Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The 1955-1956 Plymouth and Dodge Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrBelvedere2, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Tikiplymouth

Tikiplymouth

I did a 1990 Dakota frame clip on our '56 Plymouth 2door wagon a few years ago. Made the splice at the firewall was/is a near perfect match. With 2" dropped spindles and 1850# springs('66 chev belair w/ 327) it rides /drives well about 1inch below the original stock height (has a 318LA/904).

2. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

There is a set in the classifieds now for $100 do a search

3. I have a park lens you can have for a 56:)

4. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

NOT TRUE

Plymouth had two V-8's in 1955 based on the dodge engine but truly only Plymouth engines: 241 cid and a 259 cid (called the 260) They never used a Dodge 270 in the Plymouth in 1955.

SintownKing likes this.
  5. Anybody here have a good useable right front fender for a 56 Custom Royal that could be easily attainable in Ontario or Detroit area???

6. VETTE 89

VETTE 89

forgot to mention, it was a hemi

7. Gary S - "Since deciding to go with the stock front suspension, instead of a Dakota clip, the restoration gods are punishing me!"

this is where a heating device - like a torch - can help out......

lwf
    <!-- / message -->

8. Granger Perry

Granger Perry
    from Albany, WI

Already set a pm.

9. Manson

Manson
    from Baden, MD
    1. Maryland HAMBers

SteppinOut you are right- I got a little mixed up on the displacement. I've owned 56's and am familiar with the 277 polys, but my info was a little rusty on the 55's. Sorry for any confusion.

I'm pretty certain that the hemi wasn't something that was factory installed in a '55 plymouth. I have heard of people installing dodge hemi heads on the '55 plymouth motors, since they were based on the dodge poly engines and would bolt right up. It's been a while since I really read up on the subject, but there were a few threads on the forwardlook forum regarding the conversion, and cars that had been listed on Ebay and other websites which had hemi heads claiming to the "factory installed".

10. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

The way those engineers at mother mopar opreated back then, who knows, maybe a few hemi Plymouths did roll down the line as "executive" titled vehicles.

11. Manson

Manson
    from Baden, MD
    1. Maryland HAMBers

It may be a possibility, I'm not old enough to know firsthand but my father told me about quite a few special order cars that had real odd things done at the factory (both he and my grandfather worked as painters for Lustine's and Pohanka Chevrolet from the 50's through the 70's). If you had the money and maybe a little pull with the dealership you could get just about anything done.

12. GaryS

GaryS

When I was selling new Mopars in 1964, we were told by the regional rep to never turn down a special order request. We were to contact him and he would work with the customer. Very few cars were special orders, but it was quite common for trucks.

Speaking of GM special orders...my boss special ordered a Chevy van during the late 70's heyday of custom vans. When he and the dealer checked the boxes on the order sheet they made a mistake and the two-tone brown van was delivered with a blue dash. The factory never questioned it.

13. DELRAY54

DELRAY54

I just picked up this 1956 Dodge Sierra wagon. First on the agenda is to paint the wheels solid orange, put on some wide whites, then repaint the gold either off white or cream.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  14. bigrickl74

bigrickl74

Nice!

15. DELRAY54

DELRAY54

thanks, i've been looking for a wagon for the family awhile now. i know orange isn't for everyone, but i dig it.

16. Squablow

Squablow

The two tone orange and gold is really odd, I wonder if that gold wasn't laid down as a base to do woodgraining over? I've also seen orange and black two tone on a '56 Chevy that looked really good. Needs the wide whites, sounds like you've got the right ideas for it.

17. DELRAY54

DELRAY54

i didn't mind the gold at first in photos, then when i went to see it in person, it has green splatter paint effect on top of it. the interior garnish moldings are green with orange splatters. they'll get reshot too. i can't complain about a little paint work, this wagon is originally from arizona, no way i could find something this solid in ohio. neither color is stock, it was some cheech and chong restoration. i'm going to eliminate as much green as possible, have a look at the interior...

Attached Files:

18. 56budman

56budman

Wow just read this entire site and wow what a bunch of good info,Finally starting my project,had this 56 custom royal lancer since i was 14 I'm 49.No sence in getting in a hurry.Anyone have any good info on front floor pans for 56 dodges/ can't wait to finally put disc brakes on her so she'll stop It's getting 392 hemi with 727 in it,tubbed with 15x12 wheels.Thanks for any info i can get about the floors;) UPDATE I found a cherry floor pan in south dakota and i am in the process of installing it now !!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  19. George

George

Think there's a build thread on a 392 into a '56 @ www.forwardlook.net in the hotrod & modification section.

20. 56budman

56budman

Thanks George I'll check that out:)

21. Cool car none the less.. The cream will help out loads... Black roof cap to give it that tri-tone look may be pretty good too....

22. GaryS

GaryS

Just a couple of observations...

I have discovered the perfect adhesive...decades-old chassis lube! I've disassembled lots of cars, but the front suspension on my '56 is by far the most difficult I've ever experienced. My half-inch impact wrench didn't come close to loosening most of the parts. Even the one-inch I borrowed from a friend had to grunt on most, and a couple required a lot of help from a propane torch.

When everything finally came unscrewed, no solvent in my cabinet had an effect on the inner threads that I couldn't reach with a wire brush. Even after hours of the parts soaking in solvents, the grease grooves had to be scraped out with a metal tool. I finally got the remaining gunk out of the parts by soaking in a mixture of white vinegar and lemon juice for over a week.

The last obstacle is removing the kingpin locks. I didn't see them included in the rebuild kits I've seen advertised, so I hate to drill them out, but I may have to, unless someone has discovered a better method.

23. GaryS

GaryS

I'm trying to mock-up the engine location on my bare frame, and it's proving difficult without parts in hand.

Using the pan and engine block dimensions shown in the Mopar Peformance Chassis book, it looks like a truck rear sump small block will hit the firewall if moved back enough to clear the tie rods, and if a front sump pan is used, the pulley will hit the front crossmember.

Can anyone help me identify which year and model vehicle your small block front and rear sump pans came out of?

24. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

This thread is still going on. That's awesome! I hit a milestone yesterday, I was able to fire mine up after an almost 2 year project. I still need to do the shock mounts and brakes but then it will be time for a test drive. I will take pictures next time I'm in the shop as I forgot my camera. The dual quad 383 sure sounds mean.

25. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

WOW what happened in there? The worst part is someone spent time and money to make it look like that!:eek:

26. Metrobill

Metrobill

Been reading everyone's post to this thread and now that I am signed up, I can comment and maybe add a thing or two from time to time. I am getting ready to redo the brakes on my 1956 Plymouth including new hoses, new brake lines, a dual reservoir master cylinder and disc brakes. Once I get that done, I will get the old girl registered and then start working on the interior...

27. Metrobill

Metrobill

Nice looking 56, MrBelvedere2. I've been reading about all the things you have done to the car and it looks like you are nearing the point of reaping the rewards for all the hard work...

28. 73RR

73RR

Welcome to the wacky world of MotherMopar.

There is always interest in step-by-step photos of projects...hint, hint..;)

29. Metrobill

Metrobill

Here is my 1956 Plymouth Belvedere, a four door sedan, that is in fair condition. It needs brake, upholstery and paint work which I will tackle a little at a time. I plan to paint the car myself so there should be some real amusement available. I plan to keep the 277 engine. I have a P600 manifold and just need to round up some Stromberg carbs (original or repros) to put on the engine. I will probably need to put a new front and rear seal in the transmission as I have seen it drip on occasion after being run for a few minutes.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012