Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1954 Ford "Ranch Wagon" - It's finally a Driver!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Well boys & girls after 9 long years I can say "It's a driver".

A test drive proved everything worked as it should,with the exception of the horn & gas gauge,I think the sending unit is bad,but I can drive the car and it's not a static piece of art anymore!:D

Had it not been for the Hamb the wagon would probably still be rotting away in the barn,,a lot of you guys inspired me with your projects and seeing that even a rough old car could be turned into a nice driver pushed me over the edge.

When I joined the Hamb I had already built several hot rods and had a 32 roadster and my trusty ol 32 mordor,,so cars were nothing new but I was about to dive in head first in shallow water with this project.

I now have immense respect for you guys building mid 50's cars.

It's been a long road,,I've learned so much from the members here and every question I have ask I have received answers.

As most of you know I built this car for my wife,,her grandmother bought it new in '54 and used it in her flower business hauling buckets of flowers filled with water,,time and rust worked on the wagon,,my wife helped her grandmother and learned to drive in this car,,we dated in the wagon,,hauled our children in the wagon until it was parked almost 30 years ago.

So,enough background,,I took these photos yesterday afternoon,,it was cloudy so the color looks a little darker than it actually is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This photo gives you a good idea of what the actual color looks like in the sun, we were on our way to get the exhaust installed.

[​IMG]

And the final photo, the guy in front is my pal Dave who has helped me with this car from the beginning and also did the upholster and the handsome devil to the right is yours truly. :D HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Firedup likes this.
  2. Been a joy watching the rebuild, and of course, the back story is just plain great. Congrats.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. CrazyDaddy

CrazyDaddy
    from Austin TX

Looks great, Danny ! I saw a '52 Ranch Wagon the other day sporting the same colors, and it reminded me of yours.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

looks absolutely great !

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.

5. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Congrats on the long journey. I look forward to seeing pictures of it traveling around america with you and your wife. A 50's car, especially a wagon is meant to be driven.. Plan some routes and get out there.. more miles the better..

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. blackdog49

blackdog49

Nicely done! I like the color.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

Glad to see someone actually finishing a project and in such a short time period (HA HA). Has the Mrs. HRP driven yet, it is hers RIGHT?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

very nice car.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

it looks awesome! my wife says we need one...:)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. MAGNIFICENT!
    AL
    :eek:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. kopperkart

kopperkart
    from Wisconsin

The wagon looks great! I hope you enjoy many miles of fun.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful. Needs videos of burnout please.

Firedup and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. GREAT JOB DANNY, Congrats, I like the 54 tag better. Henry

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

The wagon looks great! Now get to working on the 5 window, no break time.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. That thing is cool!!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. It looks great! I really like those old ranch wagons. Hope to see it around S.C. sometime. Enjoy it.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Very tasteful, sharp wagon. I know what you mean about flower cars, we bought a 72 Ford wagon years ago from a funeral home it was their flower car. Car was mint and low miles but the back end was rusting away from all the flowers I guess spilling water back there. The spare tire well was practically non existent.

Enjoy your wife's new ride.

Don

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Well worth the effort.

19. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Enjoyed the write-ups, pics and most of all the perseverence....it would have been much easier to quit most any time. Looking forward to seeing it in person. Congrats on a job well done!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. What a great looking car, glad to see you are finished with this one. Take a breather, sip some sweet tea or lemonade, and enjoy the ride. I will contacting you with many questions in the future.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. TheLogLady

TheLogLady

Glad you kept at it..So happy for you. A true snazzy looking Ranch ! Drive with pride!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. Really enjoyed watching the progress. Fantastic car. Hope it brings you and the fam endless smiles.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

That so completely and totally rocks. Well done.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Congrats. I hope my Ranch Wagon is as nice as yours is, someday.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. outlaw256

outlaw256

I HATE YOU!!! not really just kinda jealous lol. lookin at yours almost makes me hate mine. i love your wagon. you have done one hell of a job building that car.that car is one of the best examples of a ranch wagon ive ever seen. GREAT JOB. now do you want to build another one?lol

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Looks great and I'm glad to see it driving! What a timeless looking car, 48 years ago or 40 years from now that car would be a stunner.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. cruzr

cruzr

great job.....................makes me want one

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. nice job HRP!!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. The rear fender/trunk lines on a 52-54 Ford are some of the best of any car, from any time period.

And typically, the wagon version of a car detracts from the great lines of a car. With the 52-54 Ranch Wagons however, it's just the opposite. These are some of the best looking wagons ever made.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

While growing up, my dad had one just like that, only it wasn't a wagon, and it had four doors and was black and white. I really liked that car.

Seriously, a great looking car. I always liked the 54's style.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.