Ford F series; but it was also used in literally hundreds of other cars. The 5 on 5-1/2" bolt pattern should make it a Ford truck hub; but with nothing to match it to, probably
    hard to pin it down exactly.

18. Armandi

Armandi

I knew you would come through Rich. Thats so random to find that hub. Ill go with the others. I guess that means I dont need to buy the kit either. Just the inner bearings, races, and seals.

19. Armandi

Armandi

Debating...already spent $50 today on three bearings. The inner seals (national 450461...am I right) are special order everywhere. Another $30 minimum. The entire speedway kit itself is $39 and I could add it to my order. I'm sure the bearings are probably inferior to the ones I purchased today but how cheap can they be?

Opinions.

20. Your right about the seal number National 450461, (somehow copied part of a phone number into my post). Fixed that now.

Last set of bearing I bought were Timken from Rock Auto, the six pieces were just under $95.00 with shipping. This was cheaper than buying in town.

I guess you need to make your own decision of the value of the Speedway kit.

Last place I worked, a manufacturer switched from Timken and Sealmaster to private label Chinese bearings. Our customers were soon seeing bearing failures that were unheard previously. My experience. Just saying.

21. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Hey guys,I ordered a set from speedway to carry as extra's on long trips. and the inner race in their package is 14274 instead of 14276 ????? all other numbers match what was posted earlier??????:confused:

22. Armandi

Armandi

I got my speedway kit a few days ago. I'll have to check that tomorrow.

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

DO check inner bearing's inner race I.D. on spindle. (F100 inner bearing is .063" larger I.D. than '37-'48 passenger car, not sure about F-1)

That axle's a '53-'56, by the way. (see the forward 'dip' in the center)
    If you set a backing plate on the spindle, then slide the hub on, then the drum, and all fits nicely, you have the right combination.
    F-1 brake shoes (and drums) are shallow, F100s are deep.

24. Timkem's web sight does not list the 14274 cup as being used with the 14116 inner bearing, this does not necessarily mean it won't interchange; but makes you wonder why they just didn't send the 14276 cup that is listed for this application.

F-1 and F-100 use the same bearings and the same 2" brake shoes.

The F-1 drums are actually deeper than F-100 drums due to the hub flange spacing.

25. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Got in touch with Speedway,and sure enuff,I had the wrong inner bearing races---they are shipping out the right ones----hope there wasn't a bunch of them packaged up wrong!!!:eek:

26. Armandi

Armandi

I better check mine...