Register now to get rid of these ads!

Having Hot Rod seating issues?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Metaltwister, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Hey guys I started a new Social group for Hot Rod seating Issues, Questions, Solutions, etc. I'm hoping that anything hot rod seat related can be discussed here and not just our stuff! So Ive posted up some threads for model a van seat conversions ect. If ya have a favorite seat thread post it up so we all can find it easily and use it.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=742

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. F&J

F&J

I did not want a tractor seat or whatever..... I used a 31 Cad V-12 seat.....Aaahhh. :)

3. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Sweet... Any pics? :)

4. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

I recently bought the Speedway Seat frames which are pretty decent and saved me a few weekends of build time. Curious if anyone has used their low back Black VInyl seats which are pretty cost effective and the pictures look pretty good.

5. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

My friends had a good laugh when I tried out the Speedway Bomber seats... I sat down in one - snug & comfortable... When I went to get up - the demo seat came up with me - literally... I was in a half setting half standing position with folks laughing and not helping me remove it... My friends, they helped the laughing crowd... I made the decision to go with a bench seat!

6. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

I have some pretty good Fiero seats which fit well in the 36 but looked at some bench seats and the they are pretty pricey if you go with a name brand or have to pay someone to build one and cover it. My back would not take the Bomber seats even if I fit. Someone else was looking at their cheapo fiberglass dune buggy seats a few weeks ago which are even worse. Had those type in a Austin Healey when I was 18 and never could keep them bolted in place.

7. This is the back seat out of a Suzuki Samurai in my 23 Dodge.

Attached Files:

• 88.JPG
      88.JPG
      File size:
      378.4 KB
      Views:
  8. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

Heres my A bone with a caravan middle seat cut down as much as possible. I had an 8 inch channel but after installing the seat I had to raise the body two inches so I could see out of a 5 inch chopped windshield. I plan to recover it with old looking leather and get rid of the pattern it came with. Fit the car well and went in easy. Oh, and it was $20
    [​IMG]

9. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

10. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I used a Camaro rear seat back for the back of mine, and Tractor supply bottoms bolted directly to the floor. I sit plenty down in the car. I took this pic after I upholstered the back of the seat and the passenger bottom with a swap meet score misc. upholstery set. right before I upholstered the driver side base.
    [​IMG]

11. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Interesting seat project. I'm anxious to see where it goes from here... I love unique twists in these projects. Keep the pics coming and thanks for joining the group! Others may follow your ideas there...:D

12. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

I used four Speedway black low-back seats with their frames in my 51 Ford convertible. Took a little fabrication, but the seats are very comfortable.

13. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

So are there any adjustments on their seats or did you build some in? Thinking seat sliders mainly?

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a sheet of plywood with 4 inches of foam for the seat and lean back in my T bucket and that was the most uncomfortable seat in any rig I ever owned. After a 20 mile trip it took my butt an hour to recover.

Bobby Russel of Waco redid the stock seat in my 48 in 1973 just before I headed to the Street Rod Nationals in Tulsa and I think that seat was probably as comfortable as any seat in any vehicle I have ever owned. Real roll and pleats and extra foam made a great looking and comfortable seat that I did a lot of long days on until I wore it out years later.

15. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

Bought their frame and slider set up, too, then fabbed up mounts to the floor. Took a little more work for the back seats, but wasn't rocket science. Like I said, they are very comfortable, and I like the style.

16. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

It's funny how when building the project the guys are anxious just to get the car on the road and by that time they have spent the budget on getting to that point. So they typically throw something in that is affordable and easy just to get it on the road. After they save up and drive it for a year or two the seating issue jumps way up on the priority list of things to upgrade. Specially if Mama starts complaining! LOL

17. reekie6

reekie6

I am 6'3" and I am building a 29 Closed cab Model A pickup. I am not sure I am going to fit lol. any good thin seat idea's. I do plan to drive it when done so comfort is key.

18. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Hummmm, Its going to be a tight fit no matter what ya do. The higher the seat the more leg room you will have. Ive extended a few cabs on those A thru 34 trucks. Short of ultra thin seats, keeping the butt off the floor, and possibly a serious body modification (Truck Body, not your)) LOL I don't know of any other options.

This is the kind of stuff Id like to discuss and document on the new Social Group. We need a place that we can go to and get these answers and see what others have done to work through these issues.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=742

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  19. reekie6

reekie6

when I get to that part of the build I will post what I find to work. thanks

20. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

In T buckets we always use stock T seat cushion springs available new from Car-Line Mfg in Beaumont TX 409-833-9757 or Snyder's Antique Auto Parts in New Springfield OH. With a 3-5" seat rider board at the front and the rear either on the floor or on blocks of your thickness choice for comfort, these springs upholstered and padded work great as a nice comfortable seat. Mount the springs to a 5/8" or 3/4" base board and don't forget to cut 3-5 2"or3" holes in it to prevent upholstery blowout.

You can use the factory T back rest spring but we have found it is comfortable to make up a foam padded back rest with a good lumbar "bump" and everything is great.
    We usually make a one-piece upholstery insert with 1/4" plywood that slips into the body and is easily removeable.

21. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

22. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

I have been searching for quite awhile for an original front seat for my 37 Ford coupe with no luck. The ones I have found were to far to drive to and way to expensive to ship. Does anyone know of a seat that will bolt in with minor modifications? I heard maybe an S-10 bench or possibly a 3rd row seat from a van or SUV. Trying to find one to recover and make it look like it belongs. The few wrecking yards that are near have not been much help. Any suggestions appreciated.

23. maybelene

maybelene

Just put a seat in my '35 international and found a third seat out of a 90's suburban. It's the seat that sits between the fenderwells and it had seat belt provisions attached. About 48 inches wide but no adjustment mechanism. Had to raise the front about 3 inches to make it comfortable.

24. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

If you can maybe post this up here http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/g...hp?groupid=742 with a few pics?

25. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Maybelene could you post a pic of your seat installed. I planned on using the same seat in my 32 terraplane coupe butwith a trial fit it seems like I may sit to high for visiability. My coupe is chopped and channeled. With your seat leaned back you must have gained head room and line of sight through the windshield ?/

26. opu27

opu27
    from ONYX,CALIF

27 roadster bottom seat, 3/4 plywood, 1" rebond, 1" med foam, 1/2" roll and pleates to soft? to hard? what do you think? thanks guys. :confused:

27. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Hey everyone, Jim here! Had an auto trim shop back in the eighties, these days I do whatever to get by. Building a 52 chevy 2 dr sedan. I chopped the top 2.5" and am doing several other custom touches. I will be using the stock seat frame but will modify it to fit my big butt.
    Metaltwister you bring up a good point, "ass pad". People dont realize how important the seat base is when it comes to comfort. Im a big guy, 6'6" 300lbs and yes my ass is hard on seat cushions!!! A good seat base must be firm but have plenty of support. :cool:

This is the kind of stuff you will find in the group...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/g...hp?groupid=742

28. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

The caravan center seat works well in a '40 pickup... I got a "looks like new" one for $300... Working on the mounts at this time...and will send pics.

4TTRUK

29. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus