Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stick or automatic?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barsteel, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Hello!

Been reading a lot of build threads and got to wondering...how many people out there want a stick vs. automatic, and why?

I'm FIRMLY in the stick camp...as someone's signature line said, "If it ain't got 3 pedals, it ain't not hot rod.", although I know that some people need an automatic because of back problems, etc.

Thoughts?

Chris

2. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I want a stick, but it's stupid expensive to put one behind a '55-'62 cadillac engine. One day......til then the stock hydramatic works pretty darn good.

3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Most of the cars I owned growing up were sticks. But, back then, the was no rush hour traffic. My last two stick cars had street and strip clutches and were a pain in traffic. After that, I'm a big believe in automatics, plus my wife can drive them. It seems, in Southern California, there'a a small window between 11:30 am and 1 pm, where the traffic is tolerable.

4. jmpowie

jmpowie

auto for me, one less pedal to fit in.

5. el caballo loco

el caballo loco
    from colorado

I'm in a T roadster and i got 3 pedals. I'm not a big dude though.

6. When I first started building cars there was no way I'd consider an automatic. Most were heavy inefficient and weak.Now both I and the transmissions have come a long way.You can build an auto to be almost bulletproof and make shift however you want and at my age I've gotten tired of jammin the clutch in traffic around town.These days it's an automatic for me.

7. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Doesn't matter to me as long as I look cool behind the wheel. And I'm ok with it being all in my head.

In all seriousness, it's more about what's available at the time.

8. F&J

F&J

I am regressing in old age. Always have had 4 speeds in muscle or rods, but now it has to be a non-syncro 3 speed, either column shift Ford, or top shift case.

9. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Sticks are fun and offer lots of control, but are a real drag if you drive in very much stop and go/slow traffic. Guess that is ok if you like changing out clutches frequently.

10. nutbush

nutbush
    from Texas

Stick for me all the way 100%. When I drive my hot rod, I want to actually drive it. For me, driving means shifting. I love the feel of the car when I downshift to second and let the clutch out around a turn. Sticks make me feel closer to the road, and closer to my car.

11. Id prefer a stick, my left hip has a different way of looking at it.

12. Window Licker

Window Licker

Stick all the way.

Ive only owned 1 automatic in my life so far, no complaints but no fun either, my hot rod has a T5 and i have a couple more T5s for future projects.

13. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

A 4 speed makes me feel more connected to the car. As far as traffic? I'm aggravated either way. For me, it has nothing to do with the 3rd pedal

14. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

My son asked " don't all the boys drive sticks"?

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

15. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Stick in one coupe, auto in the other......

16. squirrel

squirrel

Depends on the car, some of them need a stick, some are fine with an automatic. My 55 has an auto, it's kind of quick and I don't want things to break, so running a TH400 was the easy way out.

I've been having fun driving my old truck with the granny 4 speed...and working on a few granny 4 speed transmissions....

17. gotmark73

gotmark73

I'm building a T and it's gonna have three pedals. My OT BMW daily driver has three pedals. I like to make the decisions instead of my car.

18. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

I drive a 18 wheeler with a ten speed for living when I get home it's nice to drive a auto.my 28 and 32 will have 3 speeds the 40 woody will have a auto

19. Brog

Brog

Haha that's why it's called a Manual

20. I want a stick, but I race and consistancy comes with an automatic.

21. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Straight drive for me ,Please.....

Thank you very much.........

22. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

Stick for me. They are more fun and get better MPG. Plus keeps my left leg from getting bored.

23. teddyp

teddyp

lucky i have one of each my 50 chevy with a 350 -4 speed andmy 58 ford with a 292 y-block auto. i like driveing the stick more but sometimes it,s nice to have a auto.

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I wanted a stick, but with space limitations for pedals and linkage, it wasn't in the cards.

25. squirrel

squirrel

heh...I get better mileage in my 55 with the blown big block and automatic, then I do in my truck with a stock 454 and 4 speed.

26. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

I was talking about same car, same engine, same rear gears.

Plus you don't have worry about a damn stall with a stick. Big plus in my book.

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll probably still run the full syncro 3 speed in the 48 unless I change to a five speed and I have a five speed to go behind the flathead but If I were to build a custom besides the 48 it would have an automatic simply to make life easier.

Plus for many of us who are at that senior discount level the hips and knees aren't up to pushing a stiff clutch in traffic for a length of time. Ok to do road trips and a run to town but not the most fun when you get in a long line of cars going into or out of an event.

28. squirrel

squirrel

I had the same engine and gears in a different truck with an automatic, and got better mileage. Maybe I'm not as good at shifting as a valve body is?

yeah, stall is a pain, but it's fun when you get it set up right.

29. Stick is in my truck. Even though its only 3 gears, it will stay that way. The non syncro takes time to master and I am still working towards perfection.

30. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I've had both and honestly can't say one was more fun than the other. I've actually considered pulling the stick out of my 27 and going with a C4 so it will be more consistent at the drags and get the power to the tires a little better. My Son is running less cubes in his T but with a TCI C4 and when he leaves a light I have to push mine pretty hard to keep up, probably because of the loose converter and torque multiplication.

Sometimes there just isn't room in a hot rod to squeeze in that third pedal, no matter how you try, and todays automatics are really good, especially when worked over and with the right converter.

Don