Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration custom pinstriping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roosters pinstriping, Mar 21, 2012.

?

Is this good quality work ?

Poll closed Mar 31, 2012.
  1. yes

19.4%
  2. no

80.6%
  1. roosters pinstriping

roosters pinstriping
    from badsville

2. BISHOP

BISHOP

Your signature should never be part of your artwork, should be secondary.

A bunch of bunched up lines dont make it pin striping. Design is the key.

Keep at it and strive to be the best.

3. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I agree with Bishop, but it looks like you're pretty good with a brush otherwise.

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

The tiki head is cool... but the pinstripe lines have no flow whatsoever... they are just kinda all over the place!!

(Click the direct link under each photo, and paste it one at a time in the body of your reply using the little buttom that looks like a yellow square with a mountain/sun in it. then it looks like this...)

[​IMG]

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Since you asked you evidently are looking for true opinions, so here is what I see. The tiki head is actually pretty creative and cool, I like it a lot. The rest of the lines look too fat and too busy for my taste. They just seem to be done for the sake of doing them as opposed to having some purpose. And the name should be very small and in script, I think.

Here are some examples of what I consider good striping. These are lines Skratch laid down on my 23.

Don

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  6. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I also agree with don :eek:

7. i'm gonna hafta go on and tell you that although the tiki guy is kinda cool, the striping is junk.

trust me, there are a ton of people who would pay you a case of beer to put those lines on their car, but other than that... not ready for prime time. there is no flow or symmetry or want for design. its just a bunch of stuff copied side to side.

i'm not trying to be a downer, but as a striper with a mere 9 years under my belt and a student of the masters, i want to encourage you to pursue greatness.

work on line consistency. work on symmetry. develop a style. the WHOLE POINT of pinstriping is to accentuate the lines of the car, not to paint purses, beer bottles, flasks, and other sorts of junk.

i can see the potential in your work, but you've got to put in the work.

dig this page and then get to the link at the bottom of the page to get some more perspective.

http://www.rockyburris.com/Pinstriping_Lessons/Lesson_1_LearningHowToLearn.aspx

dont be discouraged at all, but aspire to greatness!!

8. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

By the looks of your example , it appears that you have limited brush skills. I would suggest picking up some of the many various books on pinstriping that are available and doing some serious studying. There are several drills and exercises in these books that can help you with your control of the brush. Try making some copies of some of the striping examples in the books and then placing them under a sheet of clear plexiglass, then follow the lines . With practice and patience you'll slowly evolve into the striper you want to be . Good luck .

9. roosters pinstriping

roosters pinstriping
    from badsville

Thanks for all the input guys im still working on my style and i am puttung in the time and want to be the best i can be and i will keep at and post a few more pice for more input thanks alot

10. roosters pinstriping

roosters pinstriping
    from badsville

I posted a few more pic of afew more items i striped a while back take a look at the link and let me know what yall think

11. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

You have potential. Keep up the work and keep your chin up.

12. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Check out "onearmbandit" on here . Does great work !! I really like his style, Just did my firewall and will do the body this week if all goes well

Charlie " one arm bandit" Decker

13. I'm not a pin stripper by any means, but I've dabbled in the art stuff before. I think you are trying a little too hard. What I mean by that is your work is a little too busy with all the lines. Make a conscious effort at keeping the design simple with smooth lines and transitions. Don't worry too much about making a second color over the first lines. Just use the original design as a base and accent it slightly with the different color or different style of lines. Also I agree with the previous posts about your signature, make it about 1/8 the size it is now and maybe a little offset from the actual artwork. Remember its about the artwork not your name.

14. SteveClary

SteveClary

Consider spending hours with pencil to paper for developing the art of design. Dissect the essential parts of all pinstripes and create your own terminology. Example: torpedos, hooks, shark tails, fangs, etc. Study the current masters and compare their placement of these essentials. By all means avoid getting into the rut of regurgitating the same designs. This will also get you further down the road.

15. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

While I will tend to echo the previous statements, I don't want you to be discouraged, you DO have potential. The main gripe I have is on your signature. Always sign your work, but try and keep the size of your signature small. Ideally I have heard you should be able to cover your signature with a penny, preferably a dime. The stripes you posted have a new style tribal flavor. Which I appreciate, but i feel sometimes in striping less is more. But keep it up, your headed in the right direction.

16. Comming from someone who has been striping as long as you, I know how challenging it can be at times to get the lines lookin original but similar to styles people like. Keep up the practice and experement with rounded lines as well as sharp lines.

Oh and something that I found to work well is the less is more moto. Always nice to see pinstriping on a car, however its ment to accent it not dominate it.

good luck

17. striper

striper

I've been at it around 10 years. Still regret my screen name on here because I'm not really what I consider a professional striper. I've done a few nice, paid jobs but I mainly work for friends or myself.

A couple of tips from me. If you are using more than 1 colour the lines still need to work together to create one design...not just one on top of the other. Secondly, look at the negative shapes your lines create. They are every bit as important as the lines themelves.

Pete

18. roosters pinstriping

roosters pinstriping
    from badsville

Thanks to everyone who has given some input it just what i need to give me a good push in the right way

19. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

anything new to report? I had picked up the brush a couple years ago and life really got in the way. Hoping to pick it back up one of these days. fingers crossed on that though.

20. The old rule of thumb, was that your signature
    should be small enough to fit under a Dime.

And of course, it should be readable at that size.

21. Study the work of better artists, and how they compose a design.
    Develop brush control, and symmetry.

Then practice, practice, practice.

22. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

You have great potential. Work on design. Study the masters.

23. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

Skratch is one of the.best there is

24. bgaro

bgaro

is there such thing as a full time pinstriper?

25. There is a guy, calls himself "Scarecrow", who used to live in my town. He did it full time and drove a new BMW and his wife had a Lexus SUV. He did pretty well but he was very very good at it. He did alot of big motorcycles, Gold Wings etc. and used to do Indian head dress with feathers and it was awesome. Great oldschool striper also. I was gonna have him do my 29 and he moved to I believe N. Carolina last year sometime. Still looking for someone that good to do mine here in the middle of nowhere.
    I don't think alot of people do it full time but there are a few.

26. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

every pinstriper has their own style, yours is good, but a little busy for my taste.

27. roosters pinstriping

roosters pinstriping
    from badsville

Just been stripin everyday doin a few car shows everyone been pretty happy with work been tippin pretty good so must be gettin better

28. roosters pinstriping

roosters pinstriping
    from badsville

Check me out on facebook under roosterspinstriping i have alot of my new work on there

29. 40sketter

40sketter

i cant do pinstriping at all unless some of you guys want or need a heart monitor due to my shakes...... so i like ur work

30. Old saying goes: Being a good artist is knowing when to quit. Also less is more as already mentioned.
    The first sign of an beginner is what I call the 3 inch pivot. Planting your pinkie and making a 3 inch arc. then doing it over and over.
    Try striping with out planting your pinkie. Look up the work of Tommy the Greek and see how simple it can be.
    Above all, don't give up.