Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. who are you callin "sorry"

I can wait..

2. yonahrr

yonahrr

Unkind cut

I finally got to the shop for an hour or so. I used my Greenlee knock out punches to make holes for the exhaust pipes in the hood side. Then I put the piece back into the shear and cut it down the middle through the holes. That's where I screwed up. I had two lines on the metal and in my haste I lined up the right side on one line and the left side on the other line. Always x out a line if you're not going to use it. Still I learned something good. It's going to be real hard to slide a piece of metal under the exhaust pipes. I think I'm going to make the piece under the pipes semi permanent. Also I'm going to make the top part of the hood side extend down to the wood on the front and rear of the pipes. this leaves only the middle semi permanent piece under the pipes when I lift the hood. I'm still not settled about the hole around the pipes--whether it will be individual holes or one long one.

Jerry

Attached Files:

3. refer to post 1929

sad about that cut...
    the rectangle opening will breathe let some of that oily fumes out ? ... helping keep the engine somewaht cleaner..

even if it seems a little like a over the stove /range hood

another place for hidden lites

4. scoop?????

Attached Files:

5. 38 coupe

38 coupe
    from Texas

I vote no on the scoop. Six individual holes works really well with the vintage look of the exhaust.

6. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Maybe a tiny raised drip line edge above, so water running down the hood doesn't run inside?

7. budd

budd

are the sides going to be painted? will the pipes get hot enough to burn the paint off?

8. yonahrr

yonahrr

Good question. I've seen a lot of cars with exposed pipes and the paint seems fine. But those pipes get pretty hot! So what to do? Leave a lot of room around the pipes? Trim out the holes with brass? Not sure.

Jerry

9. yonahrr

yonahrr

Holes

Ever see that movie? Pretty good. Okay, I carefully traced around the pipes to get a real accurate picture of where the pipes are in relation to the sheet metal. I'm using this messed up hood side for a template. The idea is to make a new hood side and leave the front and rear of the side while cutting out directly below the pipes. I'm going to semi-permanently fasten the piece directly below the pipes to the wooden shelf. As to how big to make the holes around the pipes--I'm not sure. Right now I'm going to start with the holes as described by the black circles and see what it looks like. Two of them have gone a little off the reservation but I'll just take an average and I don't think it'll be too noticeable.

Jerry

Attached Files:

10. a little breathing room?:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    if you use the cut out version your showingthen fold back the area between each pair of holes ????
    the fold will add strength ???

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  11. yonahrr

yonahrr

I love the way you do that stuff! I'm studying it.

Jerry

12. yonahrr

yonahrr

Hood side redo

Got to sneak away today. I've gotten my fill of building walls and moving garage doors. But there's still more work. Anyway, I laid out a new hood side and punched new holes--this time bigger. On the first hole I noticed the metal distorting slightly so I sharpened the cutter and put some wax on it. That helped. The other difficult thing was cutting out the piece under the pipes. Luckily the shear blade fit between the holes. I didn't have time to try the piece on the car. Maybe tomorrow.

Jerry

Attached Files:

13. aussiecowboy

aussiecowboy
    from Australia

I have just spent two days reading this, simply amazing. I have been collecting parts for a similar project for a while, a lot harder to come by down under though.

14. yonahrr

yonahrr

Holes II

I ran by and gave the hood side a fit check. Looked good. I'm thinking wrapped exhaust now. I loved all the brass mesh suggestions but time and money are against me. The next part is making up some guides so the upper and lower pieces will fit together. I'm pondering brass trim too.

Jerry

Attached Files:

15. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Looks like a good start, with some chrome or brass trim it should look great. You could trim each hole or trim the 6- hole oval area.

And be thinking if what to do on the other side too; it should be about the same size.

16. Seems like it needs a bead detail or some louvers. I always liked the idea of wrapping the exhaust!

17. go man go
    hood locator ??? tongue and groove not pin/bullet and hole

how will the hood swing into place ..from above then straight down or more from the side going towards the engine

hahhahha lunch box latch or two between every pipe hhhahahahahaha mmmm smell the bacon

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  18. yonahrr

yonahrr

I experimented with the tongue and groove thing today--the pin and hole deal is much simpler. On the side I think there can only be a tongue and groove, though, since it's got to slide straight down. Maybe out a small cooking box near the pipes. Anyone ever read the book MANIFOLD DESTINY about cooking on your exhaust while you drive?

Jerry

19. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I've kept food warm inside the engine compartment several times. Arby's roast beef sandwiches work good, fries not so well.

1980 or so, in El Paso TX. Headed east, road starts at mile marker 873, and I got to mile marker 200 or so in one night, fueled by instant coffee heated in a glass jar on the motor & aforementioned sandwiches at irregular intervals. Oh yeah, and foolishness too.

So, yeah, at least a place to heat some coffee - or are there plans for a microwave oven somewhere?

20. CONGRATULATIONS! :D You win 10 (ten) FREE Internets for most honestly descriptive member name! ;)

21. mmmmmm a pto engine driven rotisserie with the spit rotating near the pipes ..
    one neatly trussed stuffed chicken for each pair of pipes

squeeze bulb horn that squirts basting juices of choice

a pizza /calzone oven was such a obvious hack at your cleverness in parts usage i could not use it openly ..... oops i guess i did...

22. a i also thought the hood latch lock ..like a semi trailers roll up rear door lock/latch

turn 1 lever to lock many spots good luck ... look into a 52 buick hood latch system see how its done

remember food does not stick when oil and food are placed on the heat at the same time

the pipe side hood could hinge at the pipe cut line latch at the top
    the hole cuts should not hit pipes ?????

23. Dapostman

Dapostman

Just remember to pierce the bean tin, before wiring it to the manifold.

24. yonahrr

yonahrr

Bezels

I was playing around with the Greenlee tool and making holes in sheet metal when I came up with some pretty cool bezels for the exhaust pipe holes. I used things in the tool set in ways you're not supposed to and created some neat flanges. I also had a couple of failures. Anyway I still have to figure our exactly how to use the bezels, how to fasten them to the sheet metal and how to get them around the pipes. I'm thinking rivets. I might have to split them in half, but maybe not. Any ideas?

Jerry

Attached Files:

25. hmmm if you really were gonna wrap the exhaust pipes why not these bezels too
    would protect the painted hood and the wrap would/could hide the seam needed to get them in place ?

maybe would look like a exhaust donut held in place with brass rivets to the bottom non moving hood side?

or cut in half so upper and lower meet at the parting seam?

26. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

You can attach the semi-permanent piece and possibly the bezels with neodymium magnets. Amazon has them in all shapes and sizes.

You can just cut one slit in the bottom of each bezel and then twist it on, like a key ring. If you wrap the pipes than the bezels can rest down on the pipes as you fit them, then they magnet in pace from the rear.

Wrapping the pipes - start at the head. Soak the wrap in hot water - dripping wet. Start at the head. Stretch and pull as you go down. The flare/attachment at the muffler will be hard to transition while looking sleek and not getting too many layers on, so suggest ending the wrap just above where the curved downpipes meet the muffler. Its not a bug, its a feature. Do not use hose clamps to secure the ends. Use two or three wraps of safety wire, twist on the back side. The safety wire disappears into the wrap and holds it perfectly forever. Run the motor and let the wrap dry and shrink in place. When thoroughly dry, spray with your favorite header paint - it seals the wrap and prevents it from fuzzing.

Love that shear.

27. Good info~

28. ccbb

ccbb

Must have been inspired by that movie..You're on the right track! - this was hand formed aluminum.
    [​IMG]

29. yonahrr

yonahrr

Hey, how did you get that the pipes out the holes? What about the new Chitty books they're coming out with. The engine from the old Chitty is installed in a VW bus!

Jerry

30. i recently found woven gasket material for wood stove/fireplace doors .. it was woven in sleeves 3/8 to 2 inch dia. or so it is just like the sleeve on older choke stove tubes ... may be this would work on the bezels ????