Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does anyone have pics of Frank Derosa red '40 merc circa '95

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by REVEREND JAKE, Sep 9, 2004.

1. I only have a small pic in the Sept 1995 issue of Custom Rodder. I tried to find it via search engine with no luck. Anyone have pics of it or know where I can find it?

Any help is appreciated,
    Reverend Jake

2. BTTT.

It's a wicked chopped carson topped dark red '40 merc. Sombreros, HUGE headlites, molded front bumper (painted with chrome bullets).

Rev. Jake

3. Mutt

Mutt

4. Mutt

Mutt

rear - from Carnut.com

5. THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! I've looked quite a few places on the net and couldn't find anything. Has that car ever been published? I mean like a full spread.

Thanks MUTT. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Reverend Jake

6. Mutt

Mutt

Anything for a man of the cloth! [​IMG]

I just Googled "Custom '40 merc" and got a lot of hits - carnut was the first I tried, and it was the first '40 Merc. coupe listed.

Mutt

7. What are those headlites out of??? I've seen some of those on a light green metallic 49-51 merc in recent months. I think they're kool.

That looks like Missouri tags. Do any of you MO boys know anything about this car?

Reverend Jake

8. Mutt

Mutt

They look like Mercedes Benz to me.

Mutt

9. lownrusty

lownrusty

Yeah they are mercedes lights I saw it in their shop when they were building it I think (bigrichie ) has some build pics of that one?

10. You see, this is why I LOVE THIS PLACE! You can ask a legitimate question and get great input. I have wondered about that car for, well, nine years. Mutt, I guess my searching was actually too specific. I would always type Frank DeRosa or something of the like.

Lownrusty, Would bigrichie have pics of the '40 or the green merc?

Thanks guys.

Reverend Jake

11. mikes51

mikes51

Here's a pic I took at the Oakland Coliseum. Frank Derosa was builder of the year and had a large collection of cars on display. You can really see that excellent slope of the roof in this shot. Also appears to be Calif personalized plates in photo (DEROSA2), before the car found it's new home in Missouri.

12. I wonder where in Missouri it went to? I'd really like to see that thing in real life. Is the interior as kustom as the outside?

Reverend Jake

13. DEROSAGIRL

DEROSAGIRL

Call My Brother Frank DeRosa Jr. at shop; 925/439-5115 Pittsburg Ca

14. I hope my roof looks that good when I get done chopping mine. Great pics and more ideas for mine.

15. Wow!!! I posted this over a year ago. I think I will have to give Frank Jr. a call.

I have been crazy about that car since the first time I saw it. The Mercedes headlights look perfect in that car.

DEROSAGIRL, Thank you for replying to this thread.

Reverend Jake

16. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Rev,
    I don't think this one ever made it to the "mainstream" magazines in the USA.
    It was too early for Custom Rodder and too custom for Street Rodder, and everyone else.

I'm not positive about Street Rodder, though. I wasn't a regular reader of SR when this car was new. But I did look through every car magazine at the time trying to find a spread.

Frank DeRosa and Son's cars have always been on the edge stylistically. Often over the edge for some editors.

Personally, I love 'em precisely because DeRosa has never been a follower of fashion. He cuts his own path.

17. jbamscarlett

jbamscarlett

Hi, We have recently purchased the 1940 Merc you guys are all talking about. It now lives in Levin, New Zealand. It was sitting in Branson Auto Museum when we found her, and we fell in love with her straight away. We will post some photos soon.:p:)

18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The headlights are from a Mercedes 300 or 220SE from the early sixties. Only fuel injection sedans got them, lesser cars got round seal beams. I have a set in the barn.

19. jbamscarlett

jbamscarlett

Hi, the head lights are 1970-1971 Mercedes.

20. Very cool buy. I think the front end is top notch!