Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John F

John F

Yep, railroad over pass made 100 years ago! Happens a lot!

2. John F

John F

I too was going to make a smart-ass remark about that post, but since I was 3 or 4 pages back, I figured I'd wait till the end. Glad I did!

3. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah JIMI,--seeing those old pix brings back many memories!!---Having just some bread with a little sugar & milk, while staying with grandparents in 1936----Was at least SOMETHING to eat!!

4. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

5. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

6. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

7. swi66

swi66

8. swi66

swi66

9. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Colorado Springs
    [​IMG]
    Austin Texas, The Jet Drive In
    [​IMG]

10. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Glendale NH
    [​IMG]
    Idaho Falls

11. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

They were issued for one year. We went to the court house the night before and set up all night waiting for them to open the doors. My brother and I both ran milk routes in the morning so he left at 5:00AM to go do his route(HOMES) and then after I got the plates he helped me run the commercial route. I've still got my plate but his has been lost.

12. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Welcome to the hamb, but you forgot to introduce yourself, :eek:
    go here:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18

13. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Right on, Deuce. ;) Grannies had a unique talent for making something special out of just what was available. For a snack, we'd grab a slice of her cornbread (she baked at least two pones every monring) and crumble it up in a glass of buttermilk. You ever do that? I'll bet you did!

My granny would get up early every morning (grandad was already out weeding the strawberry or melon patches, 'cause the first ray of sun woke him up & he wanted to get serious work done before the sun got high), and she'd start by unwrapping some slab bacon from that old-fashioned brown butcher's paper. The smell of the hand-cut bacon in the pan would just JERK you out of bed:eek: and into her kitchen.:eek: She'd mix up REAL scratch biscuits & grease a black iron skillet or pan. She'd gather some fresh eggs from the hen house and scrambled 'em up.

I never tasted a better breakfast, and if she whomped up some pan gravy too, well shit! My granny was pretty strict with kids (that could get you hauled in to CPS nowadays!:mad:). But her hugs were precious:) -- probably the only thing better than getting jerked out of a dead sleep by that slab bacon frying! LOL:D

14. Carguy48

Carguy48

15. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

Truth! I remember going up north to my grandparent's farm during the summer. They grew up in the depression and learned how to make do with whatever. A hog sold would buy shoes for school for my mom and aunt and uncles. Well into the 50s, grandma used an old stripped out model A to haul milk to the creamery down the road. Grandpa had a dairy farm with 80 cows in the 60s. It was a wonderful place to be a kid on that gravel road. I learned to drive an old 9N tractor and operate the bailer when I was 11. I drank cold milk out of the fridge that was freshly milked that morning. Went "potty" in an outhouse because they didn't get indoor plumbing for a toilet until 1964. Grandpas sons all had bigger farms and newer equipment, but it was still awesome to see grandpa start up the old Rumley Oil Pull tractor. It was a huge dark green beast that was scary and fascinating at the same time. Miss those days. Grandpa ate (and me too) home made bread smeared with lard and sprinkled with sugar which was a depression era treat. As a small boy, I milked cows, dug potatoes, bailed hay, fed the livestock, beheaded and plucked chickens for grandma to fry, and swam naked in the creek. Found out that hard work won't kill ya. The farm was 200 miles away from my house...how did I get there? Took the train by myself. Dad worked on the Milwaukee Road and we had a pass for free train rides. Grandpa would pick me up in Babcock, and if he was a bit late, I was to go to the Sportsman's Bar and wait while the bartender would bring me soda and chips at the little table near the door. Would you put your kids on a train or plane by themselves and have them wait in a bar? Not likely. Different times these! Kids today won't do any of that stuff today. They would rather text the person standing right next to them complaining there is nothing to do.

16. Norwegian 49 Mercury

Norwegian 49 Mercury
    from Norway

Did these Mercs have twotone paintjob from the factory, or is this a repainted one?

Anybody with a good answer?

[​IMG]

17. wrench409

wrench409
    Member Emeritus
    from Here

I'd swear I saw a blue Buick parked here t'other day!

18. [​IMG]

Yeah... what's the deal on the plates???:eek:

19. pipopak

pipopak
    BANNED
    from florida

The good old times!. Sorely missed here too.

20. Sorry, I was the 'culprit' for posting the photo of the depression couple, but as its bought back memories for some of you I guess it has turned out OK in the end. There was no intention to be nasty with the posting of that photo, I just saw it as an interesting picture of days gone by, one which our country (New Zealand) also suffered.I could rummage though our family photos and see the same thing and get a laugh, :D :D

21. scrubba

scrubba

Woody, I didn't take offense with the Dirt poor farmers . Hell, I too had relatives in three places , Western Virginia , West Virginia and North Carolina who worked the coal mines , grew tobacco and turned out jus fine I might add. They taught me the art of Ford Flat head rebuilding as we all built cars at one time or another for the "Shiners ". I learned how to litterly make parts for cars that non existed for . I taught myself years later fiberglass molds as I went into business for myself making Custom Van parts . I teach my own kids to do for them selves . Sure , they have the Electronic gadgets. I taught my self more or less how to use this piece of a computer .

My point, simple . The truth is da truth . Truth ain't gonna hurt ya . Lies do . scrubba

22. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Yes that is a factory offered paint style, I believe it was much more common on the monterey mercs than any others. Jim

23. Mr Mayo

Mr Mayo
    from Huff, ND

"Damn! Everyone else gets barbecue and steaks, and all I get for lunch is PEANUTS!"

24. ok this 56 ford isnt in the u.s. judging by its plates what i want to know is this a different model then was availible in the u.s. ?

i haven't seen one with this chrome trim orin the paint scheme enquiring minds want to know please

25. 55bird

55bird
    from Spokane WA

You did and so did I. The old black Volvo is back, there by the trailer.

26. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

See, I told you it would come out right here,, :D

27. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

28. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep!---Also you probably remember cutting kindling the day before, so Granny could fire up that ol' woodstove to cook that good bacon!!

29. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, you said it!!!----Guess you must be 80 also!!

30. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Well I"m not 80 But you just described my grandparents on both sides right into the early 70s here in North Eastern Ct.!My Maternal grand parents built their house as they could afford to with no mortgage on the house or the land. Gramps would drive out to their farm land every day to tend to the animals and put in whatever time he and gram could building the barn and house he would then bring Gram back into town to their apartment and go to his "Payin "job.I think the minute that the house was "closed up" gram insisted they move in!She was the most loving and gentlest and Toughest old bird I ever met! A lot of Grams home cooking was done right on the stove top greases with a piece of pig skin and that stove top shined like a mile deep black laquer paint job!She never would give up her huge wood and gas range and preferred to cook with wood right up the year she passed in the early 80s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.