Register now to get rid of these ads!

383 stroker build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dannyjohn, Mar 23, 2012.

1. dannyjohn

dannyjohn
    from Concord,NC

Greetings Hotrodders. I will be assembling a 350 sbc, 40 over with Eagle 383 stroker kit. Pro Comp aluminum angle plug heads with 220 cc intake 64 cc combustion chambers. Rollers rockers, Lunati 504/525 lift hydraulic flat tappet cam, Wiend tunnel ram with 450 holleys. What kind of horsepower should I expect out of this engine with some fine tuning?

2. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not going to speculate at HP numbers, but will say that building a stroked motor that usually gets it done by making gobs of low RPM torque and only moderate top RPMs, and then putting a high RPM intake setup on it, that it will make less HP than it's potential with a better suited intake.

3. I would say at least 750. Ask anyone who has built one.

4. colorado51

colorado51

Actually, at .040 over it will be a 385.;)

I have almost the same engine, except I am running Dart Iron Eagle heads (200cc runners / 64cc chambers), a larger roller cam, and an old Edelbrock Scorpion intake with a 750 Holley. I also did a little port work on the intake and heads.

I would guess that your setup should make 525hp - 600hp depending on your compression, tuning, carburetion, etc..

5. That's pretty close to my setup in the Henry J, except I have solid flat tappet and Edelbrock intake/heads. I have no dyno results but the seat of the pants makes the front of the pants all tingly like.

6. dannyjohn

dannyjohn
    from Concord,NC

Thanks for all the info guy's. I've built several small blocks from 283's to 350's but I have never stroked one. I appreciate your input.

7. colorado51

colorado51

Also, don’t forget you will probably need to "relieve" the block near the oil pan mounting surface for the rod bolt caps. But you probably already knew that! :D

Have fun! In a light car it will smoke the tires and then pull like a freight train!

8. dannyjohn

dannyjohn
    from Concord,NC

Yes. Thanks Brother. About .050 clearance at the oil pan rail and I'll roll it over to check top of rod stroke at the cam lobes. This motor will be installed in a 55' Chevy 2-door post. Gasser style. Borg Warner Super T-10, 3.73 posi rear with 31 spline axles.