Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone take the roof of a '28/'29 coupe ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 201, Mar 22, 2012.

1. 201

The body I have has a lot of serface rust at the interior joint of the roof to the body sides. Also on the outside of that joint(where the belt line bead overlaps the lower body, there is rust dust falling out every now and then.
    I removed all the 1/4 in. bolts at the seam and found what must of been spot welds every 4 or 5 inches. before I make this any worse than it is, any one recomend away to go?? Don't think you could come down on them with a drill bit.

2. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Take the roof off as in turn it into a coupster or take the roof off as in the process of chopping it?

3. 201

Neither, just want to clean up the metal and get some primer on it

4. F&J

F&J

I've never looked at that part. Would it be possible to get a plasma tip in there, if you can get a friend that has one?

5. 201

That might work, just as long as you dont mess up the lower panel to bad. I might try an air hamer with a notched hammer bit.

6. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Ah, okay! I see what you mean.. I had to read it over a couple more times to get what you were trying to say. So you can't get a drill bit to those spot welds, not even from the bottom? I would imagine if the seat was out of the way then you could drill them out from the bottom.

7. 201

Texasspeed- you hit the nail on the head. Between my half-ass spelling and rough discription, a picture tomorrow would make this alot easier.