Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aluminum belly tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by appaRATus, Mar 25, 2012.

1. appaRATus

appaRATus

I have access to an all aluminum belly tank that is appx. 13.5 feet long and 25 inches in diameter at the widest part. The tank is three pieces. It has a nose, mid section and a tail. I was wondering would it be worth my time to try and sell it to someone who wanted it for a salt racer or would I be better off just scraping it?
    I have no idea if this tank is desirable for a racer and do not want to waste my time trying to sell it if it is better suited for scrap. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some guys would want it just to hang in the rafters in the shop. Don't scrap it as someone will probably be trying to chase you down before the end of the day.

3. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

You should be able to get more than scrap price for something like that.

4. flathead okie

flathead okie

Yeah, DON'T scrap it.
    I frequent a scrap yard here in town and see qiute a bit of good material being junked.
    I pick up a Model A frame, and a frame and lower casing/trans for a 59 Indian Chief.
    I sold both for 250 ea. last week at our swap meet. I paid 35 ea for them.
    People need this stuff for projects.
    Sell don't scrap, put it in the classifieds.

5. Post up some pictures!

6. brandonwillis

brandonwillis
    from Tucson AZ

post up some pics man id like to see it

7. appaRATus

appaRATus

If I do not have to work Monday I will be going to pick it up, just as soon as I can get it on the trailer I will get some pics of it and get them posted. I am curious as to what type of aircraft it came from. From what I have read about them today I know it is not from a P-38, the guy I got it from has no idea what it is from.

I am pretty sure I will not be scraping it.

8. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

i went with a buddy to "the big 3" swap meet a few years ago.we brought one of those belly tanks.we took it off the trailer and started to walk around,didnt get very far and a guy walked up and bought them for around $1700 bucks.

9. appaRATus

appaRATus

We just got back in from picking this up. It's just held together with a ratchet strap for now, I wanted to get some pics of it up and see if anyone knows what it was from.

I have done a little research and I think it could be from either a F4 or F86, anyone know for sure? Also what this may be worth? If I try to sell it I don't want to price it to low or even to high.

Thanks,
    Dude

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  10. appaRATus

appaRATus

11. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

It's a little slim for a race car.
    If it's in three pieces, I'd be interested in getting the nose cone and tail section though.

-Brad

12. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Be a good size for small driver and inline or motorcycle motor.

13. appaRATus

appaRATus

Brad, for now I would like to keep all three pieces together but, if I decide to split it up I will keep you in mind.

Dude