Register now to get rid of these ads!

Door Hinge and Bearclaw Latch install threads???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IRON MAIDEN, Mar 19, 2012.

1. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

Was looking through the Tech threads and couldn't find what I need. In fact, a google search didn't help either. I want to ditch the factory hinges and dooe latches on my 46' Harvester. A hidden hinge setup would be cool. I've got to drill out a few bolts that are rusted and stripped holding the hinges to the cab of my truck. I figure I might as well go with a new setup since I will be going through all the trouble. A hidden hinge setup will help clean up the side of the truck as well. Also wanted to go with a bearclaw latch setup as well. Problem is, I've never done it before and am not having any luck finding any threads online that walk you through it. Or any clear info on how you adapt your stock handles to operate the door latches.
    Anyone know of a walkthrough or tech thread or any other info on a job like this??? Seems like it would be a common thing with builders and i would find all kinds of installs online. Nope!!!

2. wanabe28

wanabe28

No one, I'm interested as well.

3. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I only can help you with bear claw ,Heres how I did mine,I had the handles mounted on car and bear latches installed on door,Pin went in jamb ,Thats where I started,Opening and shutting door thousands of times,They have to be dead on,After that was done,and they closed,I made a tab for the square shaft ,Drilled a round hole ,Then filed it square till it fit,Then welded a drilled out nut on tab,Then drilled hole and installed a cotter pin,Then fabbed up a linkage rod from the handle tab to the bear claw,I forgot to add I drilled a hole in the steel,All this has to be dead on though .If you use this for a guide youll see what I mean....If the rod is to long the door will not latch because of the return in the bearclaw,I spent alot of time on this,And also keep in mind how your going to build your door panels.........

4. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I've actually taken all the step by step pictures of this install when I put suicide doors on my '66 Bug, including the bear claw latch (Jetta 3). It's basically the same for any old car. But rather than fill this sight with a couple dozen pics, I can PM them to you if you like.

[​IMG]

After sinking this latch into the door, I realized it would be cleaner if I just put it in from the inside.
    [​IMG]

5. Woob

Woob
    from Falcon, CO

He might not be the only one who's interested. ;)

BTT

6. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

theres a great video on youtube about hidden hinges. hhh part1 hagenauto.com

7. I do mine a little different. I like the latches on the B pillar and the pin on the door. I have shaved door handles and like to have a manual release inside and out. another plus I don't rip my pockets on the pins.

8. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN