Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 57 ford truck dies when stopping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by icedummy, Mar 25, 2012.

1. icedummy

icedummy
    from colorado

So I've got this 57 ford f100 with the 272. The thing runs great until I go to stop. The thing acts like it runs out of fuel or something. It starts right back up after that but can't figure it out. Any suggestions?

2. madgrinder

madgrinder

Check your float level.

3. icedummy

icedummy
    from colorado

Do I need to take the carb apart to adjust it? Or is there an adjustment screw on the outside of the carb. It is the original holley carb.

4. greg

greg

when i had a 57 I couldnt keep rust out of the fuel system from the big fuel tank behind the seat.
    not sure what to tell you on the float level. you can look down the carb and work the carb linkage to see if its squirting fuel or not.

5. Davyj

Davyj

Could also be a vacuum leak, that will cause it to run bad at low rpm. But the big money is on the carb................

6. icedummy

icedummy
    from colorado

Thanks guys. I had thought about replacing the vacuum advance unit but wasn't sure if that would help. It is probably the original one so might not hurt. The truck runs great other wise. Idles good when sitting in my garage.

7. X2, on this

8. Check the Dwell.