Register now to get rid of these ads!

looking for Willys-overland info..............

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1928 Whippet 96 sedan, May 19, 2008.

1. Alright....I'm all new to the site and have just purchased a 1928 Whippet 96 Sedan. I'm looking for contacts out there that can share there vast knowledge with willys-Overland and the Whippet in General. The car I have purchased has a 20 year old resto, the body is in Fantastic shape and is the main reason I purchased the car, but I still think I will be goning through it again. It has the flat 4 original to the car and I think I will be going original......so were to start? wiring, get engine started? any help directing me in the right direction, good sites and great contacts greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ken
    British Columbia, Canada

Attached Files:

2. montclaire

montclaire

There isn't much out there on early willys stuff, but whippets have a following all of their own. I would look into joining W.O.K.R., do a google.

3. You want to get rid of that rusty old radiator shell as soon as possible- I can give it a good home for shipping cost:D

Seriously, looks like a great start! Since you are going the resto route, you may have more luck finding the parts you need. I agree with montclaire- join the club and then find a way to get to Hershey in October. Plan to be there for a few days at least (it's an amazing event and is THE place to find whatever you need).
    Most of all be patient and persistent in your search. Remember that you're working on something that was built 80 years ago- it's not like going to Autozone (which is an exercise in patience and persistence in itself)!

4. mink

mink
    from CT

can i see a picture of you steering box??

5. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

looks kinda like a 1925-26 Chrysler Sedan

6. Thanks Montclaire, I will be sending my info for membership to W.O.K.R. The whippet is registered with them with the old owner, I have a bunch of Starter mags from late 80's that I have been reading with some good info.

7. Mac the Yankee, What? my rusty old shell, Good one lol.....I will be replacing it, but with a model 98 style I have been looking at, a little different but I like it, I think I will have to redo the original and keep it around for future use, I had it off friday for clean upahs lots of work on it now and needs more, lots of brazing.
    I

8. montclaire

montclaire

Let me know how it goes with the WOKR membership, I found their website but it's not the best. Actually, if they send you a news letter and it has any stuff for a 31 or 32 for sale, let me know and I'll join. Otherwise I really don't care. What year grill are you planning on using? I don't know if they built 98s prior to 31, I don't think they did, but I could be wrong as there is not much info out there on them. What I DO know is that the 98 grill I'm thinking of is a much different animal from the whippet piece. Oh, of you hear of any stuff for a model 97 or 98 for sale, give me a yell, would ya? Same for you, give me a whippet wish list and I'll keep my ears open.
    Roc

9. rodney1931

rodney1931

I was posting some of my 1931 Willys 6 2 dr.. sedan parts and came across your wanted add, have some pics of the parts i am getting rid of on my profile page,
    rodney1931/ might have something u need //

10. prior post to yours was 2008...

11. david_s914

david_s914

Rodney .... sent ya an e-mail !! Im looking for some Whippet pieces !!

12. Weasel

Weasel

If you go to the WOKR website you will find some information on speed equipment for the Whippet engine. The Willy Willy finned aluminum head will raise compression and give you more oomph. A couple of people have done this conversion and the WOKR site's webmaster - Paul Young - has a Whippet. Lots of info to be had.

Here's a shot of a 1933 Model 77 engine - which is pretty much the same as the Whippet L134- with the Willy Willy head....

[​IMG]

13. Weasel

Weasel

Here's the other side....

[​IMG]