Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A barn find!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nickk, Jul 17, 2011.

1. nickk

nickk

today i went out and got a stock exuast and intake manifold from a guy for 15 bucks, figured id use it to help design a flange for the header im making and for a intake if i have to make one and while getting this i saw a 4 blade model A fan (2 actual blades) but anyways my point is the guy im getting this coupe from has been wanting one for awhile and always talk about getting one for his sedan! and i took this chance and bought it for him, it was only 10 bucks but i think it'll be one of those priceless moment when i give it to him, it was really dirty and stuff so i just took a brass wire wheel to it and got it real nice and painted black, hopefully it'll be nice enough for his ride

[​IMG]

2. nickk

nickk

not a hot rod but a very good looking car, it was restored 20 years ago but still looks great

3. skoh73

skoh73

It doesn't matter how much it cost, that's pretty nice of you. I'm sure that he will appreciate it. Good on you.

4. nickk

nickk

alittle update for everyone following my story, this is a kinda long process of paying for the coupe, i got 2 grand paid so far which is awesome and im getting paid friday! but i went over to the guys house the other day, i got him a 4 blade system for his 4dr 30 model A and forgot to get the pully, so I went back and got that for him. I tell ya what, that pully was black as night from 80 yrs of grease but i was able to get it spotless with mag wheel cleaner, and then litterally spent 4 hours polishing it to the point of looking like crome, then re-traced the threads, got him some stainless bolts and lock tight to hold em in, but needless to say he was thrilled that i did all that work and got all the stuff for him. and a little more news, he told me i could start working on the coupe whenever but where it is there is no room, so hes gonna move his 66 mustang out of the barn so i can have more room, which is awesome, so im gonna pull the fenders, get some good tires on and do what little welding it needs and get it running

5. budd

budd

oh you will be driving around before long, ok how much do you owe now?

6. nickk

nickk

oh yeah im gonna try, I owe 4k, it kinda sucks when i think about it bc i make like 10k a year at my job, but i tend to make any sacrifices needed to help pay for it. plus i try to be productive on my days off of my job and make extra money. the fellow im getting it from said for me to take my time so i have some spending money for myself rather then pay him every penny i make, but its worth it to me, ive never wanted something so bad. this car and the story behind it and this guy and his family making me feel like family has just been awesome and i wouldnt trade it for nothing

7. knotttty

knotttty

now thats what its all about.... meeting people... making friends.. and understanding life and people...the car is secondary......

you have learned quite a few great life lessons since you got involved with this car.... good on you... and your new "family"

Roy

8. nickk

nickk

its been a hot minute since Ive updated on this story, for those that have follow the story I'm happy to say I'm getting closer and closer to owning my coupe, I only have 2,250 left to pay and my tax returns are here soon! Today I went went to put down some money and my old friend was jokenly telling me that he was thinking about hot rodding his 30 sedan, I ask him if he was feeling under the weather because he loves his stock model A's. Anyways we got to talking and he was telling me the more he looks at his sedan compared to his other he thinks its rough and beat up, which its not as nice but after you see the picture of it we can all agree its nice for being 82 years old. Anyways I was kidding when I told him "hey, if you dont want it I'll give you another 6k after I finish paying of my coupe" then the gears in his head start turning, and he said we may just do that. he never considered selling it because hes had it since 1959 too, but he agreed thats thier no one else he rather have it then me :) so needless to say I maybe buying a sedan from him also in the near future. heres some pictures...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  9. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Keep it up and you are going to need to get a barn of your own. :p

10. nickk

nickk

haha got that coverd, i have many of them but their full of farm equipment!

11. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I'm seeing some tractors parked outside in the future.:D

12. nickk

nickk

For those who have followed me through all this, its official, I paid this coupe off yesterday. Suppose to hopefully pick it up tomorrow!

13. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

good for you,gotta be a good feeling.now you can start on your own car,and don' forget about your ole buddy

14. That's awesome! congrats dude.

15. nickk

nickk

thanks!! I'm honestly just rediculously excited, yes its not a 32 ford, but to ME its even better, ever since i was a kid and saw my uncles 31 coupe ive wanted one. I'm gonna do this one right and hopefully make everyone alittle proud

16. A Rodder

A Rodder

Great Job! Way to make your family and yourself proud, way to follow thru!

17. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Too Cool!! Keep us posted on your progress and don't forget to post pictures.

18. Nick I just read you whole story & it made me feel really good. I wish you the best on getting your A on the road the way you want it. Reminded me of my first car a 30 modelA sport coupe that I had to tow home. I put a new head gasket in & away it went. I was only 15 & worked being a hod carrier that summer & that was back in 1950. Thanks for the memory.
    B-O-B

19. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

Nick, You sir are a true Hot Rodder. My hat is off to you. Have a ball with Henry's Lady.

20. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Congrats on getting your Model A!!! I have really enjoyed reading this thread. Way to follow through, you earned it. Look forward to your progress and updates on your "A"!

21. gmpartsgod

gmpartsgod

Lotsa.... I know a guy who knows a guy storys.but you hit the mothers load.....lots a luck...

22. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Now that your name will be on the title the REAL fun is about to begin. Keep us posted just like you have been doing. At 67 I find myself getting as excited about yours as I was when I got my first Model A in 1959.

Frank

23. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Holy crap what an awesome story. You are one lucky dude.

24. This story brought a tears to my eyes.
    I think it's because it's not my car?

Awesome find. Do the ole guy proud and maybe he'll give you the others laying around the yard?

25. Just found this thread.
    Nothing like a warm fuzzy story on a Sunday morning, and this one is right up there.
    You are a lucky kid !
    You have recieved something that money can't buy.

26. mtrhead

mtrhead

Great story... Good luck on your new piece of history.. Keep it going!!!

27. zoomma

zoomma

Sat here this morning and read your story.
    What a great read. And what a great story.
    Wish there was someone around here like your new friend.
    I could use the education.

28. silversink

silversink

Subscribed----I see this thread going for a long time with great results. You are making an old fart proud to help a kid into an obsecion that will last a life time.
    50 years from now you will have a story of your own about the A you bought. Just remember who helped you when a snot nosed kid takes interest in your model A and wants to hear all about it.
    I enjoy haveing a couple kids in the neiborhood come over to learn all they can about what i can pass on.

29. JAWS

JAWS

WOW!!
    I'm proud of you and glad you are not the normal kid who thinks he's entitled.

I know it's supposed to be about the cars with us....but it really is the relationships we have. The history, and the experiences.

On a real note, enjoy your friend and the time with him......it goes by so fast.

I'll leave it at that.

30. nickk

nickk

well the day has came and the coupe came to its new home, my ol buddy brought it over on his rollback, i helped him load it and he said he was gonna go eat dinner with his family 1st then he'd bring it over, so i quickly ran by my work to get oil and hurried home. I litterally sat and waited for him to pull in so i could video it coming down the driveway, and dang if i didnt get too excited and forgot how to work my phone. oh well i probably couldnt have figured out how to download it to here anyways. but its here, a quite few of people came by to see it. the 1st car my mom hasnt complained about me bringing home (that makes it a definate keeper). well i got it in my shop and dropped the oil pan 1st to clean it and check out what was left behind, like the little chunks of babbit i found. the motor runs good but idk how long it'll last after a few days of continous driving. And then I removed the hood, bumpers, and was gonna take off the fenders but then realised my aprons and running boards was one peice, which through me for a loop because i thought they was 2 peices. But anyways my goal is to remove the fenders next, clean up the car and drive it. I love a stock model A but god do I love hot rods, so Im gonna try to give it the best of both worlds. pictures to come