Register now to get rid of these ads!

Not another 1932 Sedan build thread !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DeLuxe 32, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Well, it's 'Show and Tell' time... I found this body for sale on Hotrod Hotline as an unfinished project, we were able to agree on a price and I bought it based on the photo's below.

About a year earlier I stumbled across the H.A.M.B as I was trolling the internet and was hooked reading the posts, following the builds and trying to learn a thing or two. I splashed out and bought a set of '35 wire wheels for a 32 Sedan that I would one day own. With the seal of approval from my lovely wife, I now have that 32 Sedan. I signed up as a member and have been making the most of this valuable resource.

BenD (T & A Transport) just picked up the body from the east coast (Pennsylvania) and is on his way to Kenny's (choprods) shop, in Missouri. Whilst this has been happening I've been busy reading posts, asking questions and have acquired a few bits and pieces for the build. Chip (need louvers ?) has been awesome, getting a new 25 row hood for me, which he'll be putting several rows of louvers in the tops. He's also had a rear panel made for me that he'll be louvering the hell out of too.

I've got Eric from Go Cat Speedshop, lined up to build me a 276 8BA Flathead.

I'm going to be running a T5/S10 behind the Flathead with a '40 Banjo rear. As far as the chassis goes, I'm just working out the finer details, but looks like Gary Maxwell from Blackboard Hotrods will be building the chassis for me.

Here's what I'm starting with...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be posting more pics as things progress......stay tuned

Oh and this one will be heading down under - Australia !!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  2. brady1929

brady1929

3. GoCat

GoCat

Cool Sedan! How Much of a Chop?
    (you're gonna have that crazy guy Eric build you a Flathead???)
    ;)
    It'll scoot that '32 down the road just dandy.
    Hey, check out some New Pics and Clips I just added to my 'site.
    Marcus is loading up his '34 Coupe to take it to the Sacramento
    Autorama This coming weekend, he sent me a bunch of new pics
    to post from the GNRS show he won at.

http://www.GoCatSpeedshop.com

--Eric

4. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

keep us posted on the progress with some pics. thanks

5. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

That body already has a heavy chop. What's Kenny going to do to it for you?

6. Deadelvis2000

Deadelvis2000
    from Austin, TX

Congrats Deluxe! It looks like we have the same chop. Although yours
    appears to be done by someone with skills.....unlike mine:)

Attached Files:

7. Fill the roof, front floor, louvred rear panel, steel out the body....and then anything else to get it ready for paint....so it should keep him busy for a while.

Hey thanks, time will tell - I haven't laid eyes on the body yet, that primer might be hiding a multitude of sins - nothing that a bit of hard work can't reverse !!! I was told it had a 3 inch chop, but I have a sneaky suspicion that it might be closer to 4...either way.

8. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

chop looks to be 4-5 inches...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. scotti32

scotti32

Looks like a good starting point. Body look ok. Good luck with it.

10. Here's the rear panel that has been made up, the louvre layout and the final product - should look great on the sedan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  11. Some goodies from Rootlieb.....mmmmmmm.

[​IMG]

Here's the new 25 louver sides

[​IMG]

The hood top layout, and then with louvers punched. I was leaning towards getting 2 rows of 4" louvers on each side, 20 + 10, but decide to go with the 3 rows with a slight inward taper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's how it lines up perfectly with the spacing of the 25 louvers on the sides

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  12. flatoz

flatoz

looks really good and sounds like solid plan for a real nice sedan.

I take is that your bringing this is as 'parts' and not getting a complete car built or a roller sorted before it goes on the boat?

Just asking , as I hope you know - sure you probably do - how hard it is to get a approval to import on a 'hotrod' at the moment. My shipper tells me that a little birdy from the department that approves imports told him they put a red flag up on any car 1932-1940.

Not saying you won't get it in, but if your spending money on that side of the pond you want to make sure you can get it in. and a rolling chassis and body is counted as a car, not parts.

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but if your newish to this I would hate to see your dream burn down due to some shiney bum in Canberra. best to be prepared and knowledgable and not get stuck.

Again sedan and plan sound killer, I'll be watching your build

13. Thanks for the heads up, I've been in contact with Customs and Dept.of Transport and they don't really have much of a clue, they just say - refer to the website. Anyways..I'll be shipping the chassis, engine and transmission all together and then the body and other parts in a seperate shipment. In theory the body is 82 yrs old and the chassis is brand new so there's nothing really connecting to 2 together, VIN #'s etc. But it's better to play it safe, I'll get import approval for everything, it's like $50.

Originally I had plans to import a finished hotrod, but our ridiculous laws prevent that - would have been infinitely cheaper.

14. mr 32

mr 32
    from france

15. Dirty2

Dirty2

Nice start and a great plan !

16. chaddilac

chaddilac

This is gonna be a great build... just curious why you're using so many shops when you could use one and have all the pieces together?

17. CrazyDaddy

CrazyDaddy
    from Austin TX

That hood rules. Nice layout on the top louvers.

18. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I will be following this build. The rear louvers are really nice. We have a local car with the same set up. I hope you don't have any trouble with the Customs dept.
    Lynn

Attached Files:

19. I guess at the start when I first picked up the body, Kenny Baker was recommended by BenD who was shipping the car. Then I started looking around for someone in California to build a chassis to cut down on shipping costs as it too need to end up in LA to be shipped to OZ.

Hey Lynn, Hans' car was where I got the idea from....In an ideal world I'd louvre the roof, so the rear of the car was the next best thing. After all I want to be able to share this with the family.

20. Here's some more progress, the roofs in and the primer's off - hiding some old repairs and new ones needed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  21. Here's an update on the body work, floor and transmission tunnel are in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and so is the louvered rear panel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

atsa nice...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. Albie

Albie

Man I bet your psyched! All that ventilation makes for one super cool rod. Good luck with the build up.

24. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

nice sedan,coming rite along.be a nice project to put together when it all gets home

25. fitzee

fitzee

Oh Ill be watching this.. Mine is a little bit ruffer!! lol. But i know i will see some ideas for mine.. looks cool so far.keep it up

26. brady1929

brady1929

i love the louvers

27. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Hey, Monty
    That rear panel looks slick. You done good.

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn Monty!

I forgot you said you were going to do a build thread about this until I saw it right now. That back panel looks awsome! i didn't realize you were going to post all those photos... Now everybody can see how shitty my little shop is!!! As long as the work is good, right?! Just kidding. The chop looks great, patches great, Can't wait to see this come together. Between Brady 1929, endlessearth, and you there are now three of my decklids or back panels as H.A.M.B. avatars... Thanks!

29. Thanks Hans, but I can't take any of the credit - yours was the inspiration and Chip provided the perspiration.

30. basicbob

basicbob

Monty, you have a very serious looking 32 HOT ROD!!!! Everyone would love to have a sedan when it looks like yours.

Tell us about drive train, wheels, paint etc.

Congrats Bob