Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950-1959 custom interiors... rule of thumb?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Mar 6, 2008.

1. I'm in advanced talks with a local guy to redo the interior in my '51 merc, and at this point I plan to go back to a front bench seat, possibly a stock '51 front seat has been sourced, and remove the entire custom console in my car. That being said, I'm thinking of doing a black or red interior. Any links or comments or anything about accent colors, headliner shots, and stuff like that? I'm looking to do something traditional. I'm thinking not white only because I'm sloppy. :)

2. JEPPA

JEPPA

Red rolls and pleats with black horseshoes. Pipeing in red.

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Most interiors back then (early 50's) were T & R (or R & P) meaning the same thing...most always it was white with colored piping and black carpeting...and/or black R & P with colored piping...in the later 50's a two tone scheme was introduced, staying with the T & R look...and the piping almost always went with the overall color was...

There were no consoles in use at that time...and no buckets either...a bench seat got your girlfriend to sit closer...

Headliners usually used piping on white...or black with colored piping...

R-

4. Check in with John Meyer at Ogden Top and Trim. Their at 6609 w. Ogden Ave. Berwyn. He just finished up a 50-51 Merc convertible with a period correct custom interior. It was absolutely one of the nicest I've seen in a long time. I didnt have a camera when I was there last but he may have photos or be able to put you in contact with the proud owner of the Merc. You need to see this car before you start.

5. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

My preference is white interior. Just seems to look better on a custom, plus if you are keeping teh red paint, the red with black interior might look too muscle car-ish. I had a 51 Merc I painted a deep red, as it already had black tuck and roll and it was tough to not make it look like a Camaro. I still wasnt crazy about it after it was done. Would have loved white interior, or two tone.

6. Thanks guys.

I talked to John he was getting ready to leave for Cobo, but was gracious enough to talk for about 15 minutes. He said he just redid the interior for a few cars at Cobo, including Maybelline. Impressive......

7. I'm dragging this thread up from the depths..

Can anyone give me some ideas and inspiration on how the wind lacing would have looked in a early 50's custom? Would it have been vinyl or cloth.

This is how my interior (1950's 2dr sedan ford) looks now, my planned headliner will be white vinyl tuck and roll with piping in the bow stitches to match the seats and dash.
    What would be the best color and material to have for the wind lacing if you guys would have something to say?

[​IMG]

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

IF the windlacing was changed (cloth wrapped was almost always stock), the lacing would have been the color of the upholstery...in your case -maroon, (or is the interior black? Or brown? I can't tell, my monitor sucks..!!!). White would have "stuck out" too much and would get dirty faster than any other part of the interior.

R-

9. The seats/dashboard are maroon/ox blood red and the door sides are at the moment black, but if I can find the same kind of vinyl used for the seats I will have the door sides in both black and maroon. You don't think the wind-lacing will "stuck out" against the white window panels and headliner?

Also, what kind of door panel garnish is this and were could you find a new set? The small ones or OK but the large ones for the doors have some nasty holes drilled into them..

[​IMG]

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

No, either the black or the maroon will look fine, you've got to make the choice of what you want against the white door moldings, either will work and look fine, unless your upholstery guy can sew white lacing against the door moldings...but that's going to end up costing you more.

I don't understand what you mean by "door panel garnish"...to me those are simply panels, unless of course, you're talking about the "chrome trim," and I have no idea what that is -perhaps pieces of aluminum from a hardware store...!!! Most upholstery supply places now sell a black plastic sheet for panels...they won't warp from water and are easy to cut and trim to shape, either by knife or sanding.

R-

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

When in doubt always go white!

12. 51 mercules

51 mercules

John
    Take a look in my profile. I have an album 51 Merc Barnfind. There are a few pictures of my interior that was done in the mid 50's.

13. By "door panel garnish" I meant the chrome trim. The trim is ribbed like should we say the Brizio bumpers and in stainless with small metal fasteners like staplers. I'll try and get a better picture of the chrome trim.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  14. Here is some pictures of the chrome trim that sits on the door panels. I'm quite sure I have seen this trim on another shoebox before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. kid strange

kid strange

so that is a stock mid 50's interior color combo? and design?

16. fatkoop

fatkoop

In the '50s where I grew up, I remember hot rods and hot-rodded '50s cars as having tuck-n-rolls or rolls-n-pleats, but customs not so much. More than likely, customs had button-tufted nylon frieze interiors, or smooth vinyl with contrasting piping. Some of course, had rolls-n-pleats, but they were usually more performance-oriented than customs. Check early little books, like Customs Illustrated, or Custom Cars.

17. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Mid 50's custom interior.

18. Loafers Glory

Loafers Glory

Pro Stock John...what color is your car? And...do you or have you thought of an interior you would like...not like somebody elses....Your interior guy should want to do your car in a way custom for your ideas and his style. Doing things like anothers already done it holds no charm for me...be personal with your car and be happy....Loafer

19. very dark blue

mercules i've seen your interior, definitely gives me some ideas.

20. Special Ed

Special Ed

Just as a heads-up, consoles and buckets actually WERE used at that time.... Used as early as 1949 that I know of. Maybe not common, but definitely in use then. My car came equipped with them from the factory... :cool:

21. rodl

rodl

Here's what my 55 looks like - it's painted off white with "Ford" Port Wine on the bottom of the fenders, interior of doors and on the dash and garnish mouldings.Vinyl piping between the dash and windscreen garnish mouldings. Cloth (Beige color) not me that's how it was when I bought it. I think it just might have to go once i start putting my 'mark' on it!
    ps bench seats are cool - when you're boogyin' down the highway, with the rock box beltin out some good old Rock a Billy and your missus is sat up close so you can put your arm around her shoulders - doesn't get any better:D I'm 66 by the way!
    RodL

22. rodl

rodl

23. bigbadad

bigbadad

What kind of era would custom (pleated) headliners have been introduced. I'm just starting to plan the interior for my 51 Chevy done as a mid fifties custom and wondering what would be era correct? I'm guessing pleated headliner was more late fifties?

24. 'Mo

'Mo

Custom upholstery was in full bloom by the time-line of your intended build.
    For example, here is the Matranga Merc (circa 1950-?):

[​IMG]

25. bigbadad

bigbadad

Thanks Mo, interesting stuff. Anymore period interior photos?

26. 'Mo

'Mo

Sure, 'Daddy-o. Take a trip over to Rikster's archives, and look around.

http://public.fotki.com/Rikster/

Start with the Ayala cars, then Barris'. ( After that , you're on your own!)

How about this one, by Gaylord?

[​IMG]

27. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

thats a big year range there. there was a lot of different styles between those years. i think you really need to narrow it down even more. for me and this is just me. none of my body mods will be past 1954 and so keeping that in mind ill do the same for the interior. ive studied customs for many years and know when what year a lot of cars were done. so that i know which cars to look at for inspiration. I have many old mags i have studied. i have also spent countless hours on RIKs site.

28. desotot

desotot

some pics of cars I've stitched

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. glassratt

glassratt