Register now to get rid of these ads!

new swap meet in phx, az

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gassersteve, Jan 2, 2012.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

i didn't see you out there Miles... and I looked too!

2. electromet

electromet
    from Tucson, AZ

Bodi,

Which side of Washington did you call home? After I moved down here I thought we were spoiled in the Puget Sound area with good swap meets--Puyallup a couple times a year, Monroe, Portland, and a few others. I thought Phoenix was only fair by comparison. It wasn't a lot larger than the Tucson SIR meet. At least the seed is planted in Phoenix. Maybe we can start to draw from the SoCal and Vegas swappers.

Mike

3. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

I got back home in CA from this one this morning. I will be telling all my friends about this and plan to go back in March, great turnout for the 1st one from a vendor's standpoint. No where to go but up if they play their cards right. Nice grounds and nice staff make for a very happy me.

4. Bruuuce

Bruuuce

Missed the fairgrounds swap. Went to Pomona last weekend, not as much hotrod stuff as I had hoped. Will come down in March and give this one a try.

5. MistGreen50

MistGreen50
    from Belen,NM

I think I may head over from New Mexico and give it a shot,about a 6 hr drive......

6. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

anybody gonna be hitting hte next one? might shoot down from socal to check it out

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Absatively! This is now a won't miss kinda deal for me at least.

8. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

I'll be there with my store. Anyone needing tires, PM me and I can bring em out for that weekend.

9. river1

river1

is this accurate?

i HATE paying to park

i understand costs need to be covered but i HATE paying to park

did i mention i HATE paying to park

later jim

10. d-luxdave

d-luxdave
    from nevada

sin city will be there this weekend , anybody taking any 1940 chevy parts ?

11. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

I have a whole 40 chevy for sale. We'll also have a 4 barrel manifold for a 216 there as well.

12. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Dang, I'm so smart. Just park at Gregg's and walk over.

13. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

When I go to gun shows at the fairgrounds, I park in the McDowell St. lot across from the entrance. There's an old toothless dude who seems to run it ... then I walk in.

14. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I was kinda kidding but....

Don't bitch if this doesn't take off though. Renting the fairgrounds costs money.

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Absolutely! Paying to park drops the price of renting the grounds to the promoter enough to be able to actually put on the event. I have priced the fair grounds rental for an event, and it is staggering. Pay the parking and enjoy the event and maybe it'll stay around for a bit.

16. I'm really sorry Mike, I didn't see this until just now. I'm from NW Washington. The Skagit Country area. Mt. Vernon is the closest big town to my home. Being that far north, we usually hit the Monroe, and occasionally the Puyallup. Sorry again for not replying, don't want you thinking I just snubbed you.

17. Given the quality of the event, and the potential for future growth, I didn't think the $5 parking was that bad, and I'm one cheap dude! I'll be there hanging out, but, I don't have any money to spend after last weeks swap at Glendale..... HA! I guess there's worse problems to have.

18. Ya already got the monthly Glendale CC swap.
    Ya already got the fall & spring VCCA Glendale CC swap.
    Ya already got the monthly Westgate swap.
    Along with a few east valley & Goodguys swaps a few times a year.

You are hard pressed to find a weekend when a swap is NOT being held in Phoenix.

Now this guy from California thinks he is gonna be able to create...
    "Pomona in Arizona".

Phoenix is already overloaded with too many swapmeets with the same local guys hauling the same stuff from swapmeet to swapmeet in the valley every weekend.

Gotta give Todd credit for doing a good job of marketing " Pomona in Arizona " but...
    If he can't get some new "fresh blood" sellers from other areas outside of Phoenix to show up....
    it's just another weekend swapmeet with the same old stuff you saw at the swapmeet last weekend.... & if he recruits sellers from California to show up..... get ready for higher prices on parts across the board.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  19. Spike and I will be there on Saturday to see what kind of trouble we can get into.. It'll be AFTER the sun comes up, though..
    LOL
    Stop by and say "hi"
    Haven't been to any swaps for a while so, WE might have some "new" stuff.

20. electromet

electromet
    from Tucson, AZ

Bodi,

No offense taken. I'm originally from Tacoma, having moved to Tucson in Y2K. I appreciate new venues to shop for parts down here, as Tucson doesn't have nearly as many opportunities. I don't often get up to Phoenix (my truck gets 13 MPG on the freeway on a good day!), but I look forward to some fresh sources, perhaps from SoCal or elsewhere. I'll have to try Glendale someday, too.

Mike

21. d-luxdave

d-luxdave
    from nevada

Anybody taking used truck or car gauges any year Chevy? Also looking for a 47-54 Chevy truck grill guard and radio. Can some one help me out on finding them? don't need to be perfected.

22. d-luxdave

d-luxdave
    from nevada

What else you taking? Do you have any extra parts for the 1940?

23. 28 jalopy

28 jalopy
    from arizona

I'll be there bright and early! the gates open at 5:00 so i'll b leaven the house at 4:00 and haulin ass down the hill. I'll b wearin the grey S.C.T.A. shirt.

24. d-luxdave

d-luxdave
    from nevada

long drive for nothing........

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Wow! I certainly don't share your feelings on that one d-luxdave! I'm getting ready to head back over for this morning as I speak. I was quite pleased with my haul yesterday and there is more to be had today.

26. D-luxdave meet mother trucker.

27. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I should have bought that pile of an Olds... Dammit.

Hey Chip, you still owe me ten bucks, try to talk him down for me!!!:D

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

He still had the pile of Olds there this morning. Bet 200.00 would have turned the trick... Funny story about that booth. When I walked past this morning, there were a couple of guy about 70something talking to the guy that had the booth. I heard one say "if Dutch was here, he'd know which "T" cowl was which". I casually said I know Dutch and saw him yesterday, but I don't think he is back here today... Ya need "T" help? They said, "Ya, but someone your age probably won't know what the "T" cowls fit". I said that one is '17 - '22, that one is late '22 - '25, that one is '22 - 25 closed car. Silence... "We should ask an old guy..." As if on cue, a 70something walks up and says "That one is '17 - '22, that one is a late '22 - '25, that I think is for a coupe, about '23 or so... But I just saw Chip, (Turns and grabs my shoulder) this guy can tell you what's what!" Foiled again...

Still got my parking ticket for this morning if you want to get that olds tub!!!

29. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

Another great swapmeet! Drove in from SO Cal to vend and couldn't have been happier. I'll be telling all my vendor friends to try it. Saturday was rockin, Sunday not so much but still steady trickle of people.

Next one is November 24-25th.

30. [​IMG]

Glad to hear it went well last weekend. I missed it because I was running a show on Saturday in Maricopa and it went well. We did have a few friends there with a space though to promote the Nostalgic Show & GO! this Sunday at Speedworld. Did you see the cool '63 Catalina with the tilt front end? It'll be there this weekend too.
    This Sunday, there will be a parts exchange area at Speedworld and I do not charge extra to set up a space.. It is free with spectator admission.
    I also allow you to lay out some parts in the show or race areas if you enter that. My events are always 'parts friendly' and have been since I started in 1998.

I'll agree that there are a lot of auto related swaps now in Phx but, I try to attend all of them anyway because you just never know what may show up.
    If this promoter has enough $$, he can just outspend and may kill off the little meets. I hope that does not happen. I just like the meets at GCC. I guess because I have been going there for decades and never tire of doing so.

I am planning to display my '65 Tempest AWB Funny Car this weekend. Hoping to have it running later this year.