Register now to get rid of these ads!

FE Ford engine automatic to stick conversion question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adam401, Mar 21, 2012.

1. adam401

adam401

I want to put an FE Ford engine in my 34 Ford. I can get a nice 352 from a galaxy but its bolted to an auto trans. Will I run into any trouble converting it to stick shift like maybe no provision for a pilot bushing at the crank etc??? I don't want to buy an engine I cant use. Thanks, Adam

2. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Easiest way, is to check a Ford interchangeability book at a local wrecking yard,..or just as good, find someone who has "been-there, done-that".

4TTRUK

3. All F E cranks will take a bushing, no problem. The converter stub is the same size as the od of the bushing.
    The Wizzard

4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner:D

5. boutlaw

boutlaw

My 390 was a truck block and it had a pilot bushing that fit a manual trans. In fact, I used a T-5 behind the 390 and did not have to change the pilot bushing. Don't know if the FE's used for auto trans use a different pilot. I do know that if you go manual and use a hydraulic clutch linkage, I would suggest NOT using a Borg & Beck (3-finger) pressure plate. Use a diaphragm style pressure plate. The force required of the slave cylinder to activate the B&B was extreme. Changing the PP in mine made all the difference in the clutch operation. Also, I hope you don't have big feet. Not a lot of room for 3 pedals if the firewall is recessed. Good Luck

BOutlaw

6. Fighter-of-Wars

Fighter-of-Wars

When I converted my 352 from a crusomatic to a 5 spd it wasn't all the hard. The previous engine the 5 spd had was a 330 m/d and I just pulled the flywheel, bellhousing, starter, and other misc and ordered new clutch, pressure plate, pilot, throw-out for the application the 5 spd was in and it all bolted together fine. I haven't installed it so it hasn't been tested yet. But I broke the engine in with it all hooked up and nothing broke so that's a step in the right direction.

What kind of trans are you looking at?