Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Mines field 1934 road race = l.a. Airport

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CW's40TPU, Mar 23, 2012.

1. flyin-t

flyin-t

Don Small built this tribute car a few years ago. Don owns, or at least he did, the Bell Auto Parts trademark and book on Roy Richter. Pretty sure he's a member on this board.

[​IMG]

2. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Here is a great old, colorful 8-piece, 1934 original poster for the AAA sanctioned race at Mines Field. I had found the folded pieces in a box of old ecords and photos from Cliff Henderson, who was the managing director for the great National Air Races throughout the 1930s, including at L.A. I sold it about a year or two ago. Sure miss it, but not much room to display it, as it was 7 feet high. A $10,000 purse was a huge amount of money during the Depression...

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  3. Fringe

Fringe
    from Sacramento

One of the nicest cars I've seen on this board....awesome

4. flyin-t

flyin-t

Chet lived but was killed in '38 in another crash avoiding a kid that got onto the track. Don't know about the guy riding with him.

5. YES Don did a great job on his 33 roadster, I heard he sold that car and the BELL AUTO PARTS name. Art Bagnall wrote the Roy Richter Book, Art just passed away about 4 weeks ago, he was really a great guy.
    cw.

6. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  7. brady1929

brady1929

wow, cool pics. what a great time to be alive.

8. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

By the looks of it, you would think both would have been crushed. Amazingly, Gardner received only facial cuts and an injured shoulder (and I imagine a concussion). Mechanic John Rae (Roe?) received a broken pelvis.

9. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

10. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

My friend Bill's dad George Barringer in the Boyle Valve Spl Miller 268.
    Sat Quals were 'fogged out' and George (with zero roadcourse experience) 'drew' second place start.
    His luck didn't hold and the Miller threw a rod.
    [​IMG]

Bill in my car a few years ago -
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

LOL... you snag this pic from ebay a year or so ago? It looks like my auction photo.[​IMG]

BTW... the riding mechanic is once again- John Rae.

12. jim galli

jim galli

Now I'm confused (doesn't take much). Was this Miller allowed in a stock car race?

13. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

CW posted the more common GGC program. I've seen two versions of this program. Here's the cover from the other version.

Attached Files:

• GGCa.jpg
      GGCa.jpg
      File size:
      67.7 KB
      Views:
    Stogy likes this.
  14. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Two different races. Stockers in Feb and Champ Cars in Dec.

btw: Gilmore, not sure where the Barringer photo came from-I think it was posted on one of the HAMB Forums a few years ago?

Bill was feeling pretty smug about his dad's roadcourse qual efforts till I informed him of the fog and 'draw' start.:D

15. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

No, different race - same track. The stock car race was held on Feb. 18th, the 'big car' race was held on Dec. 23rd.

EDIT- see Carl beat me to it. ;-)

No worries, if you did. I seen this summary on your photobucket page and figured it came from my ebay auction (my words). ;)

"George Barringer at the 1934 National Championship road race at Mines Field (Los Angeles Municipal Airport). Photo shows George and mechanic John Rae sitting in the #18 Boyle Products / Gilmore Red Lion Special. In the background, a Gilmore gasoline tanker can be seen. Stamped on back of photo is Bruce Craig Photos"

http://media.photobucket.com/image/george%20barringer/carl44s/preww2motorsports/BtjQCQEWkKGrHqEH-D0EvqwClvviBL8bNDf.jpg?o=9

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  16. This is such a great thread!!!! Thanks Craig....

17. Well I'm glad everyone enjoyed this one.
    I have some CRA Track Roadsters photos I've been get'n ready to post next, about 70 pictures in all, most from socal tracks in the 50's.
    Thanks.....cw.

18. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

This is amazing!!!!!!! Thanks to all who've posted pics of this! UNREAL!!

19. Yes, I think these are the best examples of early stock car races. The 34 roadsters are amazing. The paint graphics are fun to look at.

20. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

FWIW- After these stock cars were run at the AAA sanctioned races (Elgin, Mines Field, Legion Ascot, Oakland), they were run at the lesser tracks such as Silvergate Speedway in San Diego.

21. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. KWashburn

KWashburn

23. Just think of what that must have sounded like. All those roaring flatheads and a crowd of 80 thousand going nuts!

24. Amazing thread and pics.

I've only seen a handfull of pictures from the Mines Field road race and even less info on the cars.

The cars were ment to be stock, right? I'd love to hear about the cheating!

25. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I took this pic from Hop Up Volume #5 page 104...if you look at the top of the pic in the background, you can see a new full fendered 1934 Ford roadster in the back room. Supposedly the infield Doctors car was the one that was stripped of its tires/wheels and tie rod.

I wonder if that roadster is the Doctors car?

Attached Files:

26. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

That's from the Eddie Meyer story, right? I'm going to have to pull that issue out and take a look!

27. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

yep...

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

TWO different races, Two Man INDY cars in one and Stock Body Roadsters in anothere. I'm trying to find out what date the races were, same day or different events. Bob:)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  29. The37Kid

The37Kid