Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Dust Bowl Special"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bugsy, Mar 16, 2012.

1. This is so cool!
    I love how raw and basic it is,
    that's what makes it awesome!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Rusty1....thanks! Here's a link to a story about "Ole' Yeller", my 56 F-6 dump truck. It's a good one and has paid for itself a million times over!!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=675374

On another note....
    I'll try to get a decent video of the Dust Bowl Spl. in the next day or so. I'm working on a seat and floorboards right now.

3. NoSurf

NoSurf

HAHA!!!!!

Whaaaaahhh HOOOOOOOOO!!!

I can't wait to see it in person. Great job man!

4. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Thanks, Jay!! Like I said before, thanks for all your support and efforts to keep me motivated and focused (as focused as I can be anyway!!) Looking forward to bringing it to the BBQ.

5. Sam1950

Sam1950

That thing is RAD! You should be proud!

6. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I love that primitive jalopy Jason----good job

7. 2muchstuff

2muchstuff
    from Eastern KS

Jason,

Glad to see you've got one going. That's a sweet T body. Are you driving it over to Jay's next month for the BBQ? It would be a good road trip.

8. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Very cool. neat little car.

9. NoSurf

NoSurf

10. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool Car and build . It looks like too much fun.

11. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Sweet! Exactly what I have been invisioning to do with my A Chassis. Looking forward to seeing it with a little bit of a rake and chopped windshield.

12. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Thank you all for the nice compliments. It's nice to get feedback when you've been the only one that's been looking at it and working on it for so long.

Chris, I plan on running it out to Jay's BBQ and I agree, that would be a good, run for it!

Jay...Man...That video was supposed to be confidential!! It's REALLY bad!!! I'll never make it in Hollywood!!

13. NoSurf

NoSurf

Oh come on- it rules! Love the sounds. There is nothing like the video of the first run, always puts a smile on everyone's face.

14. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Haha.. there's nothing wrong with that video at all! What a neat little Roadster

15. Man, I really love it! Seriously, that's just awesome!!

16. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Thanks, Saxman!

I'll post some pics of the floorboards and lighting this next week.

17. DJ Bill

DJ Bill

And you kept the mechanical brakes! WOW! Man that is just what I would have built as a teenage in the early 70's if I could have found a roadster.. Instead I had a Doodlebug made from a AA truck with a solidly mounted rear. I could do parking brake turns all day as the front brakes were not hooked up, just the back ones. The neighbors probably thought I was nuts as every time it froze out I'd be out doin' donuts on our dirt road.

Thanks for bringin' back the momories.

18. stewdecky

stewdecky
    from Kansas

The "Dust Bowl Spl"... What a awesome name for one cool ride. I'm always drawn to the vintage rides rather than the done ones. Nothing more fun to work on, you can't scratch the paint! VERY COOL!!

19. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Uber cool little hot rod. Makes me miss my "26 T roadster and the fun my wife and I had chugging around the country roads out here. I could be running flat out and neighbor farmers dog would give chase and I could reach down and pet him while he ran along side. Got to get another banger powered T before the dirt nap:)

Frank

20. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I think the name is perfect and is period correct---

21. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

That dose it! Now the secrets out! Building one of these is so much fun and affordable. I'm glad I got a head start on mine. Maybe it'll be running by the time the ones that are started by your infulence.

My '21 started as partial payment for work done in my shop. Found a '29 chassis on CL with extra parts. Sold off unwanted stuff and had money in my pocket. Long story short ...

[​IMG]

Have a great time and keep posting!!!!!!!!!

Ron

22. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Paul...thanks! There's several reasons why I decided on that and yes, it's pretty fitting considering my current economics and the area that we live!!

Youngster...that is SWEET!! I agree that this is a pretty affordable little car. Not going to win any races or shows with it but fortunatly for me, it's exactly the period of car that I like the most. I too sold off a ton of extra stuff that came with the body and chassis. That's a lot of the reason that I don't have much in it.

23. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

I did a little more tinkering on the "Dust Bowl" today. She now has floorboards! I also finished wiring up the ignition and fuel pump. Lastly, I started in on the deck lid and latch. The handle is from a 35 or 36 Ford. I've had it sitting around and always liked the deco look of it. I have to fab up a latch for it to get it to function but I think it will work well. The deck lid, as you can see, is just a very, rough skin. I'm working on some bracing for it too. This week I hope to get the head and taillights mounted and start in on the seat and some covers for the pedal area of the floorboards and firewall.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  24. Looks great Bugsy! I hope to see it at Jay's BBQ.

25. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Cactus1.....I do plan on being there wth it. My goal is to drive it to Jay's from here. It's not too far of a run but then again, it could end up being a LONG day!!

It's nice to be working on it again and finally see it come together. I'm down to the little things now to really get it on the road. But...you're never really done with these things anyway!!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  26. LostHope

LostHope

Bugsy just followed your link and read your whole thread, what a sweet ride looks like it would be a blast to drive!! Good job on the floor boards and congrats on the drive down the ally nothing like the first test drive, im always waiting for some loud noise and the rear end to come apart white knuckling the steering wheel, luckily thats never happened yet:D,Also I like the big sized fire extinguisher you got, ive read alot about guys trying to use those little wimpy ones you get from the autoparts store and them not doing crap and guys losing there cars.....Anyways just wanted to stop in and check out your build,looks fun,your doing a great job, and keep pluggin away! Im subscribed!

27. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Thanks man!! Yes...I've learned that me in a 90 year old garage with gasoline and various devices that produce spark and/or flames can be a real mess. I lit myself on fire the other day when I was testing an old fuel pump that was supposed to go on the roadster. Aparently, frayed, cover-all pant bottoms are highly flamable as well!!

Glad you like the "Dust Bowl"! I hope to keep progressing little by little!!

28. MrModelT

MrModelT

Those new pics are killer! The "Dust Bowl Spl" is looking really good!

...at least you HAVE a real steel deck lid.....I still haven't been able to find one, they are ELUSIVE! :D