Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spraying Epoxy Primer, how clean is the shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959Nomad, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

so i am to the point where i want to start painting a few parts with DP60LF to see how i like the basic color and to get some practice.
    Anyways, I'm just wondering how clean do i need to get my shop to spray it?
    My plan is to eventually be sanding it, using a high build and then finish paint. from the looks of a lot of builds, it seems like some something less than scrubbed floors, plastic around the walls and filtered fresh air can be acceptable for the initial coat of Epoxy primer.
    i would be interested to know if any of you have done it that way and not had a lot of regrets?
    thanks

2. Willy301

Willy301

I have shot High Build stuff with less than ideal cleanliness. It was mostly out of necessity for rust prevention. I have not shot DP60LF specifically, but if it is a thin epoxy, and you are considering running with just it for a while, a good exhaust fan and a clean floor, even slightly wet floor, and some plastic in front of the shelves would be best...The thinner primers I have shot show dirt in even the best conditions...because I don't have a booth. But high build seems to show less dirt in my experience. I have been shooting PPG CR high build epoxy for my project. It comes in a few colors, and have been told it can be tinted to your liking, if you are looking for a specific color on your primer...

3. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

As long as the surface being sprayed is clean and well scuffed ( or blasted ) and you let the room settle have at it. Keep it well ventilated and make sure you let the epoxy have its induction period. We spray about 6 to 8 gallons of epoxy a week at our blasting and body side of the shop.;)

4. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Here's my Bug in my shop after I shot it with DP grey, using an HVLP gun. I covered the rest of it with sheet plastic. Normally I wouldn't use newspaper, but it's what I had. I wet the floor to keep the dust down. It came out real clean.

[​IMG]

5. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

thanks guys for your feedback

6. The most important thing is this. Clean all the holes in the car,ventilation stuff wheres dust can hide. I had cleaned my garage but forget to clean the car so a lot of dust came from everywhere:)

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

When spraying DP, the area does not have to be surgically clean...I've sprayed it with bondo dust on the floor and dragged the hose thru it...just make sure the area you are spraying is clean... besides, you're going to put a primer over the top of it anyway...that'll take care of covering the bugs that fly into it...:eek: :eek:

Make sure you wear a respirator tho...it's not good to breathe it.

R-

8. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Doesn't matter, you're going to need to sand the primer anyway to paint over it.

9. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I sprayed epoxy primer outside. With dirt on the ground, lol.

And 40StudeDude is right, wear a respirator. It is nasty stuff.

10. Don't forget to watch for the epoxy overspray sticking to whatever else is in the shop.

11. racer32

racer32

When I used to paint boats we wiped the hull down with thinner and went to town with the epoxy primer. Outside. In a dirt/gravel lot.

12. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks again, i have read the warning on the paint and have the 3M respirator mask.
    Gasolinedeniz, good point on cleaning areas where dust could be blown out of while painting. I'm thinking a good blast with compressed air first would do the trick

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, spend a bit of time with the shop vac getting the dust out of the crevices and other places that dust and dirt can hid on the car. I learned that lesson the hard way on my first paint job.

14. grabrr

grabrr

I love PPG DP primers, they are like gold around here these days with all the enviromental laws. But I have a stash.

15. richie rebel

richie rebel

you can shoot it outside,on a nice calm day

16. Most of the dirt that gets in paint was on the car to begin with so a good clean up is a must. Also spraying paint creates static electricity which attracts dust, a ground wire connected to what your painting will help keep this to a minimum.

17. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

this all sounds good.
    maybe a follow up question would be "How do you get rid of all the dust from paint ans rust removal, weld grinding, etc?".
    I have never had this big of a mess. any tips on what worked?

18. I use a shop vacuum with a drywall filter bag, and then if weather permits I just wash the floor with a hose and a broom.

19. BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

Do you own a leaf blower? These things work great at cleaning the shop after all the messy stuff is done and you are ready to shoot primer, just open the door and fire it up, my kid thought the shop was on fire when I did mine, works better than the air hose and is a lot faster too..... Scott

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

Lucky Bastard !!

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

Best shop clean up device ever invented!:D

22. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

did you get it from "Carl" the grounds keeper in Caddy Shack? actually i do have one, ("so I've got that going for me") and i can see where that would do it. thanks for the tip. "

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  23. tigermorser

tigermorser
    from Cochrane

good lil trick is too , sweep the floor up nice , cover everything u can with cheap sheets u can get at a sally ann etc... and to take a watering can and slightly wet the floor so u get no puddles easiest way to spray something at home in the garage and if u can get a cheap box fan and place at the door or a window to vent it outside , ps dont aim fan at neighbors car.. lol anyways my 3 cents

24. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

well i used the leaf blower and the shop us now the cleanest if has been in some time.
    to help take it out to the back yard I propped the main door and placed a large fan in the window in the back. other than having the feeling that at any point Jeff Foxworthy was at any point would walk up and say "If you use a leaf blower to clean your shop, you might be a ..."
    hopefully i can get to spraying sometime soon.

25. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

it was not as soon as planned, but the first round of primer finally got sprayed

Attached Files:

26. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Since most times I will be blocking the epoxy, I cut the pressure. I usually spray with about 20 psi. You waste very little with a HVLP gun and 20 psi. That also means little mess is made. If I'm spraying the epoxy cut and as a sealer, I spray with typical top coat pressures.

27. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

thank for the suggestion, i can see if that helps

28. I paint EVERYTHING outside. Pick a nice day with low humidity and avoid bright sunlight, not so important with primer as with a top coat. So the bushes get a little overspray on 'em...

Bob

29. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As stated above, the shop does not have to be super clean, but what is very important is personal protection when shooting DP epoxy (or any modern 2 part paint/primer) inside. That means full body (skin) covering, including eyes, and a fresh air breathing system, not just a typical respirator. Better safe than sorry. :)

30. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Respirator is fine for epoxy, no isos. +1 on fresh air breathing system for anything that is urethane or AE and hardener. The isos aren't filtered. Clears are the worst.