Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBF front dress brackets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikemo, Mar 19, 2012.

1. mikemo

mikemo

I'm working on a 36' Ford pu with a sbf and need ideas for front brackets for alt, ps, and ac cond., something compact that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Thx.

2. mikemo

mikemo

3. Cerberus

Cerberus

I noticed in your User Profile you currently have ten classic/modern Fords. Surely you know your options. If you are after billet, try cvfracing.com. If you are after chrome or steel, try the Mstg vendors. I've been lucky with eBay getting new and used brackets.

4. mikemo

mikemo

Cerberus, I seldom ask questions that I know the answer to. I'm trying to avoid the billet option and the Mustang set ups I've found to be to wide for my application (only 24.5 inches). I'm looking for options, and I do appreciate your suggestions.

5. Willy301

Willy301

Well Mike, all I can say is a lot depends on exactly what you have to work with. Your shooting for a very narrow install, on items that can be pretty large on their own. There are compact units available for most, but things like the air cond compressor, I have been researching A/C for a project I am working on, and the car/engine pretty much determine what compressor you need to cool it, and most of the factory compressors have very specific mounts to accomodate for a very specific weakness or an intregal need for the compressor. Some Fords had the behemouth aluminum platform for some compressors to actually absorb vibration from the pump. Also to help isolate it from engine heat.

As far at the PS and ALT. I have always had to cut custom brackets to make them sit closer in to the engine, and they also can succumb to engine heat. So do you have any fab skills? Even if limited, as long as you can cut and weld, you should be able to alter existing brackets to suit your need. I would also consider some thin aluminum sheets to make some heat shields for some of the accessories.... Hope this helps...

6. Cerberus

Cerberus

Mikemo, I appreciate your challange. I had only 24" to work with a 5.0 sbf. I converted from serpintine to vee belts with ps. Had to fabricate spacers, brackets, assorted pulleys to get it aligned, and numerous belts. Pulled some hair out figuring it all out. Third pic I'm in the middle of installing Rebel Wire. Also, installed Pertronix dizzy. No end to this crazyness.

Attached Files:

7. 12123k

Check out a ''96-01 explorer, shortest of all waterpumps, and only 1 serpentine belt. You can put a regular dist. in it but will need to do minor clearancing of the bracket if you use the ford dist. with the module stuck on the side. PM me if you want a picture...

8. metalman

metalman

Been thru this same problem lately with a SBF in a 32. Seems all bracket kits are billet and include waterpump/ timing cover ect and a $$$. The Explorer pump mentioned above is short but the brackets are way too wide to be helpful. I used the Explorer water pump and pulley but fabbed all the brackets. Took a bit of work but at least I didn't have to pony up $1500 for a billet kit. I was able to mount the A/C compressor down low on the right, kept the top of the motor a lot less cluttered. Down side is it is a serpentine belt if you want more of a traditional look, I opted to use it so I could use the short water pump.
    DSC_0131.JPG

9. derbydad276

derbydad276

look into marine application they used windsor motors in in I.O. boat engines and in ski boats

10. mikemo

mikemo

Hey y'all, thanks for all the options. Metalman, that's what I'm talkin' about, unfortunately I don't have the skills to pull that off.

11. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Thought I was unique in mounting the compressor in that position. Good work.
    [​IMG]

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

You might want to look in a early 70s van since that motor compartment is tight,there is a 68 or 69 van in a local junkyard that I think has a/c and p/s but I think it has the 3 bolt balancer and lower hose on the pass side. I think the 4 bolt balancer came to be in 70 so a 70 to 74 van would work and maybe the 75 and up.

13. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

For after market steel brackets at a reasonable price check out Alan Grove Components.

14. Larjk9

Larjk9

I've seen alternators set up under the car and run off the drive shaft. Always wondered what was the point. That would certainly get rid of one bracket. As far as practicality goes not so much.

15. mikemo

mikemo

junkyardjeff, I hadn't considered the 70's van, that might be the way to go....Unfortunately, Alan Grove doesn't have much for sbf.

16. willymakeit

willymakeit

This thread came along at the right time. Im deciding on brackets and pully's for my 56 F100.
    Are the Ford pulley's standard? I would like indivdual belts, but I dont want to change everything should I put a cent. supercharger on later.

17. Don't know if this will help much or not, but I had a similar problem on a 351w. Didn't want the compressor on top. I knew there was plenty of room low on the pass side, but of course nobody makes those for a SB Ford. Only SBCvy's. Another hurdle on Fords is the dizzying array of pulley combinations. I found these on an 351w/86 F-250.
    These pictures are incomplete but show what I ended up making. 1/4" steel, wasn't too hard at all. (3 bolts in the head and 2 down low and into the block) I'll have to take a couple more pix of it all put together. The compressor is stationary and mounts on the two threaded spacers at the bottom. There's another brace at the front that goes up to the water pump bolts. The belt tightens via the alternator and pivots off that larger threaded spacer that's up higher. ( I realize I have more room than an early car, but it's still pretty tight to the engine and MIGHT work on a narrower rod frame. I think this frame is 33") The way this turned out, you could move the compressor and alternator to the rear just a little, but I was so ready to move on, I left it there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012