Register now to get rid of these ads!

mustang vs. s-10 t5 tailshaft housing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gotit, Mar 24, 2012.

1. gotit

gotit

I understand that the shifter location is farther forward on the s-10 tailhousing but how much? A friend of mine has a mustang t5 in his car and I told him to get a s-10 housing to get the shifter closer to the hole.

Do you have to change output shaft to do the swap? What is involved?

Thank you in advance

If it does just swap does anyone have one they would like to sell or all the parts necessary

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  2. bobscogin

bobscogin

No change of output shaft required, but get the S10 transmission top to go with the tailshaft housing. There's been a lot of debate and hand wringing over the countershaft oiling funnel. I think the generally accepted opinin is that the oiling funnel should follow the tailshaft housing, so that would mean use the S10 funnel if possible.

Bob

3. gotit

gotit

I had a chance to get a better look at the car today and see the shifter location. It really needs to mice forward about 4" and it could stand to go towards the drivers side an inch. It is a 1963 fairlane with a 289relationship and the mustang t5.

Are there any housings that move the shifter forward a few inches?

4. dcwest32

dcwest32

do a search on here for the S-10 tail housing on Ford T-5 , sometime ago there was a tech on this exchange...

5. gotit

gotit

I have searched and nothing had the shifter location specs except mustang vs. S-10 and that looks to be 7" forward.

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Check the link in my sig

Here's a pic stolen from elsewhere on the HAMB that should give you an idea - from left to right: early Ford, S10 T5, Mustang T5

Attached Files:

7. mink

mink
    from CT

There a thread here that shows how to adapt the s10 tail housing to the camaro T5. I found a junked s10 tranny for 50$ and used it for the housing. My camaro t5 tailshaft required some modification. I had to relocate the hole for the new location of the speedometer gear